PDA

View Full Version : Bending a tablesaw blade

Brian Kerley
06-10-2009, 5:15 PM
So I'm trying to figure out what is going on, and I'm not quite sure how to approach this. Over the weekend I went to take off my WWII and put on my dado stack. My WWII has always been a fairly tight fit on the arbor and it's not unheard of for me to tap the blade near the arbor nut with the rubberized ends of a pair of pliers to knock the blade loose. This time, it took a TON of banging/pounding/pulling to get it off. Put the dado stack on, everything worked well. Went to put the WWII back on and now it doesn't appear that I can seat the blade all the way against the arbor flange. I'm not sure if this is due to the blade just being tight around the arbor as usual or if the blade is bent. When I turn it on, it wobbles by about 1/32" to 1/64" (i measured the width of the cut). I've tightened that arbor nut down as hard as I can and I can't get the blade to seat entirely. Is it possible that I bent my blade?! I wasn't really pulling on the edges, just hitting it near the arbor flange to knock it free. Any way to try to get my blade to seat properly? Thanks guys!

glenn bradley
06-10-2009, 5:36 PM
Forrest should be able to true that up for you. While you have it off you might put a caliper on it to see if the hole is undersized(?). Doubtful but, if it turns out to be so they could fix that too. What kind of dado stack are you running? My WWII fits fine but my Freud SD508 slides on only if very perpendicular to the shaft. It has an almost annoyingly good fit.

Philip Johnson
06-10-2009, 6:34 PM
All my forrest blades slide on and off very easy I never have to bang on them. I would check your arbor and the blade sounds like something is not quite right.

Brian Kerley
06-10-2009, 6:41 PM
Forrest should be able to true that up for you. While you have it off you might put a caliper on it to see if the hole is undersized(?). Doubtful but, if it turns out to be so they could fix that too. What kind of dado stack are you running? My WWII fits fine but my Freud SD508 slides on only if very perpendicular to the shaft. It has an almost annoyingly good fit.

I have a freud stack (about 2 years old with all the shims, chippers, etc). I think I remember my stack not fitting the first time, but after that everything was ok. What should the arbor hole size be?