PDA

View Full Version : Blade sharpener

Marty Phee
03-20-2003, 6:23 PM
Does anyone own the Grizzly G2790. I'm looking for a knife sharpener for my jointer and planer knives. I have a 16" jointer and an 18" planer. I'm looking at the Makita 9820, tormek and the grizzly. The grizzly is of course the cheapest, but I'm worried that it doesn't have water cooling. Other than the Tormek it's the only one that can handle 18" knives.

I have two sets of 18" baldes to sharpen and right there is $20.

Dennis Peacock
03-20-2003, 7:30 PM
If you want to come and get it....you can <b>have</b> it for FREE!!!! It is about the most useless piece of ....... well you get the picture. You put water on this baby and you will be in for a shocking surprise.....the adjustment won't hold true and to sharpend anything over about 8" is a <b>real bear</b>.

Freehand on a standard bench grinder would work much better.

BUT....like I said.....if you came to pick it up....you could have it.

Marty Phee
03-20-2003, 7:41 PM
Thanks for the offer and thanks for the review. I was worried about the grizzly.

Anyone have experiance with the tormek with long knives?

Dennis Peacock
03-20-2003, 7:44 PM
If you buy the jig for the Tormek.....works very well.

Marty Phee
03-20-2003, 7:51 PM
What about on long 16" or 18" blades? I could use the tormek with all of my plans and chisels also, but the planer/jointer knives are my concern.

Looking at the jig for the tormek it looks like you would have to reposition the blade in the holder. How accurately could you do that? Anyone try?

Bill Sams
03-20-2003, 8:31 PM
Marty, I don't remember the model #, but I have the 24" wet/dry grizzly grinder on the stand. I use it to sharpen my 20" planer blades and 8" jointer knives. The knive holder holds them straight and true. Saves alot of down time sending the blades out. Just last week from start to finish, I sharpened and honed 3 20" knives and had them installed in 1 1/2 hrs, better than a week out. The grinder is a little costly and it runs at too high of rpm, but it works after you get the hang of it. Takes a little getting used to
Have no experience with the tormak. Let me know if you want more info.

ray clargo
03-21-2003, 9:04 AM
hi marty, i have the makita 9820 and sharpen 16" planer blades with no problem. its a good sharper in my opinion. ray