PDA

View Full Version : Krenov Style Plane (pic)

Garth Jones
06-10-2009, 4:21 PM
Hi Everybody,

I'm quite new to the Creek (I've posted over in the turners' forum) but I've been building furniture for fun and money for about 10 years now. Anyway, I just got David Finck's book on wood planes, and, having some spare bits of bubinga...

This is a jack plane, about 13" long, with a 1.75" Hock blade and chip breaker in it. The only finish on it right now is a couple of coats of Danish oil. It works very well and so far I'm really liking the feel of it.

For the last several years I have used the Scary Sharp method of sharpening everything, but decided to give Finck's method (grinder, then hone with an 8000 grit stone) a try. It works wonderfully well. I thought I was getting good results with SS, but this is MUCH better. I've tuned up all my other plane irons and chisels and am now getting glass-like results on long grain and end grain.

I don't think I would recommend Finck's book to a brand new woodworker, but for anybody with even a little experience, it is very useful (sharpening, tool setup, etc. etc.).

Cheers,
Garth

Casey Gooding
06-10-2009, 4:39 PM
Nice job. That's a great book. Building your own planes is very rewarding, and fun.
Enjoy it!

Michael Faurot
06-10-2009, 5:36 PM
That came out nice. You're in trouble now though. Building planes is like that old potato chip commercial--you can't just make one. :)

Garth Jones
06-10-2009, 6:42 PM
Michael - I have no idea what you mean. My list isn't that long - just a spar plane, and maybe a smoother, and a little block plane (not that I really need one since I have a very nice LN low angle block), and maybe, well.....

I think the vortex has me.:)

Garth

George Beck
06-10-2009, 6:58 PM
Garth

I really like your plane. Nice clean lines and carefully shaped. David's book is an excellent teacher and you are obviously a quick student.

Make fluffy shavings!

George

Chuck Hamman
06-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Garth,
Love the plane. You did a real nice job capturing the Krenov style, of which I am particularly fond. And I agree that David's book is a wealth of information; I'm happy to see it is back in print.
Here is one of several I've built, inspired by JK & DF. This one is from Ipe, similar dimensions to yours, and a Ron Brese iron.

Regards,
-Chuck

James Scheffler
06-10-2009, 11:34 PM
Garth,
Love the plane. You did a real nice job capturing the Krenov style, of which I am particularly fond. And I agree that David's book is a wealth of information; I'm happy to see it is back in print.
Here is one of several I've built, inspired by JK & DF. This one is from Ipe, similar dimensions to yours, and a Ron Brese iron.

Regards,
-Chuck

Has anyone used David's plane blades? How do they compare to the Hock blades? And I don't think I've heard of Ron Brese irons before. What do you think of them? I'll have to google it....

I have David's book and I'm thinking of building one of these too.

Thanks,
Jim

Andrew Hughes
06-11-2009, 3:10 AM
I use finicks blades.I like them alot.A bit more work to prepare them when they first arrived.I have the three sizes he offers.I also have hock irons and lie neilson plane.David finicks irons hold the edge little bit longer in my experiance.

Chuck Hamman
06-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Jim,
I hope I'm not too late. Search on breseplane.com but hold onto your butt! - Ron's work will blow you away.

Regards,
-Chuck

Michael Faurot
06-11-2009, 12:47 PM
And I don't think I've heard of Ron Brese irons before. What do you think of them? I'll have to google it....

They're excellent. I've used a 2" wide one and it's a full 1/4" thick. No need to use a chip breaker. If you compare the price between a 2" wide Ron Brese blade and 2" wide "plane iron assembly" from Ron Hock, the Brese iron is only a few dollars more. Without that chip breaker, it simplifies the plane building as you don't need to have a groove in there to accommodate the screw on a chip breaker.

James Scheffler
06-11-2009, 2:54 PM
Jim,
I hope I'm not too late. Search on breseplane.com but hold onto your butt! - Ron's work will blow you away.

Regards,
-Chuck

Not too late. I take weeks to decide on this sort of thing.

And you're right - Ron's planes are absolute works of art!

Jim