PDA

View Full Version : Best cornor joint for toy box

Philip Johnson
06-10-2009, 8:40 AM
I am planning to build a toy box for the grand son. It will be rail and stile with raised panel construction and cherry for the wood. I am torn on the best way to join the corners. I want to stay away from mitered corners, I could use a dado joint or dado joint and leave a small lip on it. I also thought dovetails or a box joint would look good, but I would have to buy a good dovetail jig and practice some dovetails, which would give me an excuse to buy a new tool. Any other thoughts or ideas

thanks
Phil

Cary Falk
06-10-2009, 8:45 AM
Here is what I did.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0111.jpg

I wouldn't want to stop you from getting a new tool though.:D

Chip Lindley
06-10-2009, 8:56 AM
But, since it is of wood, and frame/panel construction, I would love to try one of those 45deg. locking miter bits. Those take some trial and error to get perfect mating joints, but look great, and have good corner strength.

Otherwise, look at a rabbet joint on the frame corners, to inset the ends 1/4 to 3/8". Glue & screw and fill the holes with wood plugs, OR add corner trim to cover the joint.

I need to make a toybox for my 3-year-old grandson also! I have saved our old front door (6-panel Fir) with aspirations of resawing the 1-3/4" stock in half, and reusing the panels *as-is* (painted a teal-green by my daughter/grandson's mom, yearzzz ago! A bit of family nostalga, and *keeping it Green* in Two ways!

John Keeton
06-10-2009, 8:57 AM
You need a new tool:D - but the one you NEED is a Domino;)

The difference between a need and a want is nothing more than vowels and consonants.

Philip Johnson
06-10-2009, 8:57 AM
Cary...that is a nice clean joint I do like it.

Julian Nicks
06-10-2009, 9:17 AM
One way would be to add 1 1/2" square legs to the corners and just rabbet the stiles into it. Lock miters are another solution, as well as loose mortise and tennons.

You could even just screw them together and plug the holes with a contrasting wood. Square plugs with a pyramid shape ala arts and crafts style would look great.

Jamie Buxton
06-10-2009, 9:24 AM
If the faces are frame and panel, the grain direction at the corners will be up-down. You shouldn't dovetail (or finger joint) that direction. Dovetails would want the grain direction running horizontal.

Philip Johnson
06-10-2009, 9:34 AM
John I did buy the domino and have been using it with great results along with the 150/3 sander and vac. I have kind of been on a tool buying spree the last month to set up my shop. Got a new shopfox 12 inch jointer, 20 inch planer, dust collector, powermatic shaper and power feed, a couple festools, domino and 150/3 sander...great tools, a new forrest dado blade and saw blades, kreg jig, clamps, a few squares and calipers, so I don't really need to be buying too many more tools right now.

Chip that locking miter joint could be interesting too...give me a chance to use the new shaper.

Cary did you cut that dado joint with a blade or router or shaper cutter

Julian the pyamid screw hole covers is another good idea.

All good ideas gives me something to think about when I sleep

Philip Johnson
06-10-2009, 9:36 AM
Thanks for that tip on dovetails Jamie...I will rule them out for now. I do need to learn a bit about dovetails someday but have enough to keep me busy for now.

Cary Falk
06-10-2009, 9:50 AM
Cary did you cut that dado joint with a blade or router or shaper cutter

I thought it was on the table saw but it could have as easily been with a router. The front and back panels are are about 18" x 4', so maybe I did it with a router.

Rod Sheridan
06-10-2009, 10:06 AM
A rebate and groove as Gary illustrated would be a good choice, as would simply clamping and glueing the two stiles together.

Rail and Stile construction doesn't preclude mortise and tenon construction, with a square corner post either, which is easy to make and very strong as well.

Regards, Rod.

John Keeton
06-10-2009, 7:11 PM
Got a new shopfox 12 inch jointer, 20 inch planer, dust collector, powermatic shaper and power feed, a couple festools, domino and 150/3 sander...great tools, a new forrest dado blade and saw blades, kreg jig, clamps, a few squares and calipers, so I don't really need to be buying too many more tools right now.Now that was a stealth gloat, for sure! Congratulations on the great tool buys - I now have jointer and planer envy:(

Greg Hines, MD
06-10-2009, 10:02 PM
You might want to consider a sliding dovetail joint. Very strong, and easy to make with a router table.

Doc

Wes Grass
06-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Any reason not to just make the corner one piece?

Darin German
06-10-2009, 10:20 PM
I'm in the process of making a window bench that our dogs will use for keeping an eye on the neighbors for us. It is frame and raised panel. I used a rabbet joint in the end after much mulling like you Philip. I found that with the box construction I was using it was just going to make it the easiest at time of glue up. I just used a stacked dado ($99 Freud) and am very pleased with the result.

Ron Bontz
06-10-2009, 10:32 PM
It really depends on the look you are going for IMHO. I prefer to use lock miters most of the time but I also like to use screws and face grain flush plugs. If it is a two tone then different wood for the plugs. I stay away from rabbit joints unless I am over lapping the corner with some type of trim or leg piece. Have fun.:)