PDA

View Full Version : Plain plane advice

Richard Dooling
06-09-2009, 1:22 PM
I have a Stanley Bailey frog with a loose lateral lever. Do I try to tighten the rivet or just let it go until it fails and then reattach it? Hammering the rivet makes me a bit nervous given the fragile nature of old iron.

The blade is down to about 0.75” of metal before the slot. Are these blades tempered such that they are good until there is no usable material left or does the temper vary along the length of the blade?

Source for a lever cap?

This is a #8 and I believe it is a type 9.

Thanks

Jim Koepke
06-09-2009, 1:51 PM
I have a Stanley Bailey frog with a loose lateral lever. Do I try to tighten the rivet or just let it go until it fails and then reattach it? Hammering the rivet makes me a bit nervous given the fragile nature of old iron.

The blade is down to about 0.75” of metal before the slot. Are these blades tempered such that they are good until there is no usable material left or does the temper vary along the length of the blade?

Source for a lever cap?

This is a #8 and I believe it is a type 9.

Thanks

My method for tightening a rivet is to use a couple of punches if possible. This will usually require a vise and an extra hand to hold the frog. It will allow all the force to go to the rivet. If it is not real loose, then it may be better left alone. If the frog needs some surface work (lapping), then you may want to remove the lever first.

The early blades were laminated. You may be able to see the lamination demarkation along the side of the blade. Using a nail to scratch the blade may also reveal where the lamination ends.

I just checked Bob Kaune's site and a #8 cap is not listed, but you might try emailing him. Also check all the other places like Brass City Records. There was one on eBay recently with a blade and chip breaker, item 220424902913. How bad is the one you have?

jim

Richard Dooling
06-09-2009, 7:24 PM
Hey Jim,

The cap is not a disaster but it does have a "I need a screwdriver" chip out of one corner. I have ground it down a little but eventually I'll want to replace it. I sent an email to Brass City. We will see.

I thought the older blades were laminated - I'll give it a close look as you suggest.

Thanks

Dominic Greco
06-10-2009, 8:48 AM
Hey Jim,

The cap is not a disaster but it does have a "I need a screwdriver" chip out of one corner. I have ground it down a little but eventually I'll want to replace it. I sent an email to Brass City. We will see.

I thought the older blades were laminated - I'll give it a close look as you suggest.

Thanks

Richard,
I found that calling Walt at Brass City Tools and Records (203 574-7805) is a much faster than emailing. Plus you get to talk with him. He's a real nice guy who knows his stuff!