PDA

View Full Version : Computer Monitor Question

Scott Shepherd
06-09-2009, 7:39 PM
Bought a new monitor (cheap) for a computer today that's not my main computer. Acer widescreen. Plug it in, no drivers came with it, plug and play didn't see anything different, and the maximum resolution on the slider in the display properties doesn't have any widescreen configurations.

Went to Acer's site, and they have no XP drivers at all for that monitor.

It's an integrated video card, Intel based. Updated that, nothing changed.

I went to the store and after over 1 hour of talking to everyone that would listen, finally found someone that agreed with me that a video card might solve the problem.

So I have a Radeon 9250, 256MB, PCI card that's brand new. If I install that, should it resolve my problem of not having a widescreen format option in the settings for the monitor?

It's a Dell P4, 3GB of RAM, 3 open PCI slots and 1 open AGP slot.

Will it resolve the issue?

Don Abele
06-09-2009, 8:13 PM
...If I install that, should it resolve my problem of not having a widescreen format option in the settings for the monitor?...Will it resolve the issue?

Short answer - Absolutely.

The ability to display different resolutions (and formats) is dependant on the video card, not the monitor. You can force your monitor to display a format not native to it (like widescreen on a standard monitor). However, you can not do the opposite - force your video card to display a format which is not native to it. Every new video card I have used has widescreen formats now.

Prior to installing it, I highly recommend you download the latest drivers from their website vice using the install disc. This will ensure the most up-to-date and compatible drivers.

Be well,

Doc

Burt Alcantara
06-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Drivers. I believe your card is made by ATI. They can have issues with drivers. Keep searching the net. You'll find it.

Scott Shepherd
06-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks Don, it all worked!

Burt, I didn't have the ATI card installed. I was asking if installing it would resolve the issue, and it did, so we're all good.

Thanks!

Don Abele
06-10-2009, 6:56 PM
Your welcome Scott. Glad I could be of assistance and it worked out.

Be well,

Doc

Steve Clardy
06-11-2009, 5:39 PM
Acer AL1716?

I got a new computer, stayed with this monitor.
The video card in the machine was for Vista.
I had a terrible time finding a video driver for XP but finally found one on Cnet Downloads.