PDA

View Full Version : Motor question

Chris Rae
06-10-2009, 5:09 PM
Could I use a variable speed router controller with a washing machine motor to make a variable speed buffing wheel? I know you can't use them with a lathe motor, but I don't know about a washing machine motor. I'd like to have a variable speed buffer for buffing finishes.
Thanks!

robert hainstock
06-10-2009, 5:20 PM
Most router controlers are made for what is called a "universal, or AC-DC motor" The ones with brushes on the sides. If your motor has brushes, It might work. If not it will most likely amke a LOUD smoking noise and BAD words will be said. :eek::eek::)
Bob

John Fricke
06-10-2009, 9:05 PM
Chris,
Seems to me an old treadmill mechanism would be just the ticket. Should have the variable speed built into the system.

Check your local craigs list adds and maybe even post an add that you are looking for an old treadmill that the motor runs but the frame/belt is bad.

David Christopher
06-10-2009, 9:37 PM
Chris, I have a DC motor with arbor for buffing....it is variable speed ( 0 to 3500 ) and reverseable if youre interested

Gary Conklin
06-10-2009, 9:49 PM
David,

If Chris isn't I might be.

Chris Rae
06-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the info guys! Go ahead on David's motor Gary, I think I know where I might be able to get an old treadmill. Thanks again!