PDA

View Full Version : Shop Air Compressor called the quits

Jeffrey Makiel
06-08-2009, 8:21 AM
My 3hp compressor called the quits yesterday. I have a little hot dog compressor, but I want to replace the larger unit for tools needing a higher air demand.

Any thoughts on the compressors shown below? They appear to be identical 3HP single stage units. They are easily attainable from Lowes or Home Depot, and will run on my existing 20A/230V circuit.

Any experience appreciated. Or perhaps recommendations of something better that runs on a 20A/230V circuit?

-Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/AirCompressor.jpg

Rob Slaughterbeck
06-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Not much to an air compressor to go wrong. Most likely the start capacitor on the motor went out. Easy and cheap fix. Worst case is you buy another 3HP motor. Seems like a waste to replace the tank and pump if they are in good condition still.

Rob

Ted Baca
06-08-2009, 1:42 PM
Rob is correct in what he states. If you can fix the on eyou have unless it is really old and the compressor unit itself is showing signs of wear. If you decide to fix it and keep it I would make the following suggestions. 1)Change the oil to synthetic and 2)add a piggyback tank for added volumn and storage which will help if you are using air tools.
Lastly if you want to replace and get a larger unit I would spend a few extra hundred dollars and get a DeVilbliss or a Quincy. Check with you local industrial supply houses and see if they have any scratch/dent specials. Not knowing your age but if you are less than 65yrs and want a "last buy" unit look for cast iron compressor pumps.

Chris Harry
06-08-2009, 2:00 PM
AFAIK both the compressors in the original post are the same. I went thru the same choice when buying mine. I ended up with the HD just because I liked red better :) and I had a 10% off coupon. Cast iron is nice, back when I bought it it was still made in the US.

Im sure there are a lot better compressors out there, but for the price I think the 2 listed here are hard to beat. They arent 2 stage monsters, but from my experience they work just fine. Just yesterday I painted almost 300' of molding with an HVLP gun hooked up to the Husky compressor. I never once lacked for air.....the pump cycled a bunch of times, but everything was able to keep up.

-Chris

Jeffrey Makiel
06-08-2009, 2:13 PM
The old (cheap) aluminum compressor head is shot. It was getting screamin' hot just after running a few minutes. It finally got too tight and cooked the second motor. It's a goner.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-08-2009, 2:45 PM
Chris...It seems like they are pretty much all the same...at least in specifications. The reviews offered by Amazon and others indicate they are OK.

Sears also sells a unit that looks identical to the Husky/CH/Maxus and it received an overwhelming amount of horrible reviews (blown head gaskets, burn-out, etc.). It makes me wonder. Maybe they are not all the same...at least internally?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/AirCompressor-1.jpg

Chris Harry
06-08-2009, 3:04 PM
I researched the Lowes vs HD model when I was looking. The Lowes model crossed back to Campbell model 6813, and the HD crossed back to 6814. They were in fact the same thing (per Campbell Hausfeld specs, parts, etc).

The others you show from Grizzly do look different. And I *almost* bought the PC model because of the extra SCFM. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably buy the PC (at the time I could only find someplace online which charged a ton of shipping cost).

Not sure if anyting has changed but my Husky has an Emerson motor and is pretty quiet. If they spec the same parts now as they did back then, and you wanted oen "in hand" instead of shipped, I wouldnt hesitate for the HD or Lowes models. The biggest thing is to go with an oil-lubed cast iron model if you can. Compressors are relatively simple and should last a loooong time with correct maintenance.

Steve Mostoller
06-08-2009, 6:08 PM
I have had the CH for at least 5 years and have not had any problems. Just remember to keep the tank drained and you should have no worries.

Bob Wingard
06-08-2009, 6:55 PM
Too bad yer' so far away .. .. I have an extra Quincy pump that would be perfect for your application.

Greg Bender
06-08-2009, 8:02 PM
Jeff,
If your gonna use that compressor for Air Tools and the HVLP gun I would buy The IR that is in the above post.Go with the cast iron cylinder,switch to Synthetic oil which will double the warranty.I work at IR here in North Carolina and while we only build 50 horse power and up at this location they are great units.I have the next model above it and it's quieter,makes a ton of air and will most likely outlive me.Look around,there are deals to be had.
Greg

James Manning
06-08-2009, 8:58 PM
I researched the Huskey & Kobalt but in the end I bought the IR from Tractor supply for 599 two weeks ago and love it. It is rated for 100% duty cycle, I do not think the other two are. This is my first big compressor and I do not know but I it seems to take longer than I thought it would to hit the cut-out pressure.

James Manning
06-08-2009, 9:06 PM
Jeff,
If your gonna use that compressor for Air Tools and the HVLP gun I would buy The IR that is in the above post.Go with the cast iron cylinder,switch to Synthetic oil which will double the warranty.I work at IR here in North Carolina and while we only build 50 horse power and up at this location they are great units.I have the next model above it and it's quieter,makes a ton of air and will most likely outlive me.Look around,there are deals to be had.
Greg

Hi Greg,

I have the IR model SS3L3, and I believe you have the SS5L5? Could you tell me how long yours takes to go from cut-in to cut-out with no load on it after it cuts in? Or maybe someone there at IR has a rough time estimate that my model should take to do this.

thanks,

James

Greg Bender
06-08-2009, 10:20 PM
James,
if I remember right that is a 135 psi unit like mine.I will check in work and see if that info is available.If I have to I will call Campbellsville and find out what it should be.Do you have any aux. storage tanks or long runs of tubing,they all will contribute to the charge cycle.
Greg

Jim Heffner
06-09-2009, 1:20 PM
Why not just buy a replacement compressor pump? It would be a lot cheaper than buying the entire unit. If you can, get a good quality pump to fit your tank, try and get a cast iron unit. It will outlast you if you keep oil in the crankcase. I have an old, old probably 50 or 60 year old cast iron Ingersol Rand horizontal compressor that still runs and pumps air like a champ! I had to replace the motor 3 or 4 years ago, but not a big deal.
Another good point to my old unit is I can be standing right against mine and carry on a conversation with someone and it doesn't make enough noise to barely be heard! Another good point to a cast iron unit is, it can
be rebuild like a small car motor, cylinders can be honed and new pistons and rings, etc. installed and then put back into service.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-09-2009, 2:21 PM
My broken compressor was a Sears unit. I know the compressor head (made from aluminum) is shot. I probably burned out the second motor too. It just ain't worth the time and cost to fool with it any further.

Given the array of new air compressors available, their relatively low cost, and the improved performance (capacity and noise), rebuilding does not seem economical to me. Beside, after I invest in a new head and new motor, I still have a tank that may have an internal corrosion thing going on that I don't see.

Here's a updated list of all the offerings in the 3HP, 60 gallon, single stage, cast iron units...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/AirCompressor-2.jpg

Larry Edgerton
06-09-2009, 2:32 PM
Why not just buy a replacement compressor pump? It would be a lot cheaper than buying the entire unit. .

I'll second that. The compressor at the shop I just sold has no original parts other than the tank. We replaced the compressor head with a nice cast aluminum, steel sleeved, two stage head unit that put out several times more air than we needed, and then when the old motor burned out replaced that with a new Baldor compressor duty motor. We have it pullyed to run at 60% speed and it has run an automotive center and a woodshop for many years. Check with McMaster Carr or Grainger.

I am moving my shop and am looking for a good price on a IR 2340L5 to my door. I like two stage myself. You have a lot more reserve because of the higher pressure, and the cycle time is faster.

Chip Lindley
06-09-2009, 5:00 PM
Depending on age, and maintainance, the receiver tank of your older compressor is cause for speculation. Rust sets in very slowly, weakening a tank. IF you were keen on keeping your tank drained (as many of us were NOT) a new pump IS cost-effective! Of course, your present motor must be in good condition.

I just installed an auto-drain on my like-new/Quincy/2-stage/60gal/5hp Baldor/$400/CraigsList Gloat. No more excuses not to keep the tank drained, Ever!

Greg Bender
06-09-2009, 6:32 PM
Larry,
well if you were alot closer I could help you on that L5 for sure.We have a helacious employee's store,Plus the R&D Center is right next store and they bring everybody's units in for testing.You would not believe the China based units and the problems that come up when you push the unit to it's limits.We keep the fire extinguishers charged!I had a Porter Cable unit before the IR unit and when I forgot to turn it off in my basement shop and it cycled in the middle of the night it would wake the dead.The IR unit can't be heard over normal noise in the kitchen up stairs.The other point to make is 10+cfm at 135 psi is alot of air for that size unit.I use an air powered sander on my turnings and very rarely have to stop and wait for air.
Greg

David G Baker
06-09-2009, 6:34 PM
I vote for Quincy, 2 stage if you can afford it. Duplicate Chip's set up and you will have a unit that will take care of 100% of your compressed air needs. Quincys are not cheap but in their case you will get what you pay for.

James Manning
06-09-2009, 10:03 PM
James,
if I remember right that is a 135 psi unit like mine.I will check in work and see if that info is available.If I have to I will call Campbellsville and find out what it should be.Do you have any aux. storage tanks or long runs of tubing,they all will contribute to the charge cycle.
Greg

Greg,

It is a 135 psi and I do not have any aux tanks, my shop is 24x32 and I have 1/2 copper pipe from one corner where compressor is down short wall and 90 deg turn then down the long wall. I have 5 drops along that run, by the doors and assembly table, work bench, lathe area, etc. I hope you can find that information that would be great, also you are right this IR is super quiet for a large 60 gal unit.

thanks

Rich Engelhardt
06-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Hello,
It's hard to go wrong with an IR.
Tractor Supply has reasonable prices on them also.

Dave Lehnert
06-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Too bad you are not from Cincinnati.
CH is located here and you can pick them up cheap at a recon outlet.

http://images.craigslist.org/3n23k83mdZZZZZZZZZ96757308825144917dc.jpghttp://images.craigslist.org/3m03o33l1ZZZZZZZZZ967dd56f9c4a6fa11f7.jpg

Larry Edgerton
06-10-2009, 6:55 AM
Too bad you are not from Cincinnati.
CH is located here and you can pick them up cheap at a recon outlet.

http://images.craigslist.org/3n23k83mdZZZZZZZZZ96757308825144917dc.jpghttp://images.craigslist.org/3m03o33l1ZZZZZZZZZ967dd56f9c4a6fa11f7.jpg

Or..... You could look at it as exactly what it is. A warehouse full of Chinese failures.....

James Gillespie, Jr.
06-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Going back to the original two units, they are basically identical except for the color and the warranty. Lowes has a 1 year, HD has a 4 year, so the HD unit is a better deal.

I recently bought the HD unit, got it for ~$370 during their Power Tool Days promotion. Knocked $70 off the price, making it even more of a no brainer. Hardest part was finding a HD that had one with all of the manuals, warranty card, air filter, oil breather, etc still on the unit. Had to visit 4 HD's before I found a complete unit.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-10-2009, 3:46 PM
I just checked out a 3hp Campbell Hausfeld at Lowes. It has a USA made Emerson motor. I was unable to find the origin of the compressor and tank because I was unable to get access to all sides of the unit. I noticed that the pressure switch was SquareD.

The reviews on various websites, as well as folks in this post, seem to have no problems with the CH and Husky brands. The IR units are well liked also, but there are no convenient retailers in my area.

Quincy units require that I install a new electrical circuit. They appear to cater more to the commercial market. Also, I can't justify the cost of a Quincy for my hobby needs.

All in all, the CFM rating of the CH/Husky matches the old CFM rating of my burned out air compressor which was adequate for my hobby needs. I leaning towards getting it from either Lowes or Home Depot. It's just too darn convenient because I don't have to fuss with mailorder shipping issues (no Tractor Supply by me). It's also pretty darn inexpensive. Lastly, I like the idea that all I have to do is attach a corded plug to the onboard power switch and just plug it into my existing wall receptacle.

Greg Bender
06-10-2009, 9:25 PM
James,
It doesn't sound like you are filling alot of tubing so your recharge time should be near stand alone time.By the way,do you have your drops stubbed at the bottom so you can drain them.Humidity here and in Georgia can be brutal.I could not find an answer to your question but the lab guys are looking into it.On another level,we finished a 200 horse power ,2 stage unit that puts out over 1180 cfm at 155 psi.Friday we have a 350 hp unit with 1866 cfm at 145 psi.That will blow an HVLP gun!
Jeff,
if your needs are met with a locally bought unit your much better off but make sure you keep up with the maintenance and it should last a long time.Corrosion is the thing that kills compressors,water will find its way into anything.
Greg

Mike Thomas
06-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Jeff, I will give you my two cents worth. If you haven't already made a purchase you may want to consider several things. Having the Husky for about 8 years now it is an ok compressor. It will run most all of your air tools, painting needs, etc. What it won't do is run a sand blaster or a high volume air tool like a DA sander. I am currently looking for a larger used compressor to replace mine because it just won't deliver the air I need and mine is strictly a hobby situation. If I had it all to do over I would definately buy a two stage compressor. Much more air, typically quieter, more efficient and they are typically a better quality product. Lastly I would be looking for a continuous duty compressor. I don't know about your situation but there are many times when I have to stop what I am doing to let the compressor cool down. Good luck.

Mike