PDA

View Full Version : storage rack for wood

Robert Ducharme
08-19-2004, 10:31 PM
I have now started my storage racks for wood boards and sheet stock. I was originally thinking of cross supports every 2 feet. However, I do have enough material and wonder if I should make the cross supports every 18 inches or something else. Cutting starts tomorrow so early advice would be appreciated. Between the supports would be pieces of wood to act as a surface.

Jim Becker
08-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Two feet is sufficient, but closer isn't a horrible thing, especially when you're stacking up things of indeterminant length. My rack is at 24", but sometimes I wish for 18" or even 16"!

Byron Trantham
08-20-2004, 4:16 PM
Here's an idea I copied from one of the posters. I haven't built it yet but it will sure work for me. :)

David Rose
08-20-2004, 9:49 PM
Robert,

I went 16" on my board rack. If you want to sticker wood as it comes in to normalize to your shop's humidity, I would go no farther apart than that. If you have a "surface" on which to sticker, that would not matter as much, but it is still nice to have the bottom open to not have to sticker that. Often I have to add a board even with the 16" for closer support and sticker short pieces on that. But I am hyper about stickering so... :D

David

I have now started my storage racks for wood boards and sheet stock. I was originally thinking of cross supports every 2 feet. However, I do have enough material and wonder if I should make the cross supports every 18 inches or something else. Cutting starts tomorrow so early advice would be appreciated. Between the supports would be pieces of wood to act as a surface.

Thomas Canfield
08-21-2004, 8:59 PM
The pictures are early ones and do not show some of the details I would like, but the camera is in for reprogramming.

My shop walls are finished, and I built a 2x4 frame 10' high by about 9' wide with uprights for supports every 20" or so to stay off the studs and allow attaching the horizontal members of the frame to the studs. I made the "L" brackets for supports out of leftover smartpanel wall board and 2x4's. I was concerned about the 4" lost space, and then decided to add the plywood underneath that make mini shelves that is handy for all sorts of items, and still being determined. I added a clip to the lower sections and use the space inside the frame to store short wood pieces, dowels, and etc.

The swinging plywood storage came from an article in Handyman magazine about 3 years ago. It uses 2x6 as width for the two sections, one being full 4'x8' and the other side about 5' long with smaller sections for vertical storage of short lumber. It swings out for access to remove the full sheets of plywood and gain access to the wall behind.