PDA

View Full Version : EC with works in a drawer

Lee Schierer
06-10-2009, 10:12 AM
LOML wanted an EC for our TV and stereo equipment, but didn't want a huge Armoire type. She also wanted to "hide" the electronics when not in use so doors were needed. It had to go into the corner of our living room so the design was a corner cabinet. I worked out the details with my cad program and was able to address the biggest concern I had which was how to get to the wires of the electronics if the cabinet was in the corner and would weigh too much to move when full.

The answer was to put all the electronics on a pull out shelf arrangement with over travel slides. The slides are longer than the pull out unit plus they have enough over travel that despite the depth of the sliding door track, I can just see and reach behind to plug things in and all the wires are hidden behind the pullout. I did not install a fan, because the fit of the electronics leaves enough space for air circulation, plus there are air slots in the back panel.

The cabinet is made of red oak with red oak plywood for the interior hidden portions. The raised panels were done on my table saw with a little help from my router (I have instructions on my web site on how to do this). The doors are mounted on sliding rollers in plastic tracks. The inner doors and the outer doors are all the same width and height so they are inter changeable and pass behind one another. The inserts for the sliding doors are really easy to use and adjust for height if needed. The shelves in the pull out and side compartments are fully adjustable.

All the 45 degree angle bevels on the carcase pieces were easily done thanks to my Beal tilt box digital angle gauge. I was able to make the needed cuts separated by several days and lots of other 90 degree cuts and still get the angles perfect.

The stain is a Minwax Brazilian Rosewood stain and the finish is Deft semi gloss clear wood finish.

Thanks for viewing.

John Thompson
06-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Very nice and very clever on the slide out for the electronics. I also like the way you handled the inner doors to swing out and the outer's to swing in to keep the traffic pattern to minimal when the doors are open if I see it correctly from the pics. I just fought the same basic battle with a computer desk-hutch (almost done as hockey play-offs causes delays :)) on hiding and getting a blend with modern and old.

Well done...

Sarge..

Lee Schierer
06-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Very nice and very clever on the slide out for the electronics. I also like the way you handled the inner doors to swing out and the outer's to swing in to keep the traffic pattern to minimal when the doors are open if I see it correctly from the pics. I just fought the same basic battle with a computer desk-hutch (almost done as hockey play-offs causes delays :)) on hiding and getting a blend with modern and old.

Well done...

Sarge..

The doors don't swing, they are side sliders.....

Jim Becker
06-10-2009, 5:38 PM
Nice work as always, Lee.

John Keeton
06-10-2009, 6:09 PM
A feat of engineering genius!! Very nice project, with a lot of planning behind it. Nice color, as well.

John Thompson
06-10-2009, 7:48 PM
The doors don't swing, they are side sliders.....

Thanks for the corection Lee. I thought they might be at first as I most definitely missed a comment about the depth of sliding doors. My boo-boo there. But.. I kept looking and finally came the to conclussion they swung and the grain just blended together when open.

Bottom line is even better for traffic around the piece with the sliding doors and even closed.. I couldn't detect the inset in the picture.

Really nicely done...

Sarge..