PDA

View Full Version : Include phone number in print ad?

Mitchell Andrus
06-09-2009, 4:08 PM
I place 1/6 to 1/4 page ads in some of the home furnishings-oriented magazines. I target to a pretty narrow segment and get a reasonably high return on investment.

I've been asked why I don't include a phone number in the ads. I just include one of my URLs.

Given that my products are fairly complicated and cost $250.00 to $700.00 and that I don't have a print catalog, do you see any advantage to adding a phone number in the ads? Do you call before going to a website? Do you ever call when there's a website to go to?

phil harold
06-09-2009, 6:32 PM
if there is a website
i go there first
then I might call

Joe Pelonio
06-09-2009, 10:54 PM
As long as there's a phone number on the website, you should be fine. The ripoff scammer sites don't have phone numbers, so showing one lends you credibility. Putting the phone number in the ad will just get you a lot of telemarketers and looky-loo types.

Brian Brown
06-09-2009, 11:44 PM
I guess it depends on the age range of your target market. It seems counter productive to do anything that might exclude any potential customers. Many older customers still do not use the web much for shopping and buying. I don't mean to say that they don't use computers or the web, but many still prefer to shop with a more personal contact and feel. AForce of habit I guess. In my business, the phone number goes on everything. Yes, I get lookie loos, but some of those become customers. As for the telemarketers, I can hang up on them very fast, or if it is a slow day, I can have some real fun with them. The telemarketers will find you whether you print your phone number or not.

Alan Trout
06-10-2009, 12:34 AM
I agree with Brian. Except I am not of the older generation. I prefer to call someone and talk to them especially on a specialty product or item. I can feel out the vendor this way and see what I think of them. I think a phone number is a good idea. You will get some squirrels but I bet you can get more squirrels answering e-mails.

Good Luck

Alan

Bob Landel
06-10-2009, 2:10 AM
Of course include the phone number in an ad, and anything else you can to make it easier for a potential customer to get in touch with you.

THis is just basic business 101!

Tim Morton
06-10-2009, 5:59 AM
My number one pet peeve is when i have to work to shop...so add the phone number...how can it hurt?

Mitchell Andrus
06-10-2009, 7:59 AM
Yea, I know. I used to put out a print catalog - that's BU 101 too.

So.... what's the point in answering the phone and telling someone to go to the site to see a photo of a product? - or - to tell them I don't make dining room tables?

Honestly, I usually don't find any interest in an advertiser if they DON'T have a website. I can't remember that last time I called someone to ask if they offer something.

I get a call or 2 a month asking me if I have a showroom (usually at 1:00 on Sunday). No, I don't have one of those.

Mitchell Andrus
06-10-2009, 8:07 AM
Tim,

My ad usually shows a medicine cabinet, wall shelf, custom doorbell, etc. If you were to call me, what would you ask?

The times I answer the phone to handle an inquiry, I find that I need to direct the caller to one of my sites to 'see' the product.

Talking about furniture is like dancing about architecture. In 13 years I've yet to make a sale on the phone when the shopper wasn't also on my site or familiar with the product already.

Dave Lehnert
06-10-2009, 6:14 PM
If I run across a web site I am not familiar with, I will look for a phone number to see where they are located. On the web you can be buying from the guy next door or some 9 year old kid on an island I never heard of before.

Ed Hazel
06-10-2009, 9:57 PM
Why don't you test it and put phone number in one of your adds? You could even set up a special phone # for the add so you know if they are calling from the add or your site.
Personally I would most likely go to your site before I would call.

Paul Ryan
06-10-2009, 10:47 PM
This is one of those cases I would say you don't need that much exposure. What I mean is since you only make a few different pieces, you really need your potential customers to see you work before calling. I have worked jobs before when you have customers comming and phone calls at the same time. The phone calls are the worst because many times the are a complete was of time. In your case if you are on the phone for 15 miuntes explaining this is what I do, go to my web site to check it out. That is a long time away from what ever it was you are doing. I think as long as your web site is easy to get to and has the phone number easily accessible there than stick with that formate. If the phone number was hidden on the web site some place then I would do something about that. But if they can get your phone number while looking at your work that should be good. The extra phone calls for usless info will end up kicking your but.

Mitchell Andrus
06-11-2009, 9:00 AM
Why don't you test it and put phone number in one of your adds?

7-8 years ago I did. I got "Can you send me a catalog?" and "Can I come by the shop?".

I really got tired of saying no. And when directed to do so, they when to my site anyway.

Mitchell Andrus
06-11-2009, 9:04 AM
Last night, I did some research. I found that in the magazines I place my ads, 1/4 of the ads of my typical size (1/10 to 1/4 page) DON'T have phone numbers!!

I had not noticed until now. I thought I was creating a new trend...