PDA

View Full Version : Rotary attachment-new idea

onur cakir
06-09-2009, 2:55 AM
Hi everyone !

A cook from Turkish cooking national team contacted me to ask if i can engrave acrylic tube used as rolling pin.

As i never seen a product like that; after a small googling it looked like a good idea to me

like : http://www.creationsbyedith.com/index.php/cPath/39

Acrylic tubes are around $7 for 1 mt. and pins are around 20 cm. so cost for a tube is around $1,4.

As there is no engraver doing such a business in Turkey all pins are imported and have limited pattern selection.

So what is the price of the attachment in USA ? Anyone willing to sell as 2nd hand ?

And what is the min. diameter size for a piece to use with attachment ?

Thanks

Rodne Gold
06-09-2009, 4:19 AM
If you try to engrave clear hollow tubing (tubing not solid rods) , the beam goes right thru and marks the inside of the tube opposite where you engraved..

onur cakir
06-09-2009, 6:02 AM
If you try to engrave clear hollow tubing (tubing not solid rods) , the beam goes right thru and marks the inside of the tube opposite where you engraved..

hmm...i never thought about it.

For each size of tubes i can cut solid wood shafts to use while engraving. That might work for it.

Michael Simpson Virgina
06-09-2009, 8:11 AM
Just place something in the tube.

Kim Vellore
06-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Rodne,
If it is acrylic it should block the CO2 IR wavelength 100% just like the lid for the laser. Unless it cuts through the hollow tube it should not mark the inside or it might not be an acrylic tube.... I could be wrong, I have not actually tried it.

Kim

Dave Johnson29
06-09-2009, 11:11 AM

Rodney,

Are you saying it cuts through the first surface and then marks the inside one? Surely that would be a power issue, no?

I cannot imagine how the beam would pass though the first surface and not cut or mark it.

I think Onur is talking about tube that is maybe 1/8" thick if it is used for rolling the pattern on to pastry dough.

Gary Hair
06-09-2009, 11:59 AM

Impossible.

If you cut through tubing it will mark the other side, but the beam will have diverged quite a bit and will leave a mark. I know this because I have cut 1/4" thick, 4" diameter tubing. My solution when cutting was to place a piece of scrap wood on the bottom, worked fine.

Engraving can't do the same because the beam is focused on the side you are engraving and the power is set to engrave, not cut. There is no possible way it can mark the other side.

Lenin Alvarez
06-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Rodne,
If it is acrylic it should block the CO2 IR wavelength 100% just like the lid for the laser. Unless it cuts through the hollow tube it should not mark the inside or it might not be an acrylic tube.... I could be wrong, I have not actually tried it.

Kim

What he said, we just bought two epilog machines for our shop, they offer two attachments a clamp like attachment (new product) for around 2500 and this one http://www.epiloglaser.com/legend_rotary.htm for 1150.