PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Wayne Leach
06-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Well I have been lurki..-no admiring the work and enjoying the information from all the members for a while now. Finally all set up and doing the photos as well so thought I should introduce myself and become more involved now that I have more time.
I was born in Winnipeg,Manitoba and now reside on a lake in NW Ontario. I married a Winnipeg girl who is also my golf buddy! I worked as a designer and Engineering Technologist in the Aerospace Industry as well as owning a construction business in Ontario.
I retired several years ago and now persue hobbies such as woodturning,photography,golf and flying. We owned and flew our Piper aircraft on floats for 20 years and are now building an OspreyII amphibian aircraft.
We spend our winters in southern USA in Alabama and Georgia and I have a mini lathe in my 5th wheel trailer which I set up in an add-a-room on the side of the trailer.
When not golfing or ? I spend lots of time walking or mountain biking with our 2 German Shepherds.
I hope to include a pic of the oil lamp I finished yesterday so here goes.
Best regards,
Wayne

alex carey
06-10-2009, 11:11 PM
You got some great looking pieces, welcome to the forum, nice to have you.

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Welcome to SMC Wayne. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge. That is a great looking lamp.

Richard Madison
06-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Nice work Wayne. Welcome, and hope to see more of your turnings.

John W Dixon
06-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Wayne, that is some nice looking work. Welcome to the forum. Ton of knowledge on here.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Welcome to the Creek Wayne! Nice looking turnings.

Jim Koepke
06-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Welcome to the Creek, one of my cousins is from Winnipeg. My father was from Saskatchewan.

Small world with the internet and all.

BTW, nice work.

jim

Steve Schlumpf
06-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Wayne - Welcome to the Creek! Great looking turnings - looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Billy Tallant
06-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Wayne, welcome to the forum... Very nice looking work. I really like the wood in that lamp. It really stands out.

Allen Neighbors
06-11-2009, 6:46 AM
Wayne, welcome to the Creek! We're glad to have you! That is a spectacular piece of Birch, and a very well made oil lamp! Do you actually put oil in it? My wife is curious.....need I say more? :)

Mike Golka
06-11-2009, 8:22 AM
Welcome aboard Wayne. Always nice to have a fellow Canuk join the crowd. Very nice work on the lamp, hope to see more. By the way, where did you get the insert for that?

Mark Placek
06-11-2009, 8:52 AM
Hello Wayne,

Greetings from Niagara Falls.
Nice looking work you have posted.
You'll find a lot of inspiration and knowledge on this forum.

Ken Glass
06-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Welcome Wayne,
You look as if you are already way past New! Great looking pieces. The lamp has wonderful form and proportion. You will find a wealth of good information, ideas and great people here in the Vortex.

Wayne Leach
06-11-2009, 1:41 PM
Hi Allen,
I recognize you from your work from the past on WC. Appreciate the interest in the lamp, yes it is a working model - my wife wants several on hand for when the power goes out here. The oil reservoir is from Craft Supplies USA but they want too much for the glass chimneys so I get them at Wallmart in the candle section or Michaels for around $2.00
Wayne

Wayne Leach
06-11-2009, 1:46 PM
Welcome aboard Wayne. Always nice to have a fellow Canuk join the crowd. Very nice work on the lamp, hope to see more. By the way, where did you get the insert for that?
Hi Mike,
The oil reservoir is from Craft Supplies USA but they want too much for the glass chimneys so I get them at Wallmart in the candle section or Michaels for around $2.00, usually stock up on parts when I am down south for the winter.
I have relatives in Alberta(Calgary) but have not been there since 1966-probably lots of changes.
Regards,
Wayne

Wayne Leach
06-11-2009, 1:51 PM
Thanks a bunch for the warm welcome everyone, and thanks also for the interest in my latest oil lamp creation.
Sure seems like a great bunch of turners and I look forward to participating more often.:)
Best regards,
Wayne