PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Needed -- How Much Is This Lumber Worth?

Tom LaRussa
08-19-2004, 6:23 PM
Anyone care to give an opinion as to the value of this lumber???

Lot consists of approximately 110 Board Feet of kiln dried (over 10 years old)
Honduran Mahogany, Premium grade from 1 tree,

Four Pieces of 8/4 ROUGH SAWN:

(1) piece - 15-5/8" x 11'3" long,

(1) piece - 14-3/8" x 11'3" long,

(1) piece - 11-1/2" x 11'3" long,

(1) piece - 10-1/2" x 3'4" long
One Piece of 4/4 ROUGH SAWN:

(1) piece - 25-3/4" x 13'1" long
Note: This lot does not include the cart shown in first photo

Dennis Peacock
08-19-2004, 6:29 PM
Make them an offer. Start at $2 a bd ft and work you way up to as much as you can stand...depending on how badly you want the lumber. :D

Chris Padilla
08-19-2004, 6:48 PM
I wonder what the hat is hiding on that really wide board! :)

As long as you can see it in person, Tom, you can get a feel for what to offer. Will you be hauling it home? Is that a big deal or a PITA for you?

Check any number of online sites for what is normally charged and start at about half that amount. I think Dennis is pretty close but if it is nice stuff, you might start at $3-4/bf.

That is a nice looking wide board! Did I say that already??? :D

David Brown
08-19-2004, 6:50 PM
And I think you should offer $1.00 BF, $1.25 tops, pending my on site inspection! :D :D

Jamie Buxton
08-19-2004, 7:15 PM
My dealer (northern CA) retails roughsawn 8/4 Hondo for $6.75/bdft. The price on it will only go up.

Jim Becker
08-19-2004, 8:41 PM
My dealer (northern CA) retails roughsawn 8/4 Hondo for $6.75/bdft. The price on it will only go up.
That's about the price I paid for the 8/4 Hond. Mahogany I bought from Hearne Hardwoods two years ago for my chair project...dimensions similar.

Tom LaRussa
08-19-2004, 9:43 PM
I wonder what the hat is hiding on that really wide board! :)

As long as you can see it in person, Tom, you can get a feel for what to offer.
Unfortunately, that's major problem #1 -- it's in Rochester, NY, and I'm in Tampa, FL. :mad:

Will you be hauling it home? Is that a big deal or a PITA for you?

I'd either have to arrange shipping or rent a truck. It just ain't gonna fit in my Mazda Protege. :(

In other words, my only hope in the world is that nobody with half a brain notices it by tomorrow afternoon when it closes, so I can lowball the heck out of it.

Oh fiddlesticks! There's no way in the world I'm gonna snag these beauties. In my defense, it's tough not to fantasize about things like this once one has seen the local prices on hardwoods in the Tampa area. :mad:

So it might not be a total waste, here's the URL for any NY'ers who might be interested: http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lots.asp?pg=details&id=7112

That is a nice looking wide board! Did I say that already??? :D
I think Tricky Dick Nixon said it best when he got to china and said: "It is indeed a nice looking wide board." (Or something like that.) :rolleyes:

Mark Singer
08-20-2004, 12:50 AM
I use quite a bit of it and pay about $5 to $6.25 a board foot. The best grade is "pattern grade" No1 is the next best and has more character.

Jamie Buxton
08-20-2004, 1:41 AM
Unfortunately, that's major problem #1 -- it's in Rochester, NY, and I'm in Tampa, FL.

Whoops! Big whoops! Shipping costs add quite a lot to the net cost of the lumber. Furthermore, buying lumber sight-unseen from somebody you don't know --- well, that'd be too risky for me. What happens if he ships you junk wood? Or maybe doesn't ship you anything at all? What is your recourse?

George M. Perzel
08-20-2004, 7:23 AM
Hi Tom;
Check out this item on Ebay- a load of mahogany for $1.89 per bf and it's a lot closer to you (in Louisiana).
George

George M. Perzel
08-20-2004, 7:24 AM
Whoops!-forgot the item # , it's 5915716154.
George

Charles McKinley
08-20-2004, 9:48 AM
OOOOOOOOO Binks pressure pot and gun oooOOOOOOOOooooo.

Tom the temptation is great and it would even fit in the car.

Steve Evans
08-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Note the 10% buyers premium in the registration page. :(

nic obie
08-20-2004, 2:09 PM
These guys are on the up & up.

I bought a Minimax tablesaw thru them last year. No problems, the saw was better than described. In fact it was new, 4 years old but never even set up.

Hehe (stealth gloat)

Steve Evans
08-20-2004, 4:03 PM
Nic

Thanks for the infor on these guys. I was looking at an auction of theirs later in the month. May have to complete my registration.

Charles McKinley
08-21-2004, 12:54 AM
Well I could not get a hold of my brother the real spray gun guy. So I save my money for the next time. Thanks for the information that they are on the up and up. I really hate buyers premiums, but I just figure it into the maximum I am willing to pay.

Toy toys toys