PDA

View Full Version : need advice

Rags Alan Ragland
06-09-2009, 1:25 PM
I need expert advice--I am painting one side of acrylic sheet and then engraving the paint off on that side. Has worked perfictly and really looks good. Now when I attempt to paint the painted side that I have engraved with a contrasting color the paint crinkles, and ruins the sign. I am using Krylon platic shaker can on both. The company cannot explain other than saying the first coat needs to dry for 48 hrs. I told them it had dried for three weeks. Any advice?
Thanks
Dr. Rags

Epilog 36EXT 75W, Rayzist sandblaster, Chroma Craft.

Frank Corker
06-09-2009, 1:44 PM
Rags there is only usually a couple of things that will cause the crinkling effect. Contamination or conflict in the paint. The two paints made by the same company should not have any property changes, but there is obviously something in one that reacts with the the other. You might find that if you swap the colours around, the problem will not appear.

I usually use a straight forward acrylic paint, it doesn't seem to react with anything and covers very well. It can be sprayed on using water as a dilution.

David Fairfield
06-09-2009, 1:49 PM
Spray a clear barrier coat between paints. Future Acrylic Floor Wax is awesome for that, plus you can get it at any supermarket for a couple of bucks.

Dave

Tim Bateson
06-09-2009, 2:32 PM
This was discussed just a couple days ago. You can search that thread, but they recommended Krylon H2O as it did not craze which only occurs when you use Krylon Fusion on lasered areas of the acrylic.

Rags Alan Ragland
06-09-2009, 8:17 PM
Thanks guys I knew I could count on help here. You-all always come through.
Frank--The Krylon is from the same batch and even the same color (second Coat).
David--I'll try the clear you suggested on my next piece.
Tim-- I am using Krylon H20 and not Fusion (I should have noted that)
The company cannot explain what is going on either. Some times it works some times it crinkles. I'll post what seems to work later.
Again thanks guys.
Dr. Rags

Mike Null
06-09-2009, 8:33 PM
I have had consistent results with Dutch Boy acrylic in the spray cans. I get it at Sears.

Rags Alan Ragland
06-10-2009, 2:02 PM
Once again thanks to all of you for your help. It's so comforting to know that you are all so willing to help.
I think my solution is to pain a second coat it must be within one hour of the first. To put a second coat it must be after 48hrs of the first one.
I have used this time formula and it seems to work even if I change color on the second coat. So far seems to work just as I had it in my mind.