PDA

View Full Version : Intro and BS replacement motor advice

Jim Hinze
08-20-2004, 10:56 AM
I don't think I've posted here yet, but have been lurking for quite some time. Very nice community you have here and I have learned a TON from just reading.

I'm still setting up shop and building small things but will try and post some pictures soon.

I recently purchased a used Delta band saw (28-245). It's in awesome shape, but I'd like to replace the 1/2 hp motor (I'd like to add a riser for resawing and a new motor pully per iturra design to speed up rpm's).

I'm looking at 2 motors (can't afford a baldor they are $250+, too expensive for me right now) and was wondering if y'all had any opinion one way or another, or perhaps an alternative I haven't considered.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G2534
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47026

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

--
Jim Hinze

Ken Fitzgerald
08-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Jim......Welcome to the 'Creek! Neat bunch of people here always willing to echange ideas and comment. Pros to beginners...they are all here! I can't offer any advice on those motors but I'm sure other members will! Again.......Welcome!

Bob Hovde
08-20-2004, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the Creek!

I haven't usd either of the two motors you list, but if I were buying, it would probably be from the Grizz rather than HF. (Unless you know who builds each motor - They could be the same manufacturer.)

Bob

Dennis Peacock
08-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Greetings Jim Hinze and <b>Welcome to Sawmill Creek!!!!</b>

It's really a great place to be. Please take some time now to review the SMC Terms of Service. I would like to see you edit your Signature and remove the references to the links of your sites. This is not allowed as it could be taken as commercial advertising for free.

If you want these links to be available to those that are curious enough to search them out, please make them a part of the Personal Profile.

I used to be a weight lifter....now I just carry "weight" around every where I go.!!! ;)

Ken Salisbury
08-20-2004, 11:21 AM
Greetings Jim Hinze and Welcome to Sawmill Creek!!!!

It's really a great place to be. Please take some time now to review the SMC Terms of Service. I would like to see you edit your Signature and remove the references to the links of your sites. This is not allowed as it could be taken as commercial advertising for free.

I edited the post :) - thanks Dennis

Rob Russell
08-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Jim,

Welcome to the Creek!

I'd stay away from import motors. They traditionally don't do as good a job on the "dip and bake" as the American motors. For the prices you're looking at paying for the Gizz 1.5HP, you could do way better on ebay.

Here's a 5HP for the same price (3450RPM, would actually want to pulleyit down a bit). Emerson 5HP motor (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26226&item=3833636735&rd=1)

For about $200, you could buy a Variable Frequency Drive + a 1 - 1.5HP 3-phase motor and give yourself true variable speed.

Be really careful about swapping motors. You need to make sure the frame size is the same and, in the 56 frame size, there are face mount motors which aren't what you want. One advantage of the 3-phase/VFD solution is that 3-phase motors are reversible, so rotational direction isn't an issue.

Rob

Jim Hinze
08-20-2004, 11:25 AM
First, thanks for the warm welcome and quick replies to my post this morning, this place is truely friendly!

I would like to see you edit your Signature and remove the references to the links of your sites. This is not allowed as it could be taken as commercial advertising for free.

Please forgive me. Those are not in my profile, I added them in as part of the introduction. Neither site is commercial in orgin, APF just a governing body and cryptgym is in my home (private).

I will review the "terms of service" and ensure no further slip-ups.

Jim Hinze
08-20-2004, 11:49 AM
Jim,
Here's a 5HP for the same price (3450RPM, would actually want to pulleyit down a bit). Emerson 5HP motor (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=26226&item=3833636735&rd=1)
Rob

Thanks ROB! I don't have 3 phase capability at home. The current motor is a NEMA 56Z (the Z say they altered the shaft somehow).

At any rate, more looking and I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3834572525&fromMakeTrack=true

Which might be perfect. I'm going to keep looking but that looks viable. I already did the math for the pulley's, I'd need about a 2" on the motor and 6" on the wheel shaft to get about 4000 fpm using a 3450rpm motor. Both pulley's are realtively inexpensive.

Rob Russell
08-20-2004, 12:13 PM
I don't have 3 phase capability at home.

That's the point of the VFD. Most VFD's can take single-phase 240v input and generate the 3-phase for you, plus give you the advantage of true variable speed.

Jim Hinze
08-20-2004, 12:17 PM
That's the point of the VFD. Most VFD's can take single-phase 240v input and generate the 3-phase for you, plus give you the advantage of true variable speed.

Wow... things you learn. Did not know that. Thanks very much.

Wes Bischel
08-20-2004, 2:09 PM
Jim,
If you are not in a hurry, eBay is the place to go. For my recent BS "recreation" I used a 1-1/2HP Baldor TEFC motor off eBay - new in the box. I paid less than $100 including shipping. I have found a number of other motors both AC and DC for a good price. I recently picked up a 2HP Baldor used for $35 - it looks almost new. I usually search specifically for "Baldor". If you can wait, the deals are out there - and as with any eBay auction, make sure you do your homework :rolleyes: . Also, If you have access to a metal lathe, the Grizzly outlet has cast iron pulleys (no bore) for dirt cheap.

Good luck - wish I had found that old Delta to renovate!

Wes

Jim Becker
08-20-2004, 2:43 PM
In addition to EBAY, many of the so-called "surplus" outfits often have new or nearly-new motors available at attractive prices.

And welcome aboard!

Chris Padilla
08-20-2004, 3:03 PM
Welcome aboard, Jim...glad to have you wade in any time. Appreciate the "pics" note...you've obviously read AND paid attention! :D

Don't mind Rob "3-phase/NEC" Russell...he is still trying to get the entire state of Connecticut to switch all residental homes to 3-phase electricity.... ;)

I often wonder why residential homes do not get 3-phase as the norm? How is it in Europe?

Anyway, as the other said, eBay is a good place but check your local electrical supply houses...they often have surplus motors.

Rob Russell
08-20-2004, 3:21 PM
Don't mind Rob "3-phase/NEC" Russell...he is still trying to get the entire state of Connecticut to switch all residental homes to 3-phase electricity.... ;)

I often wonder why residential homes do not get 3-phase as the norm? How is it in Europe?

Ya know Chris, I'd be happy if I could get 3-phase in my shop, fugetabout anywhere else! For that matter, I'd be happy just to get my phase convertor done and shop cleaned up so I could do some woodworking. :( Summer's almost over, so we'll be around more ...

FYI, 3-phase residential is pretty common in some parts of Europe. Because 3-phase motors are more efficient it reduces demands on the power grid.

Chris Padilla
08-20-2004, 3:28 PM
Because 3-phase motors are more efficient it reduces demands on the power grid.
That is what I gather but I don't think I've ever heard of residential 3-phase here in the US. Why is that?

Paul Downes
08-20-2004, 3:39 PM
Jim, Welcome to the Creek, the best forum out there! And another welcome from another Michigander.
Another option if you should decide to go with an import motor is to take it to a motor rebuild shop and have it dipped and baked. I checked this out because I have several Grizzley machines and the cost was negliable. Something like $10-$20 each. Seems like relatively cheap insurance. I haven't done this yet but maybe when I finish setting up my shop I'll get around to it.

Rob Russell
08-20-2004, 3:50 PM
That is what I gather but I don't think I've ever heard of residential 3-phase here in the US. Why is that?

Dunno for sure. My guess is because that's not how services started. In many places, you didn't even have 240v, it was just a 30 amp 120v line for a house.

At this point you have the whole infrastructure thing and the fact that American appliance manufacturers aren't geared around 3-phase motors.

Austin Mike
08-21-2004, 12:51 AM
Hi, I am an old lurker here who finally got around to registering. I upgraded the motor on my Delta 28-275 bandsaw last month to get a little more power and move it to the 220 circuit. I ended up with a 1.5 HP GE motor from Tractor Supply and really like it. The motor is reversible and can be wired for 110 or 220, so it will have a chance at a second life if I ever upgrade from the delta. The installation was easy, but I did have to replace the motor pulley due to the new motor having a larger shaft. Also replaced the switch with one that would work on 220. Total cost was about $200 and well worth it.

Mike

David LaRue
08-21-2004, 8:27 AM
Mike,

I have the same Delta 14" bandsaw. Can you share with us the model number of the motor?

David