PDA

View Full Version : Model trees and architectural accessories

Pete Wood
06-08-2009, 6:32 PM
My college students have been tasked with making architectural models; something the laser is brilliant at producing.

However, I feel their models would have more visual impact, if their buildings were surrounded by model trees, fences, and other accessories.

Does anyone have drawings of trees, topiary, and other useful items, please, that could be made on the laser...? It would be nice, I think, if the trees could be 3D, rather than flat. But I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Peter Meacham
06-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Pete

You could use model RR landscaping products - there are plenty available. Those items should do exactly want you want.

You may have a model train store near you or look on-line for model train sites.

Pete

Robert Ray
06-10-2009, 10:30 AM
The trees, people, fences, lamps, and cars are very inexpensive if purchased from one of the ebay dealers. They are avaliable in many scales, from 1:20 to 1:500.

I have purchased stuff from all these sellers. Some are very toy like, some are very convincing. Look over the photos and read the adds carefully, and you can find some very affordable solutions.

Mike Null
06-10-2009, 10:36 AM
You could make you own using a slide together idea as shown. You can make unlimited varieties.

william kaminsky
06-10-2009, 1:01 PM
Back when, every Christmas time I used to get asked to do some files for flat laser cutting of something for a local church. One year got asked to do a whole church, with people looking out the windows in flat thin plywood. No real instructions, but they said they wanted it big as possible. I used the last bits of 12 inch wide (junk) stock here, and then got comments that the church I drew up did not look the same, or even resemble the one they entered each Sunday. Can't win.

But have someone do up the artwork for your first before setting into the profect too far.

Wm.

Keith Outten
06-13-2009, 6:30 AM
Pete,

Here is an interesting resource for model making, the company is Micro-Mark (http://www.micromark.com). They sell tools and supplies for all kinds of projects, you may be able to find what your looking for in the train section of their catalog, I haven't visited their web site yet. Since your students are older you may find the supplies they sell for making your own scenery interesting.

Hope it helps!