PDA

View Full Version : True Artist

Gary Max
06-10-2009, 8:40 PM
I just love her work----yup----Mother Nature.
I just hang on to the tools.
Maple---Spalted
Fresh off the lathe
Thought you folks might enjoy some color---both pics same HF

Greg Just
06-10-2009, 8:48 PM
The colors are amazing - Thanks for sharing

alex carey
06-10-2009, 8:52 PM
She truly is an artist. Great piece of wood.

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Wow. That is some great color.

Wayne Leach
06-10-2009, 11:12 PM
I love turning spalted wood and that piece looks great.
Wayne

John W Dixon
06-10-2009, 11:30 PM
That is pretty cool coloring in that wood.

John

Steve Schlumpf
06-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Nice work Gary! Great looking wood! Hard to tell from the photos - about how big is your hollow form?

Gary Max
06-11-2009, 3:12 AM
Steve she stands 9 inchs tall----the opening is less than 2 inchs.
In the second pic----if you look through the opening----you can see sun light shinning through the wall of the HF.

Don Eddard
06-11-2009, 3:15 PM
Pretty wood. You might look at your photo software and see where the "Rotate Picture" option is. That way you won't have to post sideways pictures. I know you're proud of your work, so you should try to display it in a more flattering manner.

Gary Max
06-11-2009, 5:20 PM
Hey Don----did you know that for only $6.00 per year you could help pay the bills around here or did you spend all your money on software?????-----oh that's right you don't post pics either.

Steve Frederick
06-11-2009, 5:48 PM
Hey Don----did you know that for only $6.00 per year you could help pay the bills around here ....
Amen!

Gary, that's some nice work! Will you be adding a finish? If so, what?

Gary Max
06-11-2009, 6:42 PM
Steve ----I am looking at Danish oil--several coats--- and buffing it out.
This will take some time to do----I like each coat of oil to dry for about a week.

Don Eddard
06-11-2009, 10:34 PM
OK Gary, here's a picture for you. This is one of my more traditional pieces from a while back, nothing special. It's walnut and ebony, about 14" tall overall. My current work involves some unique segmenting and I don't show pics of those pieces on the Internet.

Feel free to critique it to your heart's delight. I won't be insulted or hurt if you don't like it.

BTW, I was honestly trying to help you improve the presentation of your work. Sorry I didn't just bow at your feet and tell you how wonderful it was like others have. Believe it or not, we all have room for improvement, including you. As I understand it, you're trying to do this for money. I'd think you'd be interested in making your work look its best. And I'll disregard your snide comment about buying software. You apparently don't know that whatever it takes to turn your picture 90 degrees is probably already built into your computer. If you're using Windows, you should be able to right-click on the picture in Windows Explorer and select "Rotate Clockwise" or "Rotate Counterclockwise". Macs probably have the same option somewhere.

Oh, and please give the "$6.00" pitch a rest. I get it, OK? I choose not to pay. Simple as that.

Gary Max
06-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Even better---why don't you just get a life and leave my post alone.

Don Eddard
06-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Consider it done. Best of luck to you. :cool:

Oh, and Attaboy! Nice form and finish!

Mark Burge
06-12-2009, 1:00 PM
Cool HF. I was going to make a joke like "how did you get it to float in the air like that?" but there seems to be some testy feelings about pictures. Anyway, I see that you left the pith near the opening on the top. I would be afraid that it would tend to split there. Did you do anything special to avoid that?

Nice work.

Gary Max
06-12-2009, 1:05 PM
Mark----I buy CA in 16 0z bottles.

Curt Fuller
06-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Pretty wood. You might look at your photo software and see where the "Rotate Picture" option is. That way you won't have to post sideways pictures. I know you're proud of your work, so you should try to display it in a more flattering manner.

Gary, honest criticism and suggestions seem to be what everyone wants when they post their work. But reactions like yours are what keep members (paying and non-paying) from giving them. Maybe you have an ongoing feud or something that I don't know about but I thought you were served up a pretty honest and straight forward suggestion.

BTW Don, not to hijack the thread, but that's a beautiful hollowform.

Gary Max
06-13-2009, 5:38 PM
His last post about my work----- http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=112548
And that should speak for itself.

Barry Stratton
06-13-2009, 6:38 PM
I agree, Mother Nature did "her" part on that hunk of wood! I hope it sells quickly for you.

And also not to hijack, but that HF is AWESOME Don!