PDA

View Full Version : Leigh jigs/router bit sets

Jamie Smith
06-09-2009, 8:44 AM
Hi all-

I am getting ready to order a leigh d4r, and have a question about the router bit sets.

Are leigh bits any good? Or would I be better served, quality and price wise, to go with another brand?

If so, what brand?

Most of the bits that I have in my arsenal are from a woodcraft kit. They are passable, but definitely leave a bit to be desired (pun intended ;))

Also, when getting these bits, should I go with solid carbide, or is HSS sufficient (or more desirable?)

And yes, I would prefer to go with a set ;)

edit-
I should point out that the one of the routers that will be used is a dewalt, which doesn't have an 8mm collet, and would require an adapter. If anyone knows where to get an actually 8mm collet rather than just the reducer, that would be good (it is the dewalt 618)

TIA,

-jamie

Greg Sznajdruk
06-09-2009, 12:46 PM
When I ordered mine with the 8mm bits the collet was included. As far as I can tell the router bits are as good as yhe jig.

leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=41789&cat=1,43000

Greg

David Christopher
06-09-2009, 12:52 PM
When I bought my leigh jig about 2 months ago it came with the bits and 8 mm collet

Steve Rozmiarek
06-10-2009, 2:02 AM
I've got the Leigh bits, whichwork well. I have broken one recently, but I suppose everything fatigues eventually. It was a 1/4" shank too.

I wonder if you really do need a "set". I use three bits with my jig. If you look at the recommended bits for the thicknesses that you work, you may be able to save some bucks. One thing that I've taken to doing, due to the broken bit causing a several day delay in a project, is keeping a spare of the most used ones.

Tom Hintz
06-10-2009, 3:21 AM
I got the 14-bit (8mm shank) set when I got my D4R just to be sure I had everything but have found myself using more of those bits way sooner than I thought I would. Having that versatility makes me more versatile I guess.
I have used Leigh bits with my earlier D4 also and found them to be as good as anything I have seen. I have tried some bits from other companies, made for the D4 and they worked well also but not to where I could say they are better than Leighs own line.

Tony Joyce
06-10-2009, 7:24 AM
Buy the Leigh 8mm bit set and Leigh 1/2" to 8mm reducer. I had reservations too, but it has worked very well with my DW618(2 actually) router. You won't be disappointed. I got one set of Leigh bits from Woodcraft on sale, a good bargain.

The carbide set is the only way to go, if you do any hardwoods.

Tony

Jamie Smith
06-10-2009, 7:33 AM
Buy the Leigh 8mm bit set and Leigh 1/2" to 8mm reducer. I had reservations too, but it has worked very well with my DW618(2 actually) router. You won't be disappointed. I got one set of Leigh bits from Woodcraft on sale, a good bargain.

The carbide set is the only way to go, if you do any hardwoods.

Tony

Thanks all-

I ended up ordering it from Highland Woodworking. They had a bundle that included their own bits, for a little less. The guy told me that they same people that make the bits for leigh make them for HT.