PDA

View Full Version : Removing Finish

Steve Southwood
06-07-2009, 9:45 AM
I have a bunch of reclaimed trim work that I plan on using. Most of this stuff is 150 yrs plus old. It is mostly flat work. Beautiful when finish is removed. Thats where the problem comes into play. How can I remove the finish. I tried a couple boards to see the grain. Using my head, I ran them thru the planer and destroyed a set of blades. Tried sanding it. 50 grit seems to work, but takes for ever. Heat appears to work for the paint, but not the varnish or what ever is under neath. Pretty sure some of this stuff, if not all, is lead based paint.

Matt Tawes
06-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Paint stripper is your best solution, not the quickest or cleanest method but will do the job tieh ease. Sanding or planing old finishes off will indeed gum up and burn sandpaper and instantly dull planer knives.

Jim Becker
06-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Do be aware that any paint on that trim may be (most likely is) laden with lead. A chemical stripper is your best bet and do dispose of the "remains" appropriately.

Howard Acheson
06-07-2009, 1:19 PM
It the paint contains any lead, sanding is a very poor choice. Not only is it a danger to you but also to anyone else who is exposed to the dust. The dust will also get into nooks and crannies as well as onto other surfaces and items.

You can get a lead testing kit for a few bucks at most paint stores, big boxes and hardware stores.

One thing you might do is to look in the yellow pages for a local shop that strips wood as their business. There used to be a number of them around. Look under "Paint Stripping" or something similar.

Phil Phelps
06-07-2009, 5:11 PM
One thing you might do is to look in the yellow pages for a local shop that strips wood as their business. There used to be a number of them around. Look under "Paint Stripping" or something similar.

I think we hava a Bingo!

Steve Southwood
06-07-2009, 9:01 PM
Can someone give me a name of a paint stripper I can use. I tried some Orange Enviro ttype stuff. Worked pretty good. Anything better?

edit: Oh boy, I did the yellow pages thing online and entered pint strippers by accident. Wow, didn't know we had that kind of stuff in the area

Howard Acheson
06-09-2009, 4:39 PM
The chemical strippers the work the fastest, cut the most finishes and do the most complete job are those that contain methylene chloride.