PDA

View Full Version : Ulmia workbenches?? any good??

Jeff Monson
06-10-2009, 9:30 PM
Anyone here familar with Ulmia workbenches, there is a 7.5 foot with end vises for sale on craigslist, the guy wants 1000.00 for it. Is this a good deal??

Bob Hoffmann
06-10-2009, 10:22 PM
I have an Ulmia bench that I baught when I was in Germany -- smaller size -- about 6' in length, with a tail vise and shoulder vise. It was brought ot the US in '85, and has performed flawlessly since.

It was purchased for around 800 DM -- which ended up being around $275 -- wich was a really good deal. It came with 2 bench dogs -- which you should be sure that it still has with the bench.

It is one of the tools that I consider that I "need" in my shop. It is true that when you have a solid place to holdstock -- every thing is easier and safer.

Is the asking price worth it? Depends on your budget, but you will most likely use it second only to your table saw. It performs flawlessly -- in the festtool class of tools. If I remember right -- that size used to sell around $1500 when Garrett Wade used to sell them ... but I could be off + or - $500.

Frank Drew
06-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Jeff,

As Bob said, Ulmia made top quality benches (and table saws and hand tools, etc..) The price of the bench you're looking at might or might not be high, depending on condition and age, and against what a comparable bench would cost new. From what little I think I've seen about current prices, $1000 doesn't seem totally out of line if the bench is in really good shape.