PDA

View Full Version : Shaper Advice

Bill Borchardt
06-09-2009, 7:32 PM
Thinking about getting a shaper and only have 15 amp service on my 240 volt circuits in my shop. Rewiring the shop with heavier gauge wire is not an easy option.

I'm looking at all options 1.5 hp (Grizzly & Jet), 2 hp (Shop Fox & Jet 34-L), 2.5 hp (Shop Fox) and 3 hp Steel City and Jet 35X3. I have been told that 1.5 hp is on the light side for a shaper and 3 hp is the standard for a shop shaper. A good fence/guard is a plus for me. I've used a router table to date and it's a slow go to make raised panels, etc. so I'm thinking about "stepping up" to a shaper.

Ideally I would like to buy used, but will buy new if/when I find a deal.

Any feedback/experience/advice from folks with shapers would be appreciated.

Billbo
Smyrna, GA

Rod Sheridan
06-09-2009, 8:01 PM
Buy the 3 HP shaper and run it on the 15 ampere circuit.

My 3 HP shaper is 12.8 amperes, runs fine on a 15 ampere circuit.

Less than 3 HP and you won't begin to realize the capability that a shaper brings to your shop.

Regards, Rod.

Philip Johnson
06-09-2009, 8:38 PM
I had an old Chinese import shaper I believe it was sunhill but the fence always gave me problems. This time I bought the Powermatic PM 2700, just got it a few days ago and don't have a lot of use on it. I am really impressed with the fit and finish and the quality of it. Its almost too nice to touch and get dirty and its soo smooth and quiet. It really is a few steps up from the grizzlies and shopfox, I do have several shopfox tools and am happy with them but this is in another league. The fence is very nice and has micro ajustments and very smooth, the dust collection has two ports and gets about 99 percent of the dust. All in all I am very happy with it, I hated to spend that much but the wife talked me into it. The jet 35x3 appears from the pictures that it has a similar or the same fence and many of the same features. The problem I had was buying sight unseen as no one stocked them around me. If I could have seen them side by side and compared the jet may be just as good. The powermatic does have built in wheels that make it easy to move around, a bigger table and a digital hight read out over the jet. But if they both have the same fence that would be a big plus over the shopfox in my opinion.

Travis Porter
06-09-2009, 8:45 PM
I agree with the recommendation on buying a 3 HP. Plan on getting a Power feeder as well.

Peter Quinn
06-09-2009, 9:07 PM
The jet 35x3 appears from the pictures that it has a similar or the same fence and many of the same features.

Just for the record the Jet has a much simpler fence that adjust only from the out feed side like the old Delta fences, which is VERY ANNOYING in use. I'm saving for a PM2700 and have looked closely at a few, none in that price range seem to match the 2700. I would not consider any shaper personally with a fence that doesn't adjust from both sides.

As far as shapers generally? I'd do what it takes to get the 3HP machine in your shop if you want to raise panels and want to experience the true capability of a shaper. My 3HP Delta calls for a 20A circuit, will probably run on 15A in a pinch if I don't load it to the maximum. A power feeder is highly suggested too.

Philip Johnson
06-09-2009, 9:36 PM
Yes I see that now on the jet the infeed fence has no micro adjust, I must say that micro adjust is slick, the whole fence is very nice. Add in the fence, the extra dust port, the digital read out, the retractable wheels which work really well, the larger table and it may be worth the extra 6 or 7 hundred over the jet, at least ya get something for it other then the gold paint

I am running a 5 hp table saw or a 5 hp shaper and a 3 hp dust collector on a 20 amp circuit and no probems

Chip Lindley
06-09-2009, 10:41 PM
3 H.P. will work Fine on a 15A/230V circuit. My '90s Woodtek 3hp is only 10.2 FLA. Honestly, I would calculate that nearer to 2hp. It has power for any cutter you can mount on a 3/4" spindle! I have used the 1" spindle with bushings and a Freeborn 1-1/4" bore, 5-1/2" panel raiser! The Woodtek has sufficient power to swing these large bits. Go for 3H.P.!

Bill Borchardt
06-10-2009, 6:23 PM
Thanks for the inputs.

I'm convinced I can go 3 hp - now which one and how much to spend. :rolleyes:

Cheers . . . .

Working everyday to prepare for retirement!
Billbo
Smyrna, GA

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-10-2009, 7:44 PM
When you are stuck having to live with lower amp supply than you might like, you really need to be attentive to the Percentage rating on the motor in question.
Get a 60% or 80% motor. The manufacturer should be able to talk to you about their motor efficiencies. Hell, they should be able to send you a spec sheet or link you to a PDF online. If they can't, consider going elsewhere.

Bill Borchardt
06-11-2009, 5:56 PM
Cliff,

I never hear of motor efficiencies. I assume a higher % is better (and likely more expensive :eek:).

Kinda makes sense since I've seen 3 hp shapers at 14 amps and others 3 hp shapers at 18 amps.

Thanks for the tip.

Billbo
Smyrna, GA

Philip Johnson
06-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Ahh Bill bite the bullet and buy the powermatic get the matching power feed while your at it, it comes all drilled for it so just bolt it on.