PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Resaw King Blade Problem

Larry Nagel
06-10-2009, 10:13 AM
I have a Laguna 14” bandsaw that I purchased in January of this year. Ever since I got the saw, the 1” resaw king blade has not worked properly. I had to put a great deal of force to get the wood through when resawing. I wasn’t sure how much force I really needed. At any rate, I put on my spare Laguna resaw king blade on and it seemed to cut a lot faster. But the blade is hitting something. My first cut on a ¾” piece of wood seemed to vibrate. When I tried to resaw a 3-4” piece of wood something was hitting. Then I realized that the blade is biting the wood and causing some sort of kickback. Tried a couple of other pieces of wood and the blade seems like it is biting the wood. Put the old blade back on to see if it did the same thing. It cut like it did before -- very slow, but no kickback or any indication that anything was wrong. I called Laguna customer service and they seemed to think it was the blade since the original one is not giving me those problems. I received the new blade and it is doing the same thing. Take a 3-4” piece of wood, put it up to the blade and it wants to throw the wood back. There is severe vibration and bouncing when pushing the wood through. So much so that it actually cracked the phonelic insert and it is now in a couple of pieces. There is definitely a problem. Every one I have spoken to thinks it is the blade and not the saw. Has anyone had any issues with this blade in the manner I am describing? Been using the saw since January and have been very happy with it. But is it the setup, the blade, me, or the saw? I have returned both new blades back to Laguna and am waiting to see what they have to say. I also have ordered a Timberwolf 1” carbide blade from Suffolk Machinery to try another blade to see if I have better results.
Guys, help!!

Chris Padilla
06-10-2009, 10:40 AM
I have a Laguna 14” bandsaw that I purchased in January of this year. Ever since I got the saw, the 1” resaw king blade has not worked properly.

Larry,

For starters, I do not think a 1" wide blade is meant to bend over such small diameters wheels as a 14" bandsaw. I would guess that you cannot tension such a wide blade adequate enough for your bandsaw and that could be your issue. I am surprised dealers would sell you a 1" wide blade....

Have you ever tried a 1/2" blade?

Dan Friedrichs
06-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Chris is right. I don't believe Laguna sells a 14" saw that will handle a 1" blade. IIRC, the widest blade they say to put on a 14" saw is 3/4". I'm astounded no one at Laguna has mentioned this as being a possible problem.

I've bought a few blades from Laguna that are very nice, except they did a poor job dressing the weld on the back edge of the blade. They've left a little protruding from the back of the weld, which hits the ceramic guide, causing vibration. A few passes with a file fixed this problem.

Larry Nagel
06-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Dan,
Laguna absolutely recommends their 1" resaw blade for their 14" bandsaw. As a matter of fact, when I purchased the 14" saw they were pushing the 1" resaw blade. Buy 1 at approximately $190 and get the second one for half price.
If you call them, or look at their website, you can find this. I believe they may even have a video on their site using this blade on one of their 14" saws. I spoke to their in-house engineer yesterday in trying to resolve this issue. It is an absolute given that they say you can use and recommend, this blade on their 14" saw.
Dan, this is one of the reasons I bought the saw. This is the first I hear that the 1" may be too big for the saw.

Dan Friedrichs
06-10-2009, 11:47 AM
If you look at their cheaper 1" blades, the page on their website says "We do not recommend this blade for bandsaws of 16 inches and lower. " for all the blades >3/4".

I suppose the "Resaw King" may be different?

Chris Padilla
06-10-2009, 1:52 PM
I know that a lot of people think that for resawing, wider is better but I'm not so sure that is the case. I've resawed with 1" and 1/2" wide blade on my 20" bandsaw and I'd have to say that the 1/2" blade, at 20% the cost of the 1" blade, did admirably. (the 1" was a Lenox Trimaster [carbide] and the 1/2" was Lenox Diemaster2 [bimetal]).

I know the Resaw King is NOT a carbide blade (in fact, I'm not sure what it is....) so it could be a different beast....

I'd recommend a 3/4" or 1/2" blade to start with and see if you notice any difference.

Iturra's Bladerunner would be a good choice (same as the Woodslicer, just cheaper). I'd also recommend a Lenox Diemaster2--mine is 1/2", 6 tpi, hook style.

Dan Lee
06-10-2009, 3:02 PM
I agree with Chris I use 1" Trimaster and 1/2" BladeRunners on domestic HWs and some exotics. I generally see little difference as long as everything else is set up correctly. And the Bladerunner is sharp(which doesn't last very long:)).
I seem to be able to feed faster on wider 8"+ boards with the 1".
Dan

David Christopher
06-10-2009, 3:40 PM
Larry, I have 4 resaw king blades and they cut smooth as butter...mine are 3/4" on a 14" Rikon

guy knight
06-10-2009, 4:05 PM
1" is to big for a 14" saw i wouldn't go over 1/2 personally on that size of saw i run a 1" on my 20" and wouldn't want to put a 1 1/4 on it