PDA

View Full Version : Workbench & Assembly Table

Larry Frank
06-09-2009, 2:32 PM
I finally finished my combination Workbench and assembly table. I should thank all those who have posted with their ideas and their benches. I have read many taking ideas from those, books and articles. I spent a lot of time drawing and redrawing and making changes until I was pretty close to what I thought that I wanted.

The picture is an overall of the workbench.

· It is about 62 inches long and 38 inches wide.
· I built it tall at 38 inches as this is comfortable for me and just a little lower than my table saw.
· I used four heavy duty double locking casters. These allow easy movement of the workbench while also being very steady when the casters are locked.
· The top is about 2-1/4 inches thick made of two layers of plywood and one layer of MDF on the top which is replaceable. Some areas of the workbench are up to 4 inches thick.
· The outside rim is made of two ¾” layers of either hard maple or red oak.
· There are two vises typical of many plans with one on the front left and other on the right end.
· The front side of the cabinet below the top has drawers and the back side which is not shown has doors.

The layout and drilling the holes was perhaps the most difficult task. The holes were spaced on multiples of 4 inches. A 2.5 inch thick piece of maple with the ¾’ inch holes drilled on the drill press was used as a drill guide. The holes were drilled with a auger type bit. All of the holes were drilled and then given a thin coat of finish to reduce effects of moisture. After the finish, I lightly sanded the holes.

One issue that I had was the cost of bench dogs and other hardware for the top of the bench. I decided to make my own as shown in the pictures. The main issue was to find properly sized ¾” dowel rods for the holes and give them a coat of finish to reduce the change in size due to moisture.

I also decided to use wood threaded studs on the bench and added some threaded nuts on the underside of most of the workbench holes and secured with screws. A relatively inexpensive tap and die was used to make the ¾” – 6 threads. I wondered if these would be strong enough but have clamped and banged on them with no problems or breakage. Using this setup has provided lots of flexibility for jigs to be attached to the workbench or even long boards to use for alignment and assembly. I have some jigs to be “bolted” down to the top that have heavy duty lever clamps attached for better holding of cabinet parts.

I am using the bench and continue to find ways that I would change it. But for now, I think the only change is to drill a few more holes with the threaded nut on the bottom.

I would love to know how others have made bench dogs and or other devices for holding material on the workbench.

glenn bradley
06-09-2009, 4:18 PM
72 views and not one comment. The Creek is getting too big. . . .

Nice looking table Larry. The clamp and dog setup should really be handy and we can always use more drawers!

Marty Paulus
06-09-2009, 4:36 PM
Very nice job. I really like the threaded hold downs.

harry strasil
06-09-2009, 5:56 PM
dogs and wedges.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/bench7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/bench9.jpg

Todd Trebuna
06-09-2009, 6:15 PM
Awesome. I just finished my first bench this past week. The tail vise did not come out perfectly, but it is definitely usable.

I really like your bench and I think I will add a small face vise to the end. Great ideas, especially the threaded dogs.

In the interest of comparison, I will post my amateur bench for a sample. Holy Dust collection batman.

Jim Kountz
06-09-2009, 6:18 PM
Great looking bench/table. That thing looks like a hoss, should provide years of good service!!
Well done!!

John Schreiber
06-09-2009, 7:42 PM
Looks great. Congratulations.

Robert Chapman
06-09-2009, 8:24 PM
Your bench is a beautiful piece of work. You are a true craftsman. After a few months of work the bench will develop a patina that will make it look even better [if that is possible].Should last for generations.

Greg Hines, MD
06-09-2009, 8:35 PM
I like your hold downs, that is a good idea. What I did for vertical hold downs on my bench was to drill some large holes (4 of them) in the middle of the bench, and then screw a pipe flange to the underside of the benchtop. This allows me to thread in pipe stubs at those locations, and use standard clamp fittings to make very effective hold downs when I need them. I don't use them very often, but when I use the portable planer, I can secure it to the benchtop very securely.

Doc

Larry Heflin
06-09-2009, 11:34 PM
38 inches! And it's lower than your table saw? You must be huge. I just cut my workbench down from 36 inches to 34 today after a long session of working with hand planes. I built mine tall (for me, I'm 5'9) with the idea of cutting it down if I ever needed to. You have a nice bench. It looks like you put a lot of thought into it.