PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Ford F-150

Dave Lehnert
06-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Just thought I would share my experience with a 1997 F-150 V6. In case you are looking for a used truck or happen to own one now.

I purchased a 1997 Ford F-150 new. Since day one I lost coolant. Had it back to the dealer many times. Nothing found.
The leak was small so I figured I would top off the overflow every two months or so.
Long story short the 1997 V6 F-150 has a major flaw with a coolant leak.
It leaks into the number one cylinder and destroys the engine between 75,000-80,000. You can find them on Craig's list and the bay with blown engines.
I called one shop and said "I want an estimate for a new engine for an F-150" The guy on the phone said "you must have a 97 V6?"
Talking to a guy at an auto parts store who also worked for a Ford dealer. Said I had to put in a new engine in my F-150. He also said "must be a 97"
So it is a know problem. In doing some research on the web looks like it was a problem with the ones that left the factory early that year. My truck was made in Feb. 1997.

Hope this helps someone.

PS- A new Jasper engine installed is $3,800. Belive me. I know first hand:(

Ed Bamba
06-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Dave sorry to hear about your experience. It really looks bad on Ford's part not take care of the problem. If you haven't already been there, check out ford-trucks.com, lots of info shared on their forums.

Joe Pelonio
06-08-2009, 7:57 AM
I wonder if that's the same V6 that was in the '96 Explorer? I had one of those, and at about 90k miles the check engine light came on. Turned out to
be a coolant leak into one of the cylinders, but caught it in time so that only a replacement head was needed, but that was still $1,800. Just 3 days later the new head sucked a valve, that was a sound I'll never forget, but then I got a new Ford engine installed by the dealer free (well, I guess for $1,800).:rolleyes:

Dusty Fuller
06-08-2009, 9:01 AM
I drive one every day as a work vehicle... 178,000 miles and on its second engine. Same thing probably happened to it as happened to yours. The previous driver wasn't exactly easy on it either, or at least the suspension tell me so. For some reason my department has a love affair with Ford trucks with V6's. They'll never learn.

Al Willits
06-08-2009, 9:14 AM
Its my understanding Ford had a recall on this engine, are you the original owner?

Quite possibly you never received this notice for what ever reason maybe?

Al

Jim O'Dell
06-08-2009, 9:49 AM
If that is the 3.8 V-6, yes there was a recall. I made a lot of money on that recall. Started in the early 80s IIRC. Surprised you didn't get a notice. Some were repairs, some the damage was already done, and the engines replaced. I saw mostly Lincolns where I worked, but that engine was used in a lot of Ford's vehicles. Jim.

Jason Roehl
06-08-2009, 10:04 AM
I wonder if that's the same V6 that was in the '96 Explorer? I had one of those, and at about 90k miles the check engine light came on. Turned out to
be a coolant leak into one of the cylinders, but caught it in time so that only a replacement head was needed, but that was still $1,800. Just 3 days later the new head sucked a valve, that was a sound I'll never forget, but then I got a new Ford engine installed by the dealer free (well, I guess for $1,800).:rolleyes:

If that is the 3.8 V-6, yes there was a recall. I made a lot of money on that recall. Started in the early 80s IIRC. Surprised you didn't get a notice. Some were repairs, some the damage was already done, and the engines replaced. I saw mostly Lincolns where I worked, but that engine was used in a lot of Ford's vehicles. Jim.

Not likely, and nope. The V6 that went in the '97+ F150s was a 4.2L, AFAIK, the 4.2L V6 never made it into the Explorer, only the 3.0 and 4.slow V6s. My friend once had an E150 cargo van with the 4.2. I drove it home from Cincinnati one time. Talk about an undersized engine...with strong winds, that was one scary trip.

The 3.8L V6 was a headache for Ford from the get-go, as they sold many of them in Tauruses (Taurii?) and Sables in the very late '80s into the mid-'90s.

According to Wikipedia, the two engines are of the same lineage, though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Essex_V6_engine_(Canadian)

Ken Garlock
06-08-2009, 11:08 AM
I have owned multiple Ford products over the years, and have never had a major problem with any of them. I currently own a 95' F-150 with a V8 that thinks gasoline is the nectar of the gods. But, I drive it very little, primarily to the wood store.:)

As much as you like or dislike Fords, just remember that Ford is a going concern, and not owned by the government due to bad, arrogant management. :(

Ed Bamba
06-08-2009, 1:05 PM
I'm sure there was some corporate reason to go with the modular engines, but they shouldn't have. My 91 F150, 5.0 V8 has over 200K, and that's with a oil-change-when-I-get-around-to-it mentality. She has some mechanical issues that I need to tend to. Hope to do a major refurb in the future and drive her another 200K.

Steve Clardy
06-08-2009, 2:29 PM
We owned a 97 with the V-6.
Good mileage, lots of power for a V-6.

Around 80,000 it went to leaking coolant and it never showed leakage on the outside.
One morning after starting it in cold weather, I cold smell antifreeze in the exhaust.
It had a slight miss till it warmed up. I went and traded it for a 98 lariat with a 6.2