PDA

View Full Version : Question to firearm experts

Alex Berkovsky
06-09-2009, 3:01 PM
My uncle wants to buy a rifle and a handgun for target shooting and has asked me to do some research. So I am here to ask you all to make some recommendations. I am not sure how much he is looking to spend so let's not concentrate on the price.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2009, 3:29 PM
Alex,

If I was your uncle, I'd choose a 22 caliber rifle and pistol.

The pistol I'd choose would be a 22 caliber revolver from one of the better maufacturers....Ruger, Smith&Wesson, Colt

The rifle....a single shot bolt action 22 caliber....could be clip fed...could be manual load .....

22 ammunition is cheap and would allow for target practice.

Revolvers are the safer than autoloaders in the hands of novices. Single shot bolt action rifles too for the same previous reason.

Jamie Delker
06-09-2009, 3:31 PM
My uncle wants to buy a rifle and a handgun for target shooting and has asked me to do some research. So I am here to ask you all to make some recommendations. I am not sure how much he is looking to spend so let's not concentrate on the price.

I'd start with a decent .22 rifle, something like a Ruger 10/22. They're relatively inexpensive, the ammo is still pretty cheap, and they're really fun to shoot. You can find accessories for them pretty easily too.

I'm not really up on the hunting style rifles much anymore, I'm more into military style rifles (SKS, AK, FAL), so I'm sure someone else can make a good suggestion in that category. :D

Ted Calver
06-09-2009, 3:38 PM
Ken gave you good advise, but where does your uncle plan to shoot? Does he live on Long Island too? Indoor or outdoor, on a range or in an old quarry on the family farm? There are all kinds of targets to shoot--from paper to metal sillouette at distances from a few yards out to a thousand. He could have fun in his back yard with an air soft pistol and rifle for starts.

Alex Berkovsky
06-09-2009, 3:54 PM
Alex,

If I was your uncle, I'd choose a 22 caliber rifle and pistol.

The pistol I'd choose would be a 22 caliber revolver from one of the better maufacturers....Ruger, Smith&Wesson, Colt

The rifle....a single shot bolt action 22 caliber....could be clip fed...could be manual load .....

22 ammunition is cheap and would allow for target practice.

Revolvers are the safer than autoloaders in the hands of novices. Single shot bolt action rifles too for the same previous reason.

Ken,
His friend has a 22 caliber clip-fed bolt action rifle which he used a few times. He felt that it was too "light" and wanted something with a bigger caliber. I wouldn't mind if he got an AR-15. :D

Ken gave you good advise, but where does your uncle plan to shoot? Does he live on Long Island too? He has a place in the Poconos and has an outdoor range near his house.

David Epperson
06-09-2009, 3:57 PM
Target shooting? Or plinking?
If just plinking at tin cans and general targets of opportunity with a 22 rimfire - the Ruger 10/22 is good starter autoloader, or a Marlin or Savage - CDNN has a fairly good deal on a Winchester right now for less than $200. Nice looking little bolt action.
If he's looking for a bit better accuracy, look at CZ and Anschutz both brands have some respectable accuracy even on the "low end" models.

As far as a "target shooting" handgun? Sorry that's more of a personal choice thing, but the Ruger MkII or MKIII are fairly accurate (or have been for me) they are fairly natural point and click and easy to become familiar with. Some ranges will still rent guns for a try out or "test drive" to help in making those choices.

But if he's looking to go centerfire...well the options just opened up a whole lot - for both pistol and long gun.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-09-2009, 4:27 PM
Handgun: Ruger Mark II (Mark III these days) Mine is Mark II)
They even make 'em in shiny.
http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=185#

The 22 caliber is the cheapest and most fun caliber going for plinking and target.

Sean Troy
06-09-2009, 4:34 PM
He could go 44 cal. (not magnum) for both rifle and hand gun. Doesn't have the kick of the mag, but still a decent punch if he's looking for a little fun.

Dennis Brooker
06-09-2009, 5:00 PM
All good suggestions on the .22 calibers - RITZ crackers make excellent and fun targets for plinking - You can also easily print out your own targets as well - If he's not real familiar with guns a revolver might be a little safer than a semi - automatic pistol - Just something to consider - DB

Mark Kosmowski
06-09-2009, 6:16 PM
I'd recommend 22 LR also, if only just for operational costs. Easier on the wallet to put a few hundred (or more) rounds of 22 LR downrange than a centerfire.

My first pistol was a Ruger mark III 22/45, which is very similarly shaped to a 1911 (Colt 45 ACP). I knew I was eventually going to get a 1911 which is why I started with the Ruger.

For a centerfire rifle, maybe something like 30-06 or 308 would do the trick.

Alternatively, get him a Thompson/Center Contender or Encore (or one of each) with a few different barrels. Being a break open single shot weapon, they will have more felt recoil than an equivalent autoloader.

Before buying him anything, take him shooting with some folks with a variety of weapons / calibers to see what he likes / what fits him.

Don't forget eye and ear protection - these are more important for shooting than for woodworking.

Best of luck with the choice!

Jim Kountz
06-09-2009, 6:23 PM
Tell him to take a look at a 17 HMR. Cool little rifles and very accurate. Thats what we use around here to spotlight with. Er............Ah..........Oops....... I mean control the deer population by permit only of course!!

Don Abele
06-09-2009, 6:49 PM
Alex, you really need to find out what he wants to do with it. For general plinking the .22 is the best - pick your make/model - they'll all work for plinking. The biggest reason for this is price. And not the guns themselves, but the ammo. For many reasons (and let's keep them out of this discussion so it doesn't get political) people are buying up a lot of guns and even more ammo. The price of ammo has nearly doubled in the last six months for all the popular calibers. The AR-15 is an awesome gun, but check out the price of .223 rounds - they are through the roof.

I shoot well over 1000 rounds a month in 9mm and 5.56 (.223) - I'm extremely thankful I don't pay for all those rounds. And let's not even start talking about the 7.62 and 50 cal rounds I fire off quarterly. We spend A LOT of money to maintain weapons proficiency for over 500 Sailors.

So before he truly chooses, be sure he can afford to buy the rounds (my last personal purchase of .45 ACP for my 1911 cost me over 50 cents a round).

Be well,

Doc

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2009, 7:53 PM
Alex,

I have hunted elk, deer, rabbit, squirrel, and was on a special security team in the Navy.

I have shot everything from 338-8MM Mag to 22. I own 2 custom built rifles of 338-06 and 280 Rem (7mm-06). I had to hand load for both of them when I had them built but may be able to buy ammo now.

Point...I shot pistol silhouette competition using a Ruger Mark II with a 6" bull barrel. The barrel is 1" in diameter. It did quite well on most day with no wind.

Rifles....there are those out there that have some heft to them.

Operational costs.....22 cal is the least expensive if you are buying ammo. I don't know what brick costs these days.

David Christopher
06-09-2009, 8:03 PM
Alex,

I have hunted elk, deer, rabbit, squirrel, and was on a special security team in the Navy.

I have shot everything from 338-8MM Mag to 22. I own 2 custom built rifles of 338-06 and 280 Rem (7mm-06). I had to hand load for both of them when I had them built but may be able to buy ammo now.

Point...I shot pistol silhouette competition using a Ruger Mark II with a 6" bull barrel. The barrel is 1" in diameter. It did quite well on most day with no wind.

Rifles....there are those out there that have some heft to them.

Operational costs.....22 cal is the least expensive if you are buying ammo. I don't know what brick costs these days.
Ken, I thought you shot multimeters

Paul Ryan
06-09-2009, 8:30 PM
Due to the cost of the ammunition explosion in the past 2 years. I would reccomend a .22LR as well. A runger 10/22 is old reliable a great .22 and lot of fun assories for it. For having fun shooting and plinking under 100 yds a .22 is great and ammo is still pretty cheap. A 500 round brick runs about $15 bucks around here. 3 years ago you could buy it for $4.99. If you want something with more umph, I would go to any .223 rifle. AR's are fun but a good one is expensive and get really expensive because it is real easy to blow through a 30 round clip in a couple of seconds. A 30 round clip would run about $20 in cheap ammo today. He could have lots of fun with a savage rifle in a .223. It wouldn't cost a ton will have excellent accuracy and is good out to 300 yds if you learn how to shoot it. .223 can be shot a lot farther than that in the right hands. You can buy a savage rifle and scope package in .223 for under $500. They arn't the prettiest rifles but they shoot great and are cheap. .223 ammo is still about the cheapest there is even though it is outragous compared to what it was 2 years ago. If you want a better looking rifle go to a remmington 700, they are really nice but will run a couple hundred more for just the rifle.

As far as a pistol I would go to a ruger Mark II or III. The III is the current model. They are alot of fun to shoot are really reliable and accurate. The ammo will not break you as stated earlier. They look a lot like a old german Luger.

Alex Berkovsky
06-09-2009, 8:36 PM
Folks,
Thanks to all who have responded. It seems the common theme is the price of ammo. Like I said, he wanted something heftier that a 22 cal, but not sure if he was aware of the ammo prices. I will have a chat with him and come back to continue with this thread.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-09-2009, 9:33 PM
Ken, I thought you shot multimeters
David,

You are close...it's troubleshoot with multimeters!:D

Rich Engelhardt
06-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Hello,
I'm partial to the Browning Buckmark over the Ruger.
The Buckmark (IMHO) is a bit more refined.
Although my most often shot pistol is a Ruger .22/45.

Ruger or Browning - it's too close to call which one is better.
That's probably why I have three of each ;).

For something with a little more oomph than a .22, the .357mag is a good step up. It allows the use of cheaper and softer shooting .38spl.

Lee DeRaud
06-10-2009, 1:01 AM
Dunno about rifle ammo, but the problem with centerfire pistol ammo lately isn't just the price, it's a question of finding some for sale.
People seem to be hoarding the stuff like they expect a zombie plague to break out. :eek:

(Or maybe they took my sig a little too seriously...)

Steve Rozmiarek
06-10-2009, 2:06 AM
Dunno about rifle ammo, but the problem with centerfire pistol ammo lately isn't just the price, it's a question of finding some for sale.
People seem to be hoarding the stuff like they expect a zombie plague to break out. :eek:

(Or maybe they took my sig a little too seriously...)

Thats one great reason to call Dillion! Those blue presses sure make ammo cheaper, fast.

Mark Hix
06-10-2009, 9:26 AM
My 2 cents....I own both the Ruger and the Buckmark. The Browinging fits my hand better. Both are fun to shoot. I paid $10 for a brick a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that unless you wanted something special, there was no other choice for ammo.

I also shoot a Baretta 9mm when I can get the shells.

My plinking rifle is a $50 savage 22 single shot that is older than I am (48). Accurate, you can't hurt it and I taught my sons to shoot with it. When you only have one shell, you try harder to hit the target.

Lee DeRaud
06-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Thats one great reason to call Dillion! Those blue presses sure make ammo cheaper, fast.Reloading components aren't all that much easier to find: Dillon is showing "out of stock" on primers and "call first" on bullets.

Burt Alcantara
06-10-2009, 10:45 AM
I use a Buckmark for bullseye. I hate the Rugers as they are a royal pain to disassemble. Some can put them back blindfolded but others, like me, end up cussing and throwing them away.

A good inexpensive and very accurate rifle is the CZ-American. Free floating the barrel will get you close to a match rifle. Other mods are very inexpensive and put you close to an Anschutz (I said close...).

Of course, if you have the money...

The Best: Hammerli
The others: S&W Model 41, Benelli, Pardini, Walther

Then there's air. Good air guns are more expensive then standard ammunition guns. But, you can practice in your basement.

Curt Harms
06-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Alex, you really need to find out what he wants to do with it. For general plinking the .22 is the best - pick your make/model - they'll all work for plinking. The biggest reason for this is price. And not the guns themselves, but the ammo. For many reasons (and let's keep them out of this discussion so it doesn't get political) people are buying up a lot of guns and even more ammo. The price of ammo has nearly doubled in the last six months for all the popular calibers. The AR-15 is an awesome gun, but check out the price of .223 rounds - they are through the roof.

I shoot well over 1000 rounds a month in 9mm and 5.56 (.223) - I'm extremely thankful I don't pay for all those rounds. And let's not even start talking about the 7.62 and 50 cal rounds I fire off quarterly. We spend A LOT of money to maintain weapons proficiency for over 500 Sailors.

So before he truly chooses, be sure he can afford to buy the rounds (my last personal purchase of .45 ACP for my 1911 cost me over 50 cents a round).

Be well,

Doc

Check the online ammo sources. It's not just expensive--it's unavailable. I just picked the first vendor to come up on Google and checked 9mm Luger. Anything less than about $40 for 50 rounds is unavailable, no backorder. I read where an oldtime gunfighter type said you need to put at least 500 rounds through a handgun to become familiar with it. I scoffed. He was right. There are others here who know more about it than I do but IMO skills do transfer from one weapon to another so develop basic skills and good habits with something cheap to shoot then upgrade if he's so inclined. Rentals are also a good idea.

Steve Rozmiarek
06-10-2009, 1:28 PM
Reloading components aren't all that much easier to find: Dillon is showing "out of stock" on primers and "call first" on bullets.

Really!? I guess I haven't bought anything this year, yet, but the last order I placed from Midway for a bunch of powder was fine. I also bought a bunch of rifle bullets from Cabelas. Those where components for 220 Swift, 25-06, 223, 204 Ruger, and 221 Fireball, so not much pistol stuff there!

I do order my powders, primers and bullets online from either Midway or Cabelas. Black Hills ammo also stocks a bunch of 223 ammo.

I did hear one of the sellers commenting at the last gun show I was at, that Obama helped him sell a big pile of guns.

Jim King
06-10-2009, 2:19 PM
To make the 22 Caliber more hefty just make a stock out of Bloodwood or some other heavy dense species and make it over size for the weight you want. Below is a photo os a stock I made for my wifes 410 from Pink Flame. Quite hefty and swings well.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47144&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1158602668 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47144&d=1158602668)

Lee DeRaud
06-10-2009, 7:29 PM
Really!? I guess I haven't bought anything this year, yet, but the last order I placed from Midway for a bunch of powder was fine. I also bought a bunch of rifle bullets from Cabelas. Those where components for 220 Swift, 25-06, 223, 204 Ruger, and 221 Fireball, so not much pistol stuff there!It seems to be affecting handgun stuff much more than rifle stuff, although you may start to find .223 bullets and brass harder to find too.

Joel Goodman
06-10-2009, 8:01 PM
In terms of heavier -- does he mean the caliber or the rifle or pistol? I would also recommend a 22 to start. The Ruger 10/22 rifle is available with a heavy 1" bull barrel from the factory is is quite accurate. I had one made up by a gunsmith (Jim Clark) prior to the factory making them and it would shoot 10 shots at 50 yds into a dime. Of course a good bold action is excellent but can be pricey. The 22 pistol Ruger makes is also available with a bull barrel and is a good choice. If money is no object and you want the above with a really great trigger and barrel look at Clark Custom Guns website -- but they are pricey. Also if you're not familiar with firearms get some expert lessons so you are safe! If you start with heavier calibers and want to shoot a lot you will need to reload. Dillon is an excellent company for reloading equipment. The 22 is the best training weapon and no matter what else you get you'll always be happy to have a good 22.

Logan William
06-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Not sure what experience/knowledge your uncle has with firearms so if that experience is limited I would first suggest to find the local shooting range and take their basic firearms class. Purchasing without having proper knowledge of safe handling principles and basic firearms safety is a huge mistake.

With that said my suggestion is for a handgun to pick up a .22 of reputable brand, your choice on semi auto vs. wheelgun, I'm partial to the semi auto so I would suggest a Buckmark, Ruger MK II/III or a Sig Mosquito(little picker about ammo but an excellent gun IMO). With those you're going to have a very reliable, fairly accurate gun with good resale if he ever decides to sell it, and has about the cheapest cost to shoot to help make getting used to it easier. If he's looking for more power(which in my opinion is a mistake without having a decent amount of experience shooting hanguns) I would look at something along the lines of a .357 Mag revolver or a 9mm semi-auto. The .357 would be bullet proof, pretty much guaranteed it will work everytime if used in self/home defense, and allows you to shoot .38 special. The 9mm is a good multi-use cartridge, a plethora of firearms choices, and if you spend enough money could even get a gun(such as one based off a 1911 Colt) that has conversion barrels to allow you to shoot .22LR, giving the practice/familiarity with the gun/shooting for pennies a shot instead of dimes a shot.

It would be well worth the money to head to the local range and see what they have for rental pistols and try a couple out to see which he likes best. Probably run between 30 and 50 bucks including range fees, but much cheaper than buying one and not liking it so it sits in the safe.

For a rifle its hard to say without having a better idea of the desired use. Again tons of excellent choices in .22 LR, if he's looking for something with more punch as suggested the .17HMR is an awesome round with plenty of power for punching holes in paper(or anything else) accurately out to 175-200 yds with the right marksman. As suggested .223(NATO 5.56) is probably the first logical step into the larger caliber centerfire ring, though don't count out the .243 also. If he's wanting something to shoot long range (+300 yds, out to roughly 500) the .22-250 is an extremely fast moving, flat shooting, accurate round however is going to get a little pricier when it comes to ammo and any amount of shooting is going to likely warrant reloading to save money(if you can find the materials to reload!). In the end for the rifle whatever you get without knowing more about the skill level and the purpose I would suggest it be a bolt action as they're generally speaking more accurate and reliable, top it with a decent scope and plan on buying at least several hundred rounds of ammo for it he breaks it in, practices, sights in, etc.

C Scott McDonald
06-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Even though ammo is currently hard to find and expensive I would still recommend an AR-15. There are so so many accessories, add-ons upgrades that it is a hobby in and of itself. The prices are have started to collapse after the panic buying after O'Bama was elected. You can buy a basic rifle and get extra uppers for what you want to do with it. Since they are all ade to the same specs you can interchange parts with the exception of Colt. The only thing on an AR-15 that requires a FFL is the Lower any thing else you can just buy off the shelf.

Plus they are just a hoot to shoot with very little recoil.

Good luck,
Scott

Steve Rozmiarek
06-10-2009, 11:17 PM
In terms of heavier -- does he mean the caliber or the rifle or pistol? I would also recommend a 22 to start. The Ruger 10/22 rifle is available with a heavy 1" bull barrel from the factory is is quite accurate. I had one made up by a gunsmith (Jim Clark) prior to the factory making them and it would shoot 10 shots at 50 yds into a dime. Of course a good bold action is excellent but can be pricey. The 22 pistol Ruger makes is also available with a bull barrel and is a good choice. If money is no object and you want the above with a really great trigger and barrel look at Clark Custom Guns website -- but they are pricey. Also if you're not familiar with firearms get some expert lessons so you are safe! If you start with heavier calibers and want to shoot a lot you will need to reload. Dillon is an excellent company for reloading equipment. The 22 is the best training weapon and no matter what else you get you'll always be happy to have a good 22.

I'll second the Clark recommendation. I have an older Clark Mauser in 220 Swift. That thing is absolutly the best rifle that I have ever shot. Not that it takes much really, but it will easily outshoot my capabilities. Pricey stuff though. A buddy of mine has a couple Cooper's, which are nice semi-custom rifles too. Cheaper than a full custom Clark.

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-11-2009, 8:56 PM
Just my humble opinion, but:

For one of the best, semi-reasonably priced small bore target rifle, I suggest a Savage Anshutz bolt action, bull barrel, single shot, with Lyman sights. I have had one since 1960 and have pounded 6 penny nails with it at 50 ft. (I had very good eyes back then).
A descent price will about $750.00. Once you own one, you will love it.

As for a pistol, I would choose an S&W model 41 in .22 Cl.

Bruce

David Drickhamer
06-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Lots of good advise out there and can't really disagree with any of it but still feel the need to add my 2 cents.

A 22 is a good chose for several reasons. Cheap to shoot making it easier to shoot lots more and develop the skills need to be proficient with the firearm. These skills, safe gun handling, sight alignment and trigger control, carry over to any other firearm.

Semi auto or revolver? Your choice. Both are good. Same with rifle. Bolt or semi auto?

My choice for an affordable handgun would be Ruger Mkll or Single action revolver or maybe something used. With the economy the way it is I don't think you'd have much trouble finding quality user.

Centerfire handgun, it depends what you want to use it for. 9MM or 38 SPL would be the most economical and are both good cartridges. Other choices are 40 S&W, 357 mag, 44 mag 45 ACP etc.

Rifle is the same way. Bolt, semi auto,etc. A good 22 rifle and affordable is a Ruger 10/22. Put a heavy barrel on it and you have something with some heft to it and can be used for target or plinking. I built a 10/22 that will out shoot my Anschutz that cost severat times more. Bolt action, I like CZ, Remington or Savage.

Centerfire rifle, again depends what you want it for. AR 15's are pricey but good guns. Brownells sells a sub caliper adapter that will convert the AR to a 22. I have one and love it. Practice with 22 then shoot 223. In a bolt action, as mentioned earlier, it's hard to beat a Savage. Not pretty but will shoot as well as Remington, Ruger or Winchester.

The main thing when buying a firearm is to get something you can afford, ammo is readily available and you can get out and shoot a lot and have fun with.

Don't forget hearing and eye protection and use a range with a safe back stop.

Have fun.
Dave

Nick Abbott
06-12-2009, 9:36 AM
I don't really care for the Ruger 10/22 due to it's short length making it awkward to handle. However 22. caliber rimfire rifles are cheap to buy, fun and inexpensive to shoot. I personally am fond of .22 rimfire pump action rifles. I also always keep a Ruger single-six revolver with a 6" barrel around for entertaining plinking. It's been a fun hangun to own for the past 30 years or so.

If he wants a center fire rifle that is inexpensive to shoot look at the SKS. For a center fire handgun I would suggest a 4" revolver chambered for .357 magnum (I prefer Smith & Wesson) and would shoot .38 specials thru it.

Michael Trivette
06-12-2009, 9:59 AM
:confused:I'm suprised.

People suggesting if 22 LR isnt enough go to things like 357 mag.

I love my 44 mag. it shoots 44 spc. as well.

But the first gun I recdomend to EVERYONE IS

The 22 magnum.
The 22 mag is alot more bang for buck than 22 LR
and the prices are still reasonable.

Everyone here is raving about the 17hmr. But I out shoot them with my old Marlin 22 mag.

Pistol wise there are many choices in 22 mag. as well.
If you get a revolver for the pistol option.
Many come with 22 LR cylinder and a 22 Mag. Cylinder alowing you to shoot either.

TRY THE 22 MAGNUM . I think you'll like it.
It's the best balance of
Power
Acuracy
and cost to shoot you can get.

However if big bangs are your thing, and money is no object.

Go with the Ruger Redhawk 44 Magnum Revolver. ;)

Burt Alcantara
06-12-2009, 4:14 PM
Best shooting gun I own and every shot is a Freedom Arms model 83 in 44mag.

Ted Calver
06-12-2009, 4:41 PM
For big bang in a hand gun I like the .500 Smith and Wesson Magnum.

David Epperson
06-12-2009, 4:53 PM
For big bang in a hand gun I like the .500 Smith and Wesson Magnum.
Other than being heavy and taking $2-$3 each time you want it to go WHOOM. (They don't go bang, they really thump - from 4 lanes over at the range. If you or anyone near has a pacemaker, be warned, you WILL feel it)

Jerry Bruette
06-12-2009, 6:11 PM
Go pick up a T/C Contender then you can get any barrel you want, if T/C doesn't make a big enough thumper then go to an after market company and get one.

Anything's possible from 22RF to 45-70 and beyond. Oh ya and they're accurate like you wouldn't believe.

Jerry

Paul Ryan
06-12-2009, 7:38 PM
Jerry makes a good point. I forgot about the thompson contenders. They have have sorts of barrels for them so you can shot all kinds of rounds to figure out what you really like. You want something the really goes whomp! Try a thompson contender pistol with a 45-70 barrel on it.

David G Baker
06-12-2009, 9:25 PM
Does the Law Rocket Launcher count for the big bang? I fired one in the Army along with the 50 caliber machine gun, but was issued a M-14 and a 45.
I have the kids 22 plinker Mossberg single shot lever action LR that works for finishing of nasty critters that do damage around my place. Looking for a clip that fits but so far haven't had any luck. I am working on setting up a back ground for target practice that is made from a bunch of 8-10 foot logs and a lot of sand. I forgot how much I love the smell of gun powder

Scott T Smith
06-12-2009, 11:41 PM

Alex, there has been a lot of good advice offered on this string thus far. With respect to the handguns, I would offer the following advice.

First, determine what range of calibers are acceptable for the needs at hand. Is the firearm just for target shooting or will it potentially be used for self-defense? If the latter, other considerations apply. For semi-auto's, your three most realistic caliber choices are 9mm, .40, and .45 auto. If magazine capacity is a concern, you can usually find higher capacity mags for 9mm versus .45.

For revolvers, your most common choices are .38, .357 (and you can shoot 38's in most guns chambered for .357), and .44 magnum. One unique choice amongst the revolver are the "Judge" series from Taurus - they shoot either .45 long colt or .410 shotgun shells, and the recoil is manageable.

Second, is there a preference between a revolver or a semi-auto? The latter offer much greater ammunition capacity than the revolver, but are slightly more complicated and require greater hand strength in order to cycle the slide.

Third, and I personally feel that this is the most important - select a handgun that fits the shooter, as opposed to trying to make the shooter adapt to the gun. Every model of handgun is different, and the way that they fit into your hands is different. Find one that fits the best and where the "instinctive point of aim" is as close as possible to the "actual point of aim".

Another questions is related to if your uncle is considering participating in any competitive shooting events? If so, it would be beneficial to determine what classes that he may wish to compete it and then purchase something that is well suited for that class.

On the rifle choices, the first consideration is bolt action or semi-auto? Other than target shooting will the rifle be used for hunting, and if so what game?

Caliber will be influenced by the distances that you want to shoot, and how accurately. In general, higher velocity ammo will have a flatter trajectory, but for shooting at distances less than 100 meters everything is fairly close. AS with the pistols, semi-auto's offer significantly greater ammo capacity than bolt actions.

Another consideration is the weight of the rifle. Will it be carried long distances? If so, weight becomes a significant concern and a lighter, smaller caliber rifle may be more desireable.

Ruger's Mini-14 is an excellent value for a .223 caliber semi-auto rifle. The AR 15's are also great guns, with a lot of accessories available.

Steve Rozmiarek
06-13-2009, 1:08 AM
Does the Law Rocket Launcher count for the big bang? I fired one in the Army along with the 50 caliber machine gun, but was issued a M-14 and a 45.
I have the kids 22 plinker Mossberg single shot lever action LR that works for finishing of nasty critters that do damage around my place. Looking for a clip that fits but so far haven't had any luck. I am working on setting up a back ground for target practice that is made from a bunch of 8-10 foot logs and a lot of sand. I forgot how much I love the smell of gun powder

David, how do you get a clip into a single shot rifle? ;) I suppose it originally had a clip, and it's MIA. If so, you might have some luck with Midway. My brother found a long obsolete clip for an old Mossberg bolt action 22 in their stock. Might be worth a try!

Al Willits
06-14-2009, 5:33 PM
Kinda like asking favorite car, so many different opinions and the hard part is finding which one fits the buyer.

Have him go shoot a bunch and see what he likes.
Ammo for some pistols is hard to find now, but give it time, and it'll get better.

Wife carry's a .380 or 9mm and finding ammo for either is tough right now, 38 and .357 isn't so bad here anyway.

fwiw

My favorites
Rifle
Ruger 10/22
Remington (I have several they all shoot well when matched to the right ammo)
Remington .223 VS

The .22's are the cheapest to shoot and don't invovle reloading.

Handguns

S&W model 41 tackdriver, but now spendy

S&W 625 Loaded for .45acp, fun gun to shoot

SVI Open gun in .38 super, not excatly a run of the mill gun, but very fun to shoot, reloading required unless you have accounts pay for it all.

S&W 686 in .357, I had the 8 in barrel, but I'd reccomend the 6" barrel, .38 is cheaper to shoot and there's always the .357 if ya want more power.

btw I've shot the .500, that is not a gun you'd spend the afternoon shooting though a couple hundred rounds, least nobody I know would. :D

Al

Kent E. Matthew
06-15-2009, 11:33 PM
I really don't shoot rifles so I can't really comment. I have considered an AR myself. Handguns you have a much bigger choice to decide. Target, revolver, autoloader. I would recommend for this decision go to the local gun shop and fondle as many as they will let you. The feel of a handgun is very important. If it doesn't feel good in your hand it won't be fun to shoot. The very first time I put an HK USPf .45 in my hand that was it. I had to have one. It took a little time for me to get used to shooting a polymer pistol, but it shoots sweet. If polymers are not your thing I also have a Sig Sauer P228. Any Sig model is a very fine choice. I also have a Heckler and Koch P7. Not for everyone. You either love them or hate them. I will not part with mine. Obviously I'm in to autoloaders.

Mike Cutler
06-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Alex

Lots of good replies eh. If the .22 is out, and it really shouldn't be, and something larger is desired, your uncle needs to be clear on his requirements.
Target shooting is just that. It is a very intense mental discipline,and those that do it well are rare. The caliber of the round doesn't matter, unless you are shooting in class. If a person can't shoot a .22 accurately, it's an odds on bet that they can't shoot a larger centerfire any more accurately.
A custom made, competition grade .22 in either handgun, or rifle can cost thousands of dollars before the first shot leaves the barrel.

How big is your uncle? how large are his hands? what is the length of his arm? how much does he weigh? does he have a history of back problems? How old is he? These are all questions that would have to be considered to offer truly good advice. Nothing is worse than trying to accuratley shoot an ill fitting firearm.

Nail him down a little more, and I think you'll get some more concrete advice.

Brent Ring
06-16-2009, 6:54 PM
FYI - I just purchased a Para GI Expert in .45 ACP - Have not shot it yet - but everyone that has reviewed it loves the 4-4.5 lb trigger, and the 1-2" groupings after 500 rds. I am looking forward to testing it out myself soon, but have been told to wait until after fathers day!:eek::D.

I will let you know what I find out - but it was $519.00 at Cabelas!