PDA

View Full Version : Maine sawmills

Mike Hoyt
06-09-2009, 6:53 PM
Hey everybody, I apologize in advance for all you guys from away ;) that read this as it is mainly directed towards guys in Maine. I also understand that people are sometimes reluctant to give up there sources but I was wondering if there are any folks in southern maine that would be willing to do just that. I am just a hobbiest and I am trying to find a small mom and pop type source of local hardwoods, green or dry. I live in Gorham but would travel a reasonable distance. So any of you fellow Maniacs out there willing to share a little?

Thanks,
Mike

John Shuk
06-09-2009, 8:06 PM
Mike,
A quick search on Google maps pulled a few up. It seems I've seen one on Rt 1 just north of York a few times as well. Never stopped in though. We have a house in Pine Point but I've never seen a mill in my travels around there.

Greg Cuetara
06-09-2009, 8:50 PM
Mike,
I havn't found too many mills around this area but again I have not really looked too hard. I have found the best wood prices to be down at Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood, NH. My folks and friends live near by so when I am down there I try to stop by. Their website has prices for all of their wood and they have a good selection. They usually have some specials running which makes for a bargain. I pick up cherry there for $2.40 / bd.ft. much better than going to Atlantic in Portland and paying $8 / bd.ft. It would be nice if we could get together and get a shipment sent up this way to cut down on the cost or to get a shipment sent south.

Greg

Anthony Whitesell
06-10-2009, 10:15 AM
If you're making it to Highland Hardwoods, then check out Goosebay Lumber (they also have their prices listed on the web). Slightly further than Brentwood, but in a different direction. Highland's shorts prices are good, but for long lumber Goosebay's prices are better.

NICK BARBOZA
06-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Mike,
I always go to Premium Specialty Hardwoods in Rumford. Its out by Bethel and Sunday River right on RT 2. Totally worth the drive. ITs a nice trip that the fiance and I take every month or so.

they specialize in birdseye and curly maple but have quite a selection of other domestics and some exotics as well.

http://www.premiumspecialtyhardwoods.com/

give Dave a call. Tell him Nick from Bangor sent you there. He'll take good care of you.

Cheers!
Nick

Greg Cuetara
06-10-2009, 12:45 PM
give Dave a call. Tell him Nick from Bangor sent you there. He'll take good care of you.

rightttt...I am sure Dave will give him a 'Gooood' deal...lol

Just kidding. I will have to get up there sometime to check them out. Seems like they have some good prices.

Greg

Mike Hoyt
06-10-2009, 7:57 PM
Thanks guys for some other options, I will check them out. I find myself going to Maine Coast Lumber a bunch they are in Westbrook and York and have much better prices than Atlantic. I almost choked the first time I went there:eek:. For some reason I thought that I may find a little gold mine, HAHA. Thanks again guys for the tips and I will keep you posted if I find some myself.

Mike