PDA

View Full Version : Stemless Wine Glass Rotaary Help

David James
06-09-2009, 11:59 AM
I just got an order for stemless wine glasses and I am having difficulty getting the glass to keep from moving while raster engraving on the Epilog rotary attachment.

Any help or ideas on keeping the glass in place and not shifting while rotating?
Thank you in advance! DJ

Doug Griffith
06-09-2009, 12:24 PM
I've never done it before and don't even have a rotary attachment but how about cutting a stem sized circle out of acrylic and sticking it on the bottom of each glass with double-sided tape. Create a quick and dirty alignment fixture for mounting it on center.

Tom Delaney
06-09-2009, 6:34 PM
I have never tried this suggestion but some time ago someone recommended putting some marbles or weight in a small bag and put it inside the glass. The weight will secure it more tightly. NEVER TRIED IT but it sounds logical

Stephen Beckham
06-11-2009, 1:11 PM
I have never tried this suggestion but some time ago someone recommended putting some marbles or weight in a small bag and put it inside the glass. The weight will secure it more tightly. NEVER TRIED IT but it sounds logical

Or a big 'steelie' like out of a pinball machine. They'll roll with the glass and keep them heavy(er).

Beyond that, I'm not sure what you're talking about 'stemless' - got a photo of it on the rotary (out of the laser)?

nancy barry
06-11-2009, 4:01 PM
I used to own an Epilog. With that rotary, I used a sandwich bag filled with metal bb's.. or sometimes small marbles. I found the smaller size "weight" shifted more easily inside the glass.. Might need something other than plastic bag to enhance movement ...

The stemless glasses my daughter has seem to be really thin and fragile..

hth,
nancyB

Darryl Hazen
06-11-2009, 6:57 PM
The problem with stemless wine glasses is that the rounded base gives you no way to balance the bottom of the glass. Could you use a suction cup stuck to the bottom of the wine glass? That could give you something for the rollers to run on. We had one request for stemless wineglasses. I managed to talk the into the standard wine glasses. It certainly made the job easier.

Linda Kroeker
06-11-2009, 10:41 PM
I've done a few stemless wine glass...I believe we took one set of the wheels off
of the rotary and it made it more balanced and used the clip also...

Mike Null
06-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Linda

Nice work and good photo.

Brian Robison
06-12-2009, 11:49 AM
If the art work doesn't wrap around too far, laser it without the rotary.

Carol Barbero
06-12-2009, 2:36 PM
I use the Epilog Rotary attachment and had the same problem. Once I used the clip that came with it, I had much better results.