PDA

View Full Version : #7 Jointer or similar?

Jeff Ranck
06-08-2009, 9:37 AM
After reading several threads here and other places, I've been thinking of picking up a joiner, like a #7. However, I'm still a novice and so am not sure how to go about this.

I look on ebay and can find a few there that obviously need to be refurbished. I'm happy to go that route, but have no idea how much these things are worth.

I'd also consider picking up one from someone that is looking to sell.

So where do I go from here? Suggestions?

Sam Takeuchi
06-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Thing is, they are as much worth as what you find it reasonable. User Stanley #7 sell for anything from $50 to $120 plus. Sometimes a good condition #7 gets sold for $50, sometimes not so good conditioned #7 gets picked up for $80. It really depends on what attributes in that particular plane that you and others find it worth paying for.

You should do a search on completed listing on eBay to see how much #7s were sold for in the recent past. Personally I think picking a good condition (either already tuned up, slight surface rust or other light superficial blemish without defects) #7 under $80 is pretty good. Or you can turn to reputable sellers like Sandy (http://www.sydnassloot.com/tools.htm#METPLAN) to get one (conveniently he has one for sale now...I've been eying that one for a couple of weeks, but I already have two #7s...).

I think if you make sure you read the description and check the pictures for any sign of repair, defects, and ask questions if you have any, getting it from eBay isn't bad at all. But if you are still not comfortable with eBay, tool dealers is probably a good alternative if there's no local antique tool shop near you.

David Myers
06-08-2009, 11:17 AM
When I was in search of my jointer plane I got flat out lucky. A spiffy sweetheart-era #7 came up on the bay. The description said it had been 'fully restored' and I placed several bids but the reserve was not met so the auction ended without a sale.

A week later the seller emailed me and asked if I'd buy the plane for my last bid:$32. I accepted in a heartbeat, and the plane is in beautiful shape.

I think two things were at play: 1) 'fully restored' turns off a lot of bidders who are looking to collect rather than use (or like tuning/restoring themselves) and 2) having a reserve is a bit annoying and turns off some bidders.

Since then some items I've followed have not sold and I've emailed the seller and made an offer. Sometimes they accept, sometimes they don't. So my advice is if you go the ebay route, cast a wide net, and don't hesitate to make an offer on decent looking items that don't sell.

Julian Nicks
06-08-2009, 1:39 PM
I got lucky and found one on craigslist that I paid $20 for.

Worth is all relative to what you want to spend. As a woodworker and not a collector, I wouldn't pay over $50 for one.

Jim Koepke
06-08-2009, 2:48 PM
It really depends on how much you want to do to the plane once you get it.

I feel I got a good deal on mine at about $40. It was in great shape except for the tote being painted for identity in a cabinet shop.

I see you are in Washington. If you ever make it down toward Longview, I know where there is one that has been sitting in a shop for awhile and the last time I was there, the asking price was $20. It is dirty, the sole had a little rust. It may need some parts, I do not recall. I felt it was a break even deal if I bought it and fixed it up to sell. I am too busy at the moment to take the time to rehab a plane.

I'll send you a PM with more information.

jim

Greg Crawford
06-08-2009, 3:20 PM
There's one for sale on another forum (am I allowed to say wood net). A little pricey, but maybe worth a look.

Jeff Ranck
06-08-2009, 3:24 PM
I'll hunt around. Thanks for the tip.

James Scheffler
06-08-2009, 6:18 PM
After reading several threads here and other places, I've been thinking of picking up a joiner, like a #7. However, I'm still a novice and so am not sure how to go about this.

I look on ebay and can find a few there that obviously need to be refurbished. I'm happy to go that route, but have no idea how much these things are worth.

I'd also consider picking up one from someone that is looking to sell.

So where do I go from here? Suggestions?

I have a No. 31 Stanley transitional jointer, which is 24 inches long. The transitional planes have wooden bodies, but the same type of blade and adjustment mechanism that are found the Bailey-type planes. They seem to go for less money than the all-metal planes, so it might be worth checking them out.

Good luck in your search!
Jim

Joel Goodman
06-08-2009, 6:41 PM
I bought a type 15 #7 from Sandy Moss http://www.sydnassloot.com and was happy with the purchase. I asked him to check the sole with a straight edge before I purchased. I added a thicker blade. It was a a little more than ebay but I had 0 headaches! If I hadn't been happy he would have taken it back.