PDA

View Full Version : ryobi planer

paul wiser
06-07-2009, 10:20 PM
anybody hhave any feedback on ryobi planers?? am on a budget, but need a planer. any info appreciated. thanks

Craig Hemsath
06-07-2009, 10:57 PM
I'd either a.) save another month or two and get either a Dewalt or Rigid planer. Or shop around, & can probably find a Dewalt or Rigid used somewhere. I just don't think you'll be very happy with the Ryobi.

scott spencer
06-08-2009, 1:18 AM
The more recent AP1301 doesn't have a cutterhead lock to reduce snipe, so it's more prone to snipe than the former AP1300 and others that have a way to prevent the cutterhead from moving.

Loren Hedahl
06-08-2009, 9:57 AM
I bought an old 10 inch Ryobi from my neighbor when he upgraded to a DeWalt five-six years ago. It came with several knife sets that are re-sharpenable. I've used it a lot and it just keeps on planing!

It snipes quite significantly, but once I get my rough boards planed down smooth, then when getting down to my final thickness I am careful to put them through end-to-end with a short sacrificial piece before the first board and after the last.

I batch my jobs as much as possible so everything is set up for a session of planing. I also have four stands (you could use roller stands, but I prefer the ones HD sells with the flat tilting top) to get the pieces oriented and elevated just right.

This has worked well enough that I have had no urge to replace the old Ryobi. If I did, I think I would also strongly consider a Makita or a Delta. I think there are a lot of nice units available.

Jim Rimmer
06-08-2009, 12:53 PM
The more recent AP1301 doesn't have a cutterhead lock to reduce snipe, so it's more prone to snipe than the former AP1300 and others that have a way to prevent the cutterhead from moving.

I bought an AP1301 on eBay. It works OK as I am a hobbyist and don't overwork it. It does have a snipe problem, though. I guess it depends a lot on the amount you are going to use it.

Kyle Iwamoto
06-08-2009, 2:47 PM
Craigslist? I'd also (and have been) watching CL for a good used deal. I'm not in a hurry, so I can wait. I'd also been waiting for a DeWalt or Ridgid. Depending on the model, they are 3 blade cutters.

That being said, the Ryobi 1301 did get the best value award for a 200 buck planer from the 2009 tool guide.

Mike Monroe
06-08-2009, 4:47 PM
I have an AP12 that I've been using for years. Snipes a little, but nothing that can't be sanded out easily. It uses the two sided disposable blades. It's a solid little machine. Burned the belt out of it once, which was a bear to replace. Don't know about the newer planers though. I've had good luck with my Ryobi planer, but for the belt incident which was my fault.

paul wiser
06-08-2009, 11:02 PM
thanks for everyones input. very much appreciated

Jim Finn
06-09-2009, 10:54 PM
I have had good luck with mine also. I did change out the bolts that hold the blades in place though. I have had it 6 years and have used it a lot. Still going strong and little snipe.