PDA

View Full Version : Neeeda Laser

william kaminsky
06-07-2009, 8:50 PM
I neeeda laser

I have been using the laser services of a friend across town to do what little cutting of wood, ruber and plastic slabs may need here. He has now for a number of years been trying to retire, as he is past 70 YO now. His kids have little interest into the business and he does not want partners.

So, to continue my activites, my volume is so low, I need like a Used laser to cut out parts (as I have been doing since 1995). I use Autocad, and have zero need nor interest into doing "engraving" as am just in to Cutting right now.

I have this year already talked to and got a demo on several new machines. Local and distant. But the salesmen are in to etching mainly. When I mention cutting only, they say "Sure, our machine will handle such..."

I have seen their work, and that as they say is done via Pulse Mode, has a rather wide kerf. At each of the demos, their's sort of cuts like a hacksaw would. Instead of cutting a nice .003-4" wide slot, it comes out .012" to .015" wide. Well, well, now you just have to move your lines over a bit (they have no automatic offset function). Well, for me this then doubles or tripples the work ahead. I have to then make up special files for Acad cutting purposes. One fellow mentioned to me that iffn' I was to buy a constant beam unit, the kerf problems would be gone. Thus I would assume I need both systems.

Easiest way to earn a dollar is to save a dollar. I got two locals lined up that have CNC shops and can do my work for the going hourly rate. Which they are cheaper than Modern shops. Only thing is these guys due to (more) imminent retirement, are working in a Window 95/98 operating environment. I tried handing them information on a later disk, and it instantly says Duhh, or Disk blank, want to format now? Thus I need a laser cutting system that will work within Window 98. Most everyone I see today only uses the latest and greatest operating system. Going to a later operating system is OK here, but then I have to go from a shop who charges $75 per hour to one that charges $150 per hour. I am all set up here for 98 and want to stay that way. The salesmen say, latest is the greatest. Convert....

I am not really ready to retire yet, do not want to learn a whole new operation, charge more to cover my costs in giving to the pirates.

I have gone to three web sites now offering to sell used laser cutting equipment. Some have broken down stuff, that runs OK, but was upgraded, weak in Watts, or they cannot guarantee accuracy of cutting (due to wobble of head), or one has a head that needs re-charging but first need to locate a firm who can handle some 20 year old obsolete equipment by Cohearant. I am guessing that need what looks to be 60 watt power and a moving vacuum table to hold up to 48 inch wood slabs. Overhang is OK. I do not want one of the sandy-dandy huge machines they use for cutting big slabs of steel.

Can you refer me to a few web sites or dealers in the Los Angeles area that handle obsolete equipment, so can take a look or ask questions?

Wm.

Joe Pelonio
06-07-2009, 9:52 PM
While I understand your situation the laser is one machine where obsolete equipment is asking for trouble unless you are a technical geek type. Especially with windows 98, where no one from Microsoft to the laser manufacturers and everyone else (most of us) will be unable to provide support. If you decide that buying the retiree's machine is the best option, at least contact the manufacturer to see how long they will stock parts. You'd be surprised at how one little part can cost you a lot in lost time, jobs, and even customers if it's not replaced quickly!

You might also ask about the cnc zone forum where there are people making their own laser systems.

Tom Bull
06-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Sounds to me like your best bet would be to find someone else to do the work, perhaps you could find someone else to do that work for you, or what about your former suppliers equip, could you get it from him if he is going out of biz?

Rodne Gold
06-08-2009, 4:04 AM
60 watts doesnt sound like it will cut slabs of wood to me.
Kerf width will always be a problem with a laser as the beam is shaped like an hourglass with the thinnest section at the point of focus so thick stuff will be problematic. All our type of lassers cut by treppaning (drilling a series of holes that act like closely spaced perforations)
Why don't you make the guy thats doing your work now an offer for his machinery.
You must also consider the fact of whether a laser is the right tool for your stuff , if you can use a CnC machine , a shopbot or the like may be a better bet? If you do go CnC most of the drivers and design programs will allow tool diameter compensation.
Win 98 is problematic as most of us that own expensive equipment want to take advantage of the latest drivers and their enhanced functions...most machine mnfgrs have abandoned 98 some years ago

william kaminsky
06-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Actually, the present owner has been trying to retire for MORE than one year now. He first let me know about two years ago of his predicament. About once per month he gets a telephone call from some competitor asking if he would like to buy them out at some terribly inflated price. You would have to promote and sell exclusively "their" items for next thirty years to break even on the sale.

He absolutely will not sell the company, says his reputation and the name used will then go south. Wants the quality ane title to die when he does. He cannot get any of his kids interested, and thus is only a matter of time before the cheap option I once had is gone.

His laser is presently cutting at 110-120 watts of power. The present owner likes to turn it all the way up and cut out things in 1.75 minutes (and letting the ways bang around) instead of two fulle minutes each, as it proves his cutting is faster overall. I only need 60 watts or maybe less, for I can afford to spend the extra 1/4 minute instead of driving across own to use his for free. As mentioned here, I have cut using 35 watts, but it takes considerably more time and the results are poor.

Mainly I need to get cutting NOW, for the free source is going to dry up soon. He may just close up the shop unannounced one afternoon and let the dust gather. Never turning anything on again. He can now afford to eat the profits and waste of materials due to retirement. His eyesight isn't getting too good anymore also.

Thus I need to get going now, or forget this routine in about one year. Time in laser cutting is relatively short in comparision to income.

Wm.

David Fairfield
06-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I tried reading your posts, but they are rambling and very hard to follow. Pirates...driving across town...free source...retired guy... Most of your posts have absolutely nothing to do with the things we might be able to help you with. :confused:

What is your application and what is your budget?

Dave

william kaminsky
06-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Dave...

Probably mentioned too much already. Would be faster here for me to locate a used equipment place in the Los Angeles area that deals in such, and talk to their salesman. Had one located in Corona, but he got his telephone yanked out due to non-payment. Then he moved.

Wm.

Mike Null
06-10-2009, 1:07 AM
We have a member in LA by the name of Mike Mackenzie. It's CEM Lasers or engraving. Look him up.

Frank Corker
06-10-2009, 6:31 AM
I tried reading your posts, but they are rambling and very hard to follow. Pirates...driving across town...free source...retired guy... Most of your posts have absolutely nothing to do with the things we might be able to help you with. :confused:

What is your application and what is your budget?

Dave

LOL I don't think he is actually listening to you Dave

william kaminsky
06-10-2009, 10:57 AM
We have a member in LA by the name of Mike Mackenzie. It's CEM Lasers or engraving. Look him up.

I have received a PM from him like yesterday. Am not always here you see. We are to speak later in week on what he has available right now.

Wm.