PDA

View Full Version : Ole' Unisaw

Donnie Raines
08-20-2004, 1:33 PM
I dont know exactly what year it is...but I am confident that it is a 60"ish era. It has a 110 volt 1 HP Bullet motor and the tube rail fence(which appears to be garbage...). The saw it self runs like a dream and the fit and finish is sound. It has the 30 inch rails

What would something like this be worth?

James Carmichael
08-20-2004, 2:27 PM
Donnie,

You might try oldWWmachines.com for info on the saw.

Joe Scarfo
08-20-2004, 2:41 PM
Value is relative. Have you scanned Ebay for a similiar model?

The OWWM site mentioned above can provide the mfgr date. All you need is the serial number.

Is it complete? Ie, the dust door, motor cover, etc.

Does it have the orig Jetlock Fence or has it been upgraded?

If it has a current fence, it's complete, and it's clean. I would put it in the $800 range.

I have a '53 I've rebuilt w/ a Bies 42" fence and motor cover. I wouldn't let mine go for less than that. It's also been torn down and totally rebuilt. Motor too.

Then again, it's my opinion.

Are you considering selling?

Joe in Tampa

JayStPeter
08-20-2004, 3:29 PM
Buying or selling? IMO, it will sell for lots more on ebay than I'd pay for it. Probably $800 if it is reasonably decent looking and functionally complete.

If buying, I look at it this way, all your getting is the cabinet. You need to add fence ($2-300), extension table (nearly $100 just to make), etc. There's even a chance that you'll soon need to rewind the motor or replace the switch. Plus, mods for DC. I haven't seen it and your description isn't detailed enough to make a thorough assessment of how much work it'll require (ie. bearings, rust removal, covers, paint, etc). To me, it's all worth money and it becomes pretty easy to reach close to the $1300 cost of a brand spankin' new one.

I've been there with a 60s Rockwell jointer. I got it at what I thought was a good price, even for a 3ph. After replacing the motor ($24), switch ($40), (doh the shaft was different so I needed a pulley, doh can't find the right size pulley so I need both $30), and bearings ($75), I was in for nearly $300. It was still missing a handwheel (would've cost $60 from Delta) and had a twisted fence (fixed using UHMW ($15), drill, and shims). Hmmm, new ones cost how much?

So, depending on condition and parts needed I'd pay around $400-$600 for it, so that with a real fence it comes to around $800. If it's missing any significant parts, I might even go lower. It is surprising how much the parts for these old machines sell for. Unless you're a machinist and can make your own, investigate as thoroughly as possible before initial outlay. This all assuming you enjoy working on it and don't count your time as money.

Jay

Mike Wilkins
08-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Sounds like you may have the contractors saw version. Not sure how you
can place a value on an old machine, but it must run right and all adjustments
must work well if you plan to buy or sell.

I have a 1964 Rockwell/Delta Unisaw with the 1 1/2 HP 240 volt motor that
came with the original 30" tube rails. I paid $525 and got lucky: it was single
phase.

If the tables are flat, motor runs good, and you are considering buying, try
to bargain with the seller, and remind him that it is an old machine.

Check out the OWWM web site. Neat stuff. And check out the photos.

Tim Palmer
08-23-2004, 12:00 PM
My father and I bought a 1958 Unisaw from an auction for $230.00. Inside was coated with resin from particle board and top had a little rust from being outside at the auction location, but every thing else seems to be in great shape. have not tested motor yet. It also needs a new fence. My father is having a great time working on it, and I am really enjoying being his helper again. When I was doing research before going to bid on my fathers for him. I found that saws in decent shape went for around 300.00 to 500.00 depending on shape and what it needed. But saw in great shape went for a tad higher. We just got really lucking that no one else bidding new what the saw was. Hope I helped and good luck. The old unisaws are awesome.

Tim