PDA

View Full Version : Rotary

Paul Franklin
06-10-2009, 2:04 AM
Is there an after market rotary attachment for any of the 3 main machines?

Thanks

Paul

Gary Hair
06-10-2009, 8:26 PM
I didn't know there were only "three main machines"...

Michael Simpson Virgina
06-10-2009, 9:05 PM
Its obvious. ULS (Universal), Epilog and Trotec. They are the top three in the selling in the US and when I did my research the only ones I considered. They were the only ones I could get any information on.

Dan Hintz
06-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Its obvious.
Not quite... Xenetech is another biggie, and there are several others. I would consider Epilog and ULS to be the most well-known brands, but certainly not the only ones.

Dave Garcia
06-10-2009, 11:56 PM
Its obvious. ULS (Universal), Epilog and Trotec. They are the top three in the selling in the US and when I did my research the only ones I considered. They were the only ones I could get any information on.

Michael and Paul,

First off there ARE other lasers out there on the market besides the ULS, Epilog and Trotec. You can go all the way from the bottom which is most of the lasers produced in China and sold on the internet etc, all the way to the high end industrial machines. ULS, Epilog and Trotec are what I would consider to be middle of the road machines. Just my opinion of course. Depending on what you are going to use the machine for, for example, if it's your "starter" laser, you might want to look at the LaserPro C180 for a "desk top" unit all the way up to a big industrial model. These are made in Taiwan with American parts, specifically the laser tube.

The other thing is the computer interface. If you are a Mac user, the LaserPro is the only company that provides a Mac driver and interface that I've found during my two years of research that works with a Mac.

As for the rotary unit, most of the comments I've "heard" during my two years of research has indicated that buying a rotary unit is not worth the cost unless you have a contract to do a LOT of large rotary type work, such as glasses, baseball bats etc, and especially if you're just starting out. But all of the above named manufacturers do sell a rotary unit to go with their machines.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd
-----------------------
Hawaiian rule: To be rich, make more or desire less.

Joe Motley
06-11-2009, 9:30 AM
Paul,
Check with Bill Neal at justlasers.com. I bought a rotary attachment for an Epilog mini from him. Good price, like new, he seems to be a really good guy.

Peck Sidara
06-11-2009, 10:12 AM
"The other thing is the computer interface. If you are a Mac user, the LaserPro is the only company that provides a Mac driver and interface that I've found during my two years of research that works with a Mac."

Dave,

Is GCC's driver a true Mac driver or a windows based driver running from either bootcamp or parallels within a Mac?

Michael Simpson Virgina
06-11-2009, 10:19 AM
My point was that those three are the most popular. Do searches on the web and Epilog and ULS are the most popular with Trotec showing up quite a bit. When I did my research I found several others including Xenetech. But when some one says the top three I think of Epilog, ULS and Trotec. If you do a search on this forum, when three lasers are mentioned those are the ones that individuals consider first.

Also (on this forum) If someone has problems with a Epilog they start talking about purchasing a ULS or trotec. And if they are not happy with a ULS they talk about the Epilog or Trotec. I did not see any posts of any one not happy with a Trotec. Could be cause they are real good or not as popular as the other two.

In any case I recently finished reading all the posts in this forum. (Was a lot). And by far its Epilog and ULS with Trotec and laserpro in there as well.

Dan Hintz
06-11-2009, 12:21 PM
My (albeit very informal) poll says less than 10% of users here own a Trotec (probably closer to 5%), maybe 10-15% own an Asian machine of one type or another (usually the larger bed machines, not desktops), 10% or so own lasers not listed above and not ULS/Epilog (such as Xenetech), with the remainder being a ULS or Epilog.

nancy barry
06-11-2009, 4:07 PM
I used to own an Epilog. I now own a Xenetech. The rotary(cylindrical) attachment for each is quite different in the way the glassware is held in place and in how it connects to the laser. I think it would best to purchase the attachment made specifically for the machine. I did several thousand wine glasses and 16 oz spots mugs to pay for the first rotary.: weddings, birthdays, retirements, graduations from academy..

hth,
nancy B

Dave Johnson29
06-11-2009, 6:45 PM

Hi Paul,

I am working on the 4th prototype for a quite different type of rotary. I am attempting to overcome all of the short comings of the current range of options from the various manufacturers.

Still a few weeks to maybe a couple of months away but progress is strong. Providing th manufacturer has software drivers for a rotary this should work with most bands and models.

Mike Null
06-11-2009, 9:33 PM
Dan

My experience would indicate that this forum is not representative of the laser sales in the US market. Most of the people on this forum are hobbyists and there are a very large number of laser owners who do not participate here.

We rarely have anybody from a manufacturing concern who uses a laser for production purposes yet there are hundreds, maybe more out there. There are many lasers at government facilities; many at schools and universities; many at various engraving facilities who do not participate here. (just as an example, Missouri Botanical Garden has one---I had, with a rare cold call, secured their rather large sign business conditioned on whether their board of directors approved the funds for their laser)

As for a guess, mine would probably not be more accurate than yours but it would include a lot more brands and my choice for highest market share would be Universal. But I'm not betting any money on it.

Larry Bratton
06-12-2009, 8:56 AM
I used to own an Epilog. I now own a Xenetech. The rotary(cylindrical) attachment for each is quite different in the way the glassware is held in place and in how it connects to the laser. I think it would best to purchase the attachment made specifically for the machine. I did several thousand wine glasses and 16 oz spots mugs to pay for the first rotary.: weddings, birthdays, retirements, graduations from academy..

hth,
nancy B
Nancy:
Yikes..SEVERAL THOUSAND! You must be working pretty cheap. I don't think I paid but a $1000 for the rotary I have with my Epilog. As a matter of fact, they actually had a show special at the time and offered either the rotary or a $1000 off the machine. (Several times I have wished I had taken the grand, but have started using it some of late looking for different markets for product)

nancy barry
06-12-2009, 9:42 AM
10+ years ago I did work for a lot less than I do now. My rotary was ~ 2 K ! I charged what the market would bear , I gained experience that has helped a lot over the years and I paid off my machine. :)

nancyB

Richard Rumancik
06-12-2009, 10:21 AM

Apart from Dave, I don't think anybody actually addressed the question yet.

The answer, I am pretty sure, is "no". The reasons there are no aftermarket rotary fixtures are probably:

1) maybe 10% of the laser users are interested in having a rotary
2) of these 10%, maybe half would rather buy the rotary from the manufacturer
3) the other half might buy one if it was inexpensive (say half-price of OEM)

So the challenge for an aftermarket manufacturer is to make a device that is 100% compatable with all the laser systems and firmware etc, and sell it for half the price of the OEMs. And sell it to a very limited market.

Dave's approach is to build one. The point of building one (I think) is to make something better than what exists from the OEM. It will probably not save any money (unless you discount the time spent and get your parts surplus.) If you want a precision chuck, or need to hold something unusual, it may be a reason to build one.

I believe one member documented his efforts to build one and found it was not a simple task. Dave can make his own parts - if you don't have a machine shop it will be expensive.

If you just need a regular OEM rotary and nothing special, I think the best thing would be to just look for a used one. Check with the reps, used laser dealers, OEMs, and let people know you are looking for a used one. Inevitably someone bought a rotary with their system and decided they don't need it.

Jim Unsworth
11-13-2009, 12:32 PM

Thanks

Paul

Hello Paul,
I am a former distributor for Trotec Canada - (7 years) and know a gentleman who would sell his rotary for your model for around $700.
Let me know if you are interested. It was 'never' used but personally I find there is a lot of demand for gift glassware at wedding, special occasions, bars and restaurants. You can normally get 2.85 - 3.50 per glass when engraved depending on volume. The Trotec rotary works very well once you get the hang of it. Then it is ching, ching, ching. Let me know if you are interested or have any other questions concerning Trotec lasers

Dan Hintz
11-13-2009, 1:07 PM
Well,

It only took 5 months to get a useful bit of info, but there ya go... :D

Peter Meacham
11-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Jim

I have sent a PM regarding the Trotec Rotary.

Pete