PDA

View Full Version : got my Don Pencil PL wheel and compound

sascha gast
06-10-2009, 1:50 AM
I received my shipment today, I bought a few PL compounds and Wheel for lacquer/plastic and all I can say is WOW..........let me repeat this.....WOW. I buffed the pieces I posted a while ago and I can't believe how easy it was to get to a perfect finish. I am blown away and in awe of the finish it leaves behind. I have never really buffed out pieces by hand, well once I did and ended up with a satin finish. this PL compound is just leaving it like glass and removes all the little blemishes and spots no matter how good my finish was, it's just simply better now.

so if you ever wonder how you can get a perfect rubbed out lacquer finish, look no further.

unbelievable

David Walser
06-10-2009, 2:16 AM
Sasha,

I'm glad you like your new toy, err, tool. If you can, post some before and after pictures.

sascha gast
06-10-2009, 2:34 AM
I don't think it would shop up different, but it's just smoother to the touch, or silkier i guess, but taking pics of a shiny object is not gonna get any better:D

Steve Schlumpf
06-10-2009, 8:06 AM
Sasha - thanks for the heads up! Been thinking about getting the same PL supplies - figure they may work better on Wipe-On Poly which can be a bear to finish at times!

sascha gast
06-10-2009, 4:36 PM
I also buffed a piece I lacquered 3 years ago and never rubbed out and it got improved so much, I can't even believe it, but most of all, you really can't overload the wheel, that alone makes me happy

Brian McInturff
06-10-2009, 6:43 PM
I've heard really good reviews about it.Might have to try it out soon. Although Sascha, I'm not sure how much better your finish could get:D

sascha gast
06-10-2009, 7:10 PM
well, picture all the tiny imperfections gone.........just gone

Bob Hallowell
06-10-2009, 9:31 PM
I like mine also, I rebuffed some lacquer peices, plus I chucked it my drill and used it to buff out a hall table to an amazing finish.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2009, 10:50 PM
well, picture all the tiny imperfections gone.........just gone

Sascha would think the wax wheel on the beall work with the PL compound? I believe it is the softest wheel. I really don't use the wax wheel because I just haven't had good luck using waxes.

sascha gast
06-11-2009, 3:18 AM
I actually don't know but I guess it should be fine, just drop Don an email, but I actually ordered 5 PL compounds, hehe, simply cause I didn't know if it was a bar or a paste and the price is great.
i am still amazed, even buffed some NIP pieces I did a long time ago, just awesome

Steve Harder
06-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Is the PL compound a solid stick or a liquid?

sascha gast
06-11-2009, 12:27 PM
a stick, little softer than the others, but also a bar-like thingy

Ryan Baker
06-11-2009, 8:22 PM
Do Don's PL wheels come with the 3/8-16 threaded adapter, or do you have to get that seperately? I can't tell from his site. I'm guessing it is included. Same question for the individual PL bowl buffs -- do they come with the mounting adapter?

David Walser
06-11-2009, 9:35 PM
Do Don's PL wheels come with the 3/8-16 threaded adapter, or do you have to get that seperately? I can't tell from his site. I'm guessing it is included. Same question for the individual PL bowl buffs -- do they come with the mounting adapter?

Mine came with the threaded adapter already attached to the wheel and to the bowl buffs.

Ryan Baker
06-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Mine came with the threaded adapter already attached to the wheel and to the bowl buffs.

Thanks for the info! That's what I expected, but I wanted to make sure.

Don Eddard
06-12-2009, 1:59 AM
Sascha, are you using the PL compound in addition to the tripoli and white diamond, or instead of it? I ordered a new wheel and a stick of the compound to try for myself, but I'm interested in your observations.

sascha gast
06-12-2009, 5:38 AM
Sascha, are you using the PL compound in addition to the tripoli and white diamond, or instead of it? I ordered a new wheel and a stick of the compound to try for myself, but I'm interested in your observations.

the PL is the only one I use. I have never really been a big fan of wheel buffing, usually I rub pieces out by hand, the white diamond is not my favorite, wax is fin, I usually use tripoli and wax, but now it'll be PL for a while until I see it's limitations, been using it on poly finishes and it's fantastic

you really can't overload the wheel. I actually bought 5 bars so I'll be good for a while