PDA

View Full Version : how to degloss waterlox

Dan Hanson
06-07-2009, 6:52 PM
I used 6 coats of the original medium sheen waterlox sealer/finishon cherry. Its has a little too much sheen for my and my wifes taste. Is there a way I can cut it down without buying a quart of there low sheen product?

Scott Holmes
06-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Let it cure for 3-4 weeks, then rub-out the finish with 4/0000 steelwool.

If you want in with a bit more gloss than the steel wool you can buff it all the way back to gloss. Stop when you're happy.

Dan Hanson
06-15-2009, 6:11 PM
OK is 4/0000 different than 0000? thats what I remember seeing last time I looked at steel wool. What do you use to buff it back up if its too dull?
Thanks
Dan

Matt Tawes
06-15-2009, 6:45 PM
0000 same as what your used to. Waterlox does ideed get glossy with 6 coats. If you want to buff it to gloss you could use any of the popular polishes (Menzerna is popular). I actually just use any of the 3M or Meguiars auto polish products like Scratch-X, works great.

Dan Hanson
06-15-2009, 7:28 PM
Hmm when he said I could buff it back up I was thinking buffing the existing finish, not putting a topical wax etc. I wouldnt want to change the finish chemically so that I could keep the ability to add another coat someday without stripping or wondering if the new coat would stick to a wax.

Matt Tawes
06-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Hmm when he said I could buff it back up I was thinking buffing the existing finish, not putting a topical wax etc. I wouldnt want to change the finish chemically so that I could keep the ability to add another coat someday without stripping or wondering if the new coat would stick to a wax.

No I think you misunderstood, polishes like Menzerna, 3M etc. (commonly used for buffing finishes same as pumice or rotten stone) I referred to are just that, paste polishes (mild abrasive compounds) not wax for buffing the finish to achieve a desired lustre or gloss they don't leave anything behind behind like wax, besides a quick wipe with denatured alcohol removes any residue. This was if you decided to buff it back to semi-gloss without applying further coats. Steel wool should give you a nice satin finish, just dont overwork it or it will become flat.