View Full Version : Tx. Bbq

Steve Jenkins
08-19-2004, 9:40 PM
this is to give an update on at least one aspect of our upcoming BBQ.

I mentioned in another thread that I'd have a Festool rail system and wondered if anyone had a Eurekazone they could bring.

Well,I will definately have one of the Eurekazone systems here at the BBQ. We will be able to compare two rail systems and the slider.

From what I have seen so far, for the "typical" small shop a rail system would increase safety, accuracy, and ease of handling panel products. At this point I'm referring to managing the panels down to a size where you have the option of either continuing with the rail system or going to the table saw. We can also see how they work with solid stock.

When we actually have the chance to use them in various ways we will all have a better feeling for the capabilities and possibilities.

I'm always interested in innovations in the shop and seeing what is possible.
I'll have a few sheets of mdf (it's cheap), probably 1/2" ( it's lighter than 3/4),so we'll have lots of stuff to cut up. I'll also have some veneered ply to see the quality of the cuts.
Should be a very interesting and informative session and everyone that wants to give any of them a try will be able to.
Steve

Chris Padilla
08-20-2004, 1:25 PM
Sounds good, Steve. Be sure copious pictures are taken!! :)

Dennis Peacock
08-20-2004, 1:28 PM
Not too worry Chris.....I'll have my Canon Rebel Digital SLR there to take plenty of pics and will get them posted upon return. :D

Waymon Campbell
08-20-2004, 9:42 PM
Not too worry Chris.....I'll have my Canon Rebel Digital SLR there to take plenty of pics and will get them posted upon return. :D

Dennis - We're going to have a real Texas Shootout (digital SLR shootout, that is :D ). I just "pulled the trigger", or is it "snapped the shutter", on a Nikon D70 (stealth gloat :) ). It should be here next week...

Dino Makropoulos
08-22-2004, 11:00 AM

When we actually have the chance to use them in various ways we will all have a better feeling for the capabilities and possibilities.

I'll have a few sheets of mdf (it's cheap), probably 1/2" ( it's lighter than 3/4),so we'll have lots of stuff to cut up. I'll also have some veneered ply to see the quality of the cuts.
Should be a very interesting and informative session and everyone that wants to give any of them a try will be able to.
Steve

Get some more wood Steve. I be there too.
As I stated in another post...Enough talk.talk.and more talk.
Have the rules and the tasks ready and I will combine
both systems VS All other traditional tools...and the tablesaw mentality.
See you in Texas.

James Carmichael
08-22-2004, 3:59 PM

I mentioned in another thread that I'd have a Festool rail system and wondered if anyone had a Eurekazone they could bring.

Well,I will definately have one of the Eurekazone systems here at the BBQ. We will be able to compare two rail systems and the slider.

From what I have seen so far, for the "typical" small shop a rail system would increase safety, accuracy, and ease of handling panel products. At this point I'm referring to managing the panels down to a size where you have the option of either continuing with the rail system or going to the table saw. We can also see how they work with solid stock.

Steve

Looking forward to seeing that, Steve, I'd love to find a decent solution for sheet goods (of course, a real/bigger shop would help!).

Hey when is the BBQ, anyway? I need to mark my calendar. If it's a Saturday, you'll probably get to meet my #1 helper, son Ian, as LOML teaches nursing students on Sat.

Steve Jenkins
08-22-2004, 4:12 PM
The BBQ is the weekend of Oct. 23 and 24. The dinner will be on Sat. 23rd. That is also when the demos and most of the people are here. If you want to come by Fri. you might get roped into helping get things straightened up and Sunday there will be more time to play with stuff without as many people around. Steve

Steve Jenkins
08-22-2004, 5:36 PM
Get some more wood Steve. I be there too.
See you in Texas.

Looking forward to it Dino. I'll have plenty of stuff to cut. Mostly panel stock but some solid too.
I guess I should get some of that 4x8x2" thick styrofoam. Where do I go to get it?
Anyone have a good circular saw? I'll have to check mine, the last thing I cut with it was a patio's worth of pavers. Reminds me I need to get Chico's WWII back to Sophie. Steve

Dennis Peacock
08-22-2004, 5:38 PM
I'll bring my DeWalt skillsaw....it pretty good.

Dennis Peacock
08-22-2004, 5:41 PM
Dennis - We're going to have a real Texas Shootout (digital SLR shootout, that is :D ). I just "pulled the trigger", or is it "snapped the shutter", on a Nikon D70 (stealth gloat :) ). It should be here next week...

<b>Woo-Hoo!!!!! Brang it on good buddy!!!!!</b> :p ;)

I'll call your draw. Digital SLR's at 15 paces!!!! :eek: Now, draw and snap!! :D

Steve Jenkins
08-22-2004, 5:44 PM
<b>Woo-Hoo!!!!! Brang it on good buddy!!!!! ............ Now, draw and snap!! :D

Is that anything like the "bend and snap"? You devil you. :>)
Just saw legally blond for the umpteenth time with a little one. Steve

Dino Makropoulos
10-05-2004, 9:48 PM
Looking forward to it Dino. I'll have plenty of stuff to cut. Mostly panel stock but some solid too.
I guess I should get some of that 4x8x2" thick styrofoam. Where do I go to get it?
Anyone have a good circular saw? I'll have to check mine, the last thing I cut with it was a patio's worth of pavers. Reminds me I need to get Chico's WWII back to Sophie. Steve
Hi Steve.
What other tools you got in your shop?
I know you have a sliding table saw.What about jointer-radial arm saw-tapered jigs-Straight line rip jigs-router table-chop saw?
Can you give me a tool list?
YCF Dino

Jim Becker
10-05-2004, 11:05 PM
I know you have a sliding table saw.What about jointer-radial arm saw-tapered jigs-Straight line rip jigs-router table-chop saw? You name it...Steve has it. All pro stuff, too. He also knows how to use those tools to create amazing furniture.

'Wish I could be there for this one...but I couldn't get an engagement in the area that week...it's a long walk from those I have in New Jersey during that period of time.

Dino Makropoulos
10-05-2004, 11:36 PM
'Wish I could be there for this one...but I couldn't get an engagement in the area that week...it's a long walk from those I have in New Jersey during that period of time.
I will try to go there Jim. I like to test the theory of the Dead wood concept and the more tools and more woodworkers the better.
But If I can't make it I will put on my Texas hat and have my NJ Bbq.
Stop over some time.
YCF Dino

Kelly C. Hanna
10-05-2004, 11:49 PM
I have a PC left blade I can bring, but I'll bet someone has a Festool layin' around...:)

Kelly C. Hanna
10-05-2004, 11:52 PM
Nice camera score Waymon! Between the three of us we have Canon, Olympus and Nikon covered...that should net us a few good pics huh?

Dennis Peacock
10-06-2004, 1:01 AM
Hi Steve.
I know you have a sliding table saw.What about jointer-radial arm saw-tapered jigs-Straight line rip jigs-router table-chop saw?
Can you give me a tool list?
YCF Dino

Hey Dino,

You gonna provide us with a Eurekazone GuideRail setup? I would like to see it up close and personal and have time to try it out.

Steve Jenkins
10-06-2004, 6:11 AM
Hey Dino,

You gonna provide us with a Eurekazone GuideRail setup? I would like to see it up close and personal and have time to try it out.

Dennis, that's the plan. He is going to ship me one a few days early and then be here to show it off. I'm really looking forward to that.

As for machinery I have an Altendorf 10' slider, Oliver 16" jointer circa 1949, Felder 20" planer, 10hp tilting shaper,20" disk sander,9" spindle sander,Legacy,spray equipment with booth, and of course routers,clamps, handtools and stuff. My really old radial arm saw is strictly used for cutoff. I've never tried to set it up for precise cuts. Steve

Dino Makropoulos
10-06-2004, 6:48 AM
I have a PC left blade I can bring, but I'll bet someone has a Festool layin' around...:)
Hi Kelly
I will never touch a left bladed saw.
Why have the blade close to you when you can just move the cutting line.
Same time-safer and better cut.If the Festool is right bladed then I use Festool...)
YCf Dino

Dino Makropoulos
10-06-2004, 7:09 AM
Hey Dino,

Hey dennis.
I will send the EZ Smart setup with the new Smart Table and few other Jigs.
And i will have an extra base for whatever else is laying around.
My goal is to find a better way and the more tools and choises the better.
And i will not try to be part of any tests or reviews of the two systems.
Corona VS heineiken for me maybee time well spend in Texas.
I need a brake too.
YCf Dino

Kelly C. Hanna
10-06-2004, 8:44 AM
That's cool, I am the opposite of you. I am not a fan of right blade saws because I learned to use a mag77 first and prefer to see the blade while cutting. I can use the right blade with my left hand and see the blade, but I am not nearly as accurate that way.

PS. I consider neither saw design a safety risk.

Dennis Peacock
10-06-2004, 9:03 AM
Hi Kelly
I will never touch a left bladed saw.
Why have the blade close to you when you can just move the cutting line.
Same time-safer and better cut.If the Festool is right bladed then I use Festool...)
YCf Dino

Dino,

The Festool saw is RighBladed. So is my DeWalt saw! ;) :D

Dennis Peacock
10-06-2004, 9:05 AM
I need a brake too.
YCf Dino

He-he-he.....Maybe that would be the best time ever had for an evaluation.! :D Looking forward to seeing the EZone setup and meeting with you in Texas.

JayStPeter
10-06-2004, 9:19 AM
I need a brake too.
YCf Dino

Hmmmm, what are the rules? Do you allow limes in this contest? ;) :D

Jay

Terry Hatfield
10-07-2004, 7:54 PM
Steve,

Sounds GREAT!!! I can't wait to see the shootout...both the guide systems and the cameras. :D

I can't wait to see your shop either.

Terry

Chris Padilla
10-07-2004, 8:19 PM
Steve,

Any of the borgs will carry this. I love it, my piece finally fell apart after 3 years of using it under sheet goods for support and cutting.

Man, this gathering might rival Mr. Hatfield's suarez!! I do hope LOTS of pics are taken. LOTS! :D Hmmm, plane ticket to DFW isn't too bad out of San Jose.... :D :D

Kelly C. Hanna
10-07-2004, 11:38 PM
Come on down Chris...the weather is perfect!!

Steve Jenkins
10-08-2004, 8:42 AM
I'll be looking for you Chris. I think you should hop a plane and come by. I mean if you can make yourself go to AR. then TX should be a snap.:>)Kdding Kidding you gotta rember I still consider myself to be from WA.
Speaking of WA. I talked to Sophie yesterday and he said he can't make it this year. I'm really sorry to hear that BUT he also said that there is a Forest WWII blade at the local woodcraft with my name on it to give away at the BBQ. THANKS SOPHIE.
Can't believe how close it's geting top the 23rd. Hope I can get the shop cleaned up at least a little. Steve

Dino Makropoulos
10-09-2004, 12:15 PM
That's cool, I am the opposite of you. I am not a fan of right blade saws because I learned to use a mag77 first and prefer to see the blade while cutting. I can use the right blade with my left hand and see the blade, but I am not nearly as accurate that way.

PS. I consider neither saw design a safety risk.
Hi Kelly.
Make sure you have the left bladed saw with you.
I think it will be a good time to test the accuracy,ease of use,and safety of
Right VS Left.
YCF Dino

Dino Makropoulos
10-09-2004, 1:07 PM
Dennis, that's the plan. He is going to ship me one a few days early and then be here to show it off. I'm really looking forward to that.

As for machinery I have an Altendorf 10' slider, Oliver 16" jointer circa 1949, Felder 20" planer, 10hp tilting shaper,20" disk sander,9" spindle sander,Legacy,spray equipment with booth, and of course routers,clamps, handtools and stuff. My really old radial arm saw is strictly used for cutoff. I've never tried to set it up for precise cuts. Steve
Hi Steve.
Any video cameras laying around your shop? :rolleyes:
I like to videotape few cuts for our vocational schools.
See You.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-09-2004, 2:13 PM
Will do Dino.

Todd Burch
10-09-2004, 5:04 PM
Dino, I'm going to bring the smart base with me to Dallas. I won it a few months ago in your giveaway, and while I have 3 circular saws, (A festool, a left-handed Sears 5 1/2" and a Skil77, it won't fit any of them. So, you can have it back or award it to someone who can use it. Thanks for your generosity.

Todd

Dennis Peacock
10-09-2004, 7:13 PM
Dino, I'm going to bring the smart base with me to Dallas. I won it a few months ago in your giveaway, and while I have 3 circular saws, (A festool, a left-handed Sears 5 1/2" and a Skil77, it won't fit any of them. So, you can have it back or award it to someone who can use it. Thanks for your generosity.

Todd

Maybe it will fit my DeWalt Circular Saw.!!! :D

Kelly C. Hanna
10-09-2004, 9:17 PM
If one fits my PC leftie, I'm buyin' it!

Dino Makropoulos
10-09-2004, 9:55 PM
If one fits my PC leftie, I'm buyin' it!
Hi Kelly.
If you can make few cuts with your left bladed saw (better-faster- easier and safer) than any right bladed saw...then I will custom made a left Smart base for you that you can use it with a free guide system. :D
See you. :cool:
YCF Dino

Woodworking, Hot Rods, Classic Rock and a great Wife....is there anything I am missing???

A right blade saw? :rolleyes:

Kelly C. Hanna
10-10-2004, 8:07 AM
Dino,

While that is a tempting offer, I am convinced the left blades are not any safer than a right blade saw. As to faster, in rough carpentry, yep...I do it every day. But as far as woodworking goes, faster is never better. Accuracy is the key there and while I use my saw for that purpose, I don't do that with enough frequency to be an expert. Easiest will be the saw with the most power and any DW, Makita Hypoid, Mag 77 or the Bosch equivalent in the crowd will outpower my saw.

I just prefer the LB because I can see the blade run parallel to the cut line. I also like it because I don't have to stand over the saw and rely on a slot cut into the base to stay on track with my cut line.

If anything, I hope to shed some light on the left blade saw being just as safe as a right blade.

Dino Makropoulos
10-10-2004, 8:48 AM
Dino,

While that is a tempting offer, I am convinced the left blades are not any safer than a right blade saw. As to faster, in rough carpentry, yep...I do it every day. But as far as woodworking goes, faster is never better. Accuracy is the key there and while I use my saw for that purpose, I don't do that with enough frequency to be an expert. Easiest will be the saw with the most power and any DW, Makita Hypoid, Mag 77 or the Bosch equivalent in the crowd will outpower my saw.

I just prefer the LB because I can see the blade run parallel to the cut line. I also like it because I don't have to stand over the saw and rely on a slot cut into the base to stay on track with my cut line.

If anything, I hope to shed some light on the left blade saw being just as safe as a right blade.
OK. I have a problem with the left bladed saws for safety reasons and
you have a problem with the right bladed saws for other reasons.
This is one of the tasks to be solve in Texas. Keep in mind that I will not try to convince you or anyone else who got use to the left bladed saws.

But I will demo how one simple offset line can solve all the problems of both right and left bladed saws.
Sorry I have to edit here.(all except the safety on the left bladed saws)

And any other problems that we have in woodworking should be on the table. From lifting a heavy panel to the table saw or cutting table.
To cut edging from any wood safely and precice.
To EDGE Joint and straight line rip any size lumber .etc etc.
And I'm sure with You ,Steve ,Dennis.Todd and all other fellows there we will find a better way, If not for us for the newcomers.
Draw your left bladed saw Kelly and....cut.
See you in Texas.
YCF Dino