PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Reeves Drive on Jet 1442

John Altberg
06-07-2009, 9:19 PM
I have a fairly new Jet 1442. Recently I have noticed that the speed will not stay set at the lower end. At 450 it immediately slides to 600; from there it gradually slides up to 1100 under load. Beyond 1100, things stay in place. Any suggestions on how to remedy this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

John

ROY DICK
06-07-2009, 9:24 PM
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/ Contact these people.

Roy

Tony Kahn
06-07-2009, 9:53 PM
Try cleaning the reaves drive out, gunk built up can cause it to move up like that

Dick Strauss
06-08-2009, 8:07 AM
John,
The 1442 uses a spring loaded pin system to keep the speed engaged. When you pull the speed change handle slightly out, you are releasing the pin.

Does your handle slide in and out and rotate by itself? If so, your handle set screw has come loose. You will need to open the belt assembly cover and push the short speed change shaft end from the back while pushing the handle in from the outside while tightening the set screw (three things at once). It works best if you have one person push the two ends together while the other tightens the screw.

If your handle is staying locked at the same position but the speed changes anyway, the set screw may still be loose. You may have had something like the reeves drive stop collar set screw (top left inside cover) that has come loose inside the cover as well.

Another vote for calling WMH...they should be able to help you fix the issue.

Bill Bolen
06-08-2009, 3:07 PM
That has happened to me twice and Dick nailed the answer...Bill..

robert hainstock
06-08-2009, 3:13 PM
Some times the spring loaded pulley sticks open, so the belt just walks back up the (actually down) pulley. With the cover off the belt take a look at the spring pulley and see where it is at. You also might turn it on and see what when you operate the speed change handle. :eek::)
Bob

John Altberg
06-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks for your input. I took the handle off and found that the pin is bent and all of the indexing holes are stripped out. The previous owner must have never pulled the handle out to change speeds! I will call WMH to see how much the replacement parts are.

John

Dick Strauss
06-09-2009, 9:57 AM
I'm glad you found the problem!

My Delta 1440 uses a hard plastic stop plate that isn't even as robust as the Jet system IMHO.

FYI for Jet 1442 owners...You may consider replacing the cupped set screw (that holds the speed selector handle) with a flat ended one if you have issues with the handle coming loose. IMO the flat headed one provides better clamping power without galling the central shaft.