PDA

View Full Version : Chain saw saw horse

tom martin
06-10-2009, 9:02 AM
I was bouncing around the web this morning and found these plans from John Lannom on a pretty sturdy chainsaw saw horse. Looks like it would be very easy to build and a lot safer than propping logs on the ground to cut blanks!
Anyone have any other ideas??
http://www.ovwg.org/New-OVWG-Site/Techniques/Saw%20horse.pdf

Bruce McElhaney
06-10-2009, 9:42 AM
Looks like a pretty good plan from here. I made a traditional double X type saw horse out of some extra lumber on hand, but rarely use it except of some occasional ripping. Problem is, you need to lift the log up on to the horse to use it, and that's tough on the old back. It's just easier and quicker to cut logs on the ground with a small prop up.

Brian George
06-10-2009, 10:42 AM
That is a great plan. Problem for me will be lifting the log to the horse. Can never find a young buck when you need one, as they say.

Jeff Nicol
06-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Tom, I have one like that ,but not quite so beefy. I need to replace the two angled boards on mine as I have just about cut them to pieces! Here is what it looks like today after a bunch of bowl blanks yesterday! Works great and if you cut the logs into manageble chunks like firewood size not to hard to get them on there.

Jeff

Reed Gray
06-10-2009, 11:22 AM
The shavings are so thick in my chainsaw cutting area that I can cut all the way through on the ground. However, it is much easier to roll it or tip it up onto some thing higher for cutting, even if I have to roll onto a lower log then onto the top one. Some times I just lift it up. An old log that I am not going to use about 24 inches up is fine, and if I cut into it, no problem. After a number of bowls, there is a nice groove cut into the top of the log to keep things from rolling. Before that, there always are some cut offs that I can wedge into the sides of the log to keep it from rolling.

Making a perfectly flat cut through the center of the log is the hardest part.

robo hippy

Chip Sutherland
06-10-2009, 12:46 PM
I was about to embark on my own design this weekend. I desperately need to get off the ground to save my back lest I hurt it which will make my turning aspirations suffer. I like this design. The only drawback is that it's not very portable but I see some things to make me reconsider.

I don't have a truck and I will often stumble onto wood that has been cut but not cut up enough for the local refuse folks to take it and too big for me to toss in the trunk. But if I'm gonna run home to get the chainsaw, I might as well toss in a cutting stand that can be reassembled on site.

Occassionally, I use a friends ATV for wood prospecting in on his land so it would be nice to be able to haul it out to the site. I make multiple trips anyway.

Jim King
06-10-2009, 1:20 PM
This is the type of saw buck I use here in the jungle. You can make them anywhere and you dont need nails. This one is made of bloodwood that was not real nice.

Ryan Baker
06-10-2009, 9:13 PM
I was planning on building one soon too. Most of the designs I have seen are pretty close to the one you linked to. The important thing to remember is to not use any metal fasteners in the top boards. You will be sorry when you hit them with the chain. The top boards should be easily replaceable too, since you will mess them up pretty fast.

Gary Conklin
06-10-2009, 10:23 PM
http://www.hiltonhandcraft.com/Articles/Sawbuck.asp

tom martin
06-10-2009, 11:16 PM
I like the idea of a lever Gary. I also like the stability of the four legged buck like Jeff's. I would like to combine the two ideas into one saw buck by extending and hinging the top board to get the necessary leverage to lift the log onto the buck.
I also like Jim's buck, but the bloodwood would cost me more than my Stihl!:D Thanks for the ideas!

Jarrod McGehee
06-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Hey Tom the one that you first posted is what I made and I just added a little more weight to it with a 6x8 across the bottom of it and a few more 2x4s to keep it really sturdy. it only took a couple hours to make. it does the job.

Ron Crosby
06-11-2009, 4:26 AM
I was bouncing around the web this morning and found these plans from John Lannom on a pretty sturdy chainsaw saw horse. Looks like it would be very easy to build and a lot safer than propping logs on the ground to cut blanks!
Anyone have any other ideas??
http://www.ovwg.org/New-OVWG-Site/Techniques/Saw%20horse.pdf

I saw these plans too, while bouncing around. On that Canadian Woodworking message board. One of their members made one, turned out pretty nice. You can see it here:
http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?t=27232

curtis rosche
06-11-2009, 9:58 AM
is it possible to have not nice bloodwood that is that thick? trade you saw horses

Rick Prosser
06-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Those look great for getting the log bucked, and split for bowls, but I still need something that will hold a half round bowl blank log to trim the edges (my wimpy band saw won't handle much more than pen blanks). I use the chain saw to trim the log into a more round shape to start turning, but it is tough to keep the log from rolling or sliding away from the saw. Trying to figure some easy, quick clamping method...

Ralph Lindberg
06-11-2009, 10:22 AM
This is the type of saw buck I use here in the jungle. You can make them anywhere and you dont need nails. This one is made of bloodwood that was not real nice.

Jim only you would make a saw buck out of bloodwood:D

Richard Madison
06-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Hey Rick, Just need a flat table and one honking big C clamp. I used to use the tractor front loader bucket to clamp half logs to a stand to chainsaw the corners off. Saw one or two corners, raise bucket, rotate blank, clamp and saw another corner. Used to get a little smokey in the barn though, with tractor and chainsaw both running (cough, cough).