PDA

View Full Version : Flicker Free

Byron Trantham
08-20-2004, 4:37 PM
I have been asked to install a "flicker free" fluorescent light in a project I am starting. What the heck is that? Is it, by any chance, one with an electronic ballast? Help! :eek:

Carole Valentine
08-20-2004, 5:09 PM
They may be talking about the high-output flourescents. I just had them put in my shop. They come on instantly in cold weather and as far as I know, they don't flicker.

Larry Browning
08-20-2004, 6:46 PM
I think they are talking about electronic ballast fixtures. You should look at the T8 rather than T12. The T8 bulb is a smaller diameter and is more energy efficient. I have them in my shop and they are GREAT!
Larry

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-20-2004, 7:55 PM
Larry has a good point on the T8 Lamps. In recent discussions with a Lighting Supplier at work, the T12 lamps will be phased out sometime in the near future. Sure, you will probably still be able to get them, but they will come at a premium price. We recently installed some Lithonia fixtures that utilize the new T5 HO lamps. Althought the lamps are 48" and skinny little things, they put out light like you wouldn't believe. The technology is getting so good at eliminating Mercury in Fluorescent Lamps, the lamps are getting smaller and brighter..................which is a good thing. :)