PDA

View Full Version : what lift for a PC 890

dan sherman
06-10-2009, 3:48 AM
Ok all,

I'm going to be making a NYW router station soon, and I want to purchase a lift for it (currently I just have a plate). It's mind boggling how many different lifts are on the market now, thus what lift would you recommend for a PC 890 series router, & why?

My father has one of the original woodpecker quick lifts for his PC 7518, which I have used a few times and like. However I don't like the fact that it relies on gravity instead of screws to hold it down/in-place.

Curt Harms
06-10-2009, 11:38 AM
height adjusting mechanism, right? How well it works is another question. I have an 890 fixed base with grip vac which has 2 3/16" (I think) hex shafts. One unlocks the over-center base lock, the other turns the height adjustment knob mechanism. Like I said I don't know how well they work. I've never used mine in a table but its there and the price is right. You can get a tool from P-C but a 1/4" drive socket works too. I doubt it's as smooth and accurate as a precision router lift but it also doesn't add $200+ to the cost of the table. Is it good enough for your purposes? Good luck with whatever you decide.

Curt

Brian Kent
06-10-2009, 1:28 PM
I use the built-in adjustment with the 890 mounted in a router table. The only weakness I found is that when you release the lock, the router has a very slight downward shift. I actually do not know if it returns to an identical position when you unlock and re-lock. The height adjustment itself seems to work smoothly and accurately.

David Christopher
06-10-2009, 1:39 PM
Dan, I have the Jessum lift for my 890....it is heavy duty and works very smooth..if I was going to get another it would be the jessum

Alfred Hoffmann
06-11-2009, 8:37 AM
Dan, I have the 890 and used the build-in height adjustment feature for a while until it broke. It's not well engineered for extended use. The hex head just just wears down after a while. I bought the Rockler Aluminum Router Lift FX and up til now are very happy with it. I believe Rockler still offers free shipment until Father's Day.

Curt Harms
06-11-2009, 8:51 AM
Dan, I have the 890 and used the build-in height adjustment feature for a while until it broke. It's not well engineered for extended use. The hex head just just wears down after a while. I bought the Rockler Aluminum Router Lift FX and up til now are very happy with it. I believe Rockler still offers free shipment until Father's Day.

I'm skeptical about the spiral "gear" that engages the rack as well. A possible fix for the shaft wearing off, however....epoxy a 3/16" 1/4" drive socket to it and use a piece of 1/4" square bar stock as a wrench.;). Hardly the "bulletproof" stuff Porter Cable made its reputation with though, is it?

brian watson
06-11-2009, 9:41 AM
I've got an 890 fixed base in a kreg portable router table -- works ok with the standard adjustment spring set up and handle. I have the same downward shift mentioned by others but I've had no durability problems. Probably don't use it enough.

Its been a great router/router table combination for a hobbyist like me.

Tom Esh
06-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I use the 890's built-in above-table features. Only issue I've had in 3 yrs is a retaining ring wore out on the motor clamp mechanism. Took only seconds to fix, but I'd recommend occassionally lubing the pivot points with some dry lube to prevent wear (also makes it work so much nicer).