PDA

View Full Version : Solid Colour Acrylic

Dave Lock
06-10-2009, 5:55 PM
Hi Guys & Gals,

I have a question regarding rastering acrylic that's a solid colour. I haven't done any of this yet and was wondering how is engraves.
Do you get the same finish as with clear? I mean, if I engraved on black or another dark colour, would I have the 'white' in the engraved areas?

I don't actually have a requirement for it presently but I was curious.

Many thanks

Dave.

Dan Hintz
06-10-2009, 8:05 PM
Cast, yes. Extruded, no.

Dave Lock
06-10-2009, 8:10 PM
Cheers Dan.

Dan Hintz
06-10-2009, 8:14 PM
Note, however, you may not get such a "clean" white as you see with clear, depending upon color. Clear tends to etch so white because there's no surrounding color to throw it off, but colored acrylics may tend to muddy that a bit. not a huge deal in most cases, but something to be aware of.

Dave Lock
06-10-2009, 8:54 PM
Thanks again Dan,

I do some recognition awards for a local branch of a hardware chain store using frosted acrylic.

I was thinking that gloss black acrylic may look real nice with white text. I guess I could always colour fill if it's not quite white enough. Worth a try.

http://lincs-hft-club.co.uk/forum/uploads/IMG2-1244681445.jpg

(Sorry about poor picture quality).

Regards

Dave.

Marc Myer
06-11-2009, 2:18 PM
I just visited my local plastics supplier to pick up some colored acrylic.
They said they no longer carry any colored acrylic! They claimed customers now just buy clear and paint it.
???!!!

Carol Barbero
06-12-2009, 2:39 PM
I bought black acrylic plaques from Laser bits. I did two attempts before the light bulb came on - I was doing it on the front! Once I did it on the back I got a very nice quality product and the picture came out amazing. If I can get a pic, I will post.

Brian Robison
06-12-2009, 3:05 PM
In the US, Delvies Plastics has a good selection of cast acrylics. Red is the tough one I think the number is 2283?

Rodne Gold
06-12-2009, 4:06 PM
You really need to deep engrave and colourfill solid coloured acrylics - you can fill with rub n buff and many other coloured gilders pastes found in hooby/crafts stores or just flood fill with paint , just lasering will always give a rather insipid mark.