PDA

View Full Version : Incra question (hopefully my last!)

Chris Harry
06-09-2009, 8:02 PM
I currently have an Incra 17" LS Super System. Ive found what seems to be a decent deal on the table saw setup (32" range, 72" rails) but its the older sawtooth version, not the leadscrew.

I wanted to mount the Super System to my table saw router extension, and to do this it would be installed and removed when I need to use it (otherwise its in the way of the saw blade).

Obviously the ts setup does not need removal and reinstallation.

Is it worth losing the leadscrew to gain the full table saw setup? I would carry the WonderFence over to the TS version, so thats a wash.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Chris Rosenberger
06-09-2009, 10:34 PM
I had an Incra Ultra version for several years on my router table. I replaced it with the LS model when it came out. I liked it so well, I later put an LS table saw fence system on my table saw. I would never go back to the older saw tooth versions. The biggest problem with the Ultra table saw fence is where the micro adjust knob is in relation to fence. On the LS model, the micro adjust knob is right behind the fence. On the Ultra model, the micro adjust knob is behind the mounting base. That can at times be over 36" from the fence. That can make it hard to dial in a measurement.

Eric Gustafson
06-10-2009, 3:20 PM
On the other hand...

The original is more stable. I have the LS and my BIL has the original. We use both on our table saws. The LS requires a second locking point to hold the fence square to the table and they use extruded rails to provide that lock on the rail closest to the operator. The original seems to lock solid without the need for an addtional locking point. I have a plan to hook the INCRA LS to a Bessmyer fence which should give me the best of both worlds.

Chris Harry
06-10-2009, 3:31 PM
On the other hand...

The original is more stable. I have the LS and my BIL has the original. We use both on our table saws. The LS requires a second locking point to hold the fence square to the table and they use extruded rails to provide that lock on the rail closest to the operator. The original seems to lock solid without the need for an addtional locking point. I have a plan to hook the INCRA LS to a Bessmyer fence which should give me the best of both worlds.

I thought of hooking the LS onto my stock fence but I wasnt sure if it would defeat the purpose of the Incra (repeatability, precision,etc). I guess you can always hook it in, move the stock fence then zero the LS to the blade each time, but then you are limited in rip size to the size of your LS (mine is 17"). The TS setup is nice because its 32" and can be extended if you move the rails right (dont need too much rip to the left of the blade)