PDA

View Full Version : Jewelery box gift

Jim Pritchett
06-10-2009, 5:25 PM
Hi Guys---and Ladies,
I am attempting to learn how to attach photos to my posts, so here goes.
These photos are of a jewelery box I made for my neighbor's daughter who just graduated from college. This box is my fourth effort since attempting
Incra joinery and still has a couple of "uh-oh's" that most of the uninitiated will probably not notice. The box is made of curly maple, walnut and padauk.120311

nancy barry
06-10-2009, 7:39 PM
WOW! pics came through just fine.. Lucky gals to have you to make such a wonderful gift.
nancyB

Paul Hathaway
06-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Nice box! Hope my work turns out that good one day.

Mark Valsi
06-10-2009, 11:38 PM
nice work

love the joinery

John Keeton
06-11-2009, 7:00 AM
Really nice work! That is some beautiful maple, and the "inerds" sure add a lot to the overall project.

I might add, the box certainly displays well on the table - what is the story on that?

Jim Pritchett
06-11-2009, 7:43 AM
John,
The top of the cabinet I used to display the jewelry box is from a "memory chest" I built for the LOML. It was the first piece I built after I set up my shop after retirement 2 years ago. I had built her a simple chest 35 years ago and she finally filled it with memorabilia from our work travels and children and grandchildren stuff. She wanted a larger piece that would also store the original chest. Jim 120373

John Keeton
06-11-2009, 7:51 AM
"Chest in a chest" rather than "chest on a chest!" Jim, that is a really nice project. I love the contrasting woods and the way you used them in the piece. The original chest looks pretty neat, too.

I look forward to the "retirement" days! A few years off for me, but I am counting down.

Ed Sallee
06-11-2009, 8:14 AM
Very nice, on both of the projects.... The incra jigs sure do open up some possibilities...

Let's see your box projects 1 through 3????

Very appealing design and combination of wood. Excellent!!!

Jim Pritchett
06-11-2009, 9:02 AM
Ed, The first 3 boxes I made were receipe boxes for my grandaughter, SIL and LOML. After some trial and error, I finally got the proportions right so the index and receipe cards could be easily extracted. Thanks for asking to see my early efforts. Jim

Jeff Mohr
06-11-2009, 9:43 AM
Jim,
Fantastic work! Makes me want to get out to the shop and fire up the incra!

Ed Sallee
06-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Very nice..... and thanks for digging up the old pics.

So, what, exactly, do you need from incra to accomplish those joints & the hinges....

I may have to make an investment sometime in the near future....

John Thompson
06-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Extremely nice construction here. Love the joinery on the box.. love the concept of the chest and I don't think I have seen the contrast of the chest done in that manner. I like it.

Well the bad news is I got a box builder on one side over in Stone Mtn. and a box builder on the other side over in Flowery Branch. Seems the squeeze has been put on me in L'ville so I probably need to go down the re-inforce my shop walls. :)

Regards...

Sarge..

Ed Sallee
06-11-2009, 1:08 PM
Well the bad news is I got a box builder on one side over in Stone Mtn. and a box builder on the other side over in Flowery Branch. Seems the squeeze has been put on me in L'ville so I probably need to go down the re-inforce my shop walls. :)

Regards...

Sarge..

Feeling a little "boxed" in Sarge? lol

Dang, Jim... I didn't see you were in Stone Mountain....

Jim Pritchett
06-11-2009, 1:58 PM
Ed & Sarge,

FYI, The system I use is the INCRA LS Positioner 17" Super System which includes the Wonder split fence. Photo #1 is my overall router table set up. Photo # 2 set up for INCRA joinery, i.e., box joints, dovetails, double double boxjoints, corner double dovetails, etc., etc. Photo #3 is the carriage clamp. Photo #4 is the micro adjustment wheel which allows you to move the fence .001" per click. Photo #5 shows the Wonder split fence
attachment which allows use of large diameter bits such as panel raising bits. I hope you find this info helpful and I think you will enjoy using this system as I have. Thanks for you comments and if you are ever down around "The Big Rock" give me a call and lets see if we can meet for lunch or whatever. Jim Pritchett. I forgot to add the hinges were made with the INCRA Hingecrafter. A little time consuming and tedious but worth the effort I think.

Ed Sallee
06-11-2009, 2:44 PM
Jim,

Thanks for all the information..... and the next time I head towards "the rock"... I'll definitely look you up....

Same goes for you.. If you ever wind up out here in "Falcon Country"... let me know... I'll leave the light on for ya and brew up a fresh batch of joe.

Brad Wood
06-11-2009, 5:50 PM
yep, really nice

John Thompson
06-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Nice set-up and shop, Jim. That is really a nice router set-up. I use a homemade fence and table cabinet which works. I love my Incra miter gauge and telescope fence to 49" but the router talbe system is a bit out of my price range as I had to retire 1 1/2 years early and work a budget until October when I officially retire. The wife is retired from the State and all is paid for so when I got laid off in 2007 I just decided enough is enough.

Regards from L'ville...

Sarge..

Jim Pritchett
06-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the comments, Sarge. I surely do like my router table set up and it was not really that expensive. I bought the basic cabinet on sale from a guy in Nova Scotia for only about $25 more than I would have paid for the materials locally, added the drawer stack from scrap birch ply and walnut trim. The top I built from 2 layers of MDF but had to buy 1- 4X8 sheet of Formica Micro Dot Laminate. Obviously the most expensive part of the entire system is the INCRA equipment. I also really like my INCRA miter 1000se that I plan to retrofit with the 49" fence. Thanks for your interest and come see us. Jim

Floyd Cox
06-12-2009, 5:05 AM
That is beautiful, I hope to be able to do that quality work someday.

John Thompson
06-12-2009, 11:35 AM
I think you will find the 49" fence a major plus, Jim. I do mainly large carcass work and do work with quite a bit of lenghthy stock. I'm just finishing a hutch for a compter desk that the cross components are around 56" long. I had to stop and make a sacrificial fence 60" long by laminating two pieces of birch ply together to avoid flex. So.. even 49" comes up short some days with large carcass.

BTW.. I picked it up from the Incra web-site on sale for $54 I believe and it was rather easy to retro-fit to my cheaper V 27 gauge. I intentionally got the cheaper V 27 as I can make sacrificial fences of any lenght in under 20 minutes and don't regret that call.

Have a good day as mine is mixed.. usually get to the shop by noon and sometimes stay until 11 PM. But.. I saw the Toro mower had been wheeling in front of my TS this morning when I went down to the shop for something. That is my tell that "she" wants the yard mown without having to say one word. Amazing how two people can get to know each other so well..... :D

Sarge..

Buddy Morphis
06-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Jim very nice work ! Im going to attempt to build some jewelry boxes soon. I just hope its half as nice as your. Thanks for posting and pics came through very nice.
Buddy