PDA

View Full Version : Router Collet Extensions

Jim Summers
06-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Hello All,

Does anyone have any experiences with router collet extensions? I need to get a little more height on my router table.

I found this:
CMT 796.001.00 Router Collet Extension 1/2-Inch

on amazon. Looks safe to use and pretty solid.

Any experiences?

Ideas / Suggestions?

TIA

Rich Aldrich
06-10-2009, 10:36 PM
I have one from MLCS. I thought the collet nut does not retract under the table when my plunge router is lowered as far as possible, but it still sticks up above the table. One of my friends borrowed it to see if he could use it, but he has the same issue. Either I dont know how to use it or you have to have a router lift. I have one that has never been used.

Pete Janke
06-11-2009, 1:42 AM
I have a Xtreme Xtension collet extension on my Hitachi M12V in a Woodpecker UniLift. Works great and fairly easy bit changing. I have not experienced any problems. This picture doesn't show it :rolleyes: but the extension is just below the router bit in the table.

Rick Gooden
06-11-2009, 8:16 AM
+1 for the Xtreme Xtension

Matt Tawes
06-11-2009, 8:52 AM
I have the extreme ext. and one by MLCS and both caused excessive vibration and poor cuts with anything other than maybe a very slender straight bit. No matter what I tried in shifting them around in the collet they were each just plain off balance and even with nothing in them would vibrate my cast iron tabletop. Novel idea that could have been useful but basically were a waste of money for me.

Chip Lindley
06-11-2009, 1:19 PM
Might as well go *Wrenchless* while you are extending your collet's reach! Check out the Eliminator RC Quick Change Chuck aka Whiteside Quick Change router chuck. The chuck is 1/2" but adapter collets are available in 3/8" and 1/4".

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hi?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=whiteside+chuck+porter+cable&x=13&y=18

Going *wrenchless* means you do not have to raise the whole chuck above table height to change bits. An allen wrench is all you need, and can usually be inserted at the table opening on all but perhaps the largest router bits.