PDA

View Full Version : Table saw lubricant

Bill Leonard
06-07-2009, 8:26 AM
I am in the process of "cleaning" up a PM 66 as well as a PM 26 shaper bought at auction. Can anyone suggest a good greasless lubricant for the pinion gear?

Sean Kinn
06-07-2009, 9:01 AM
I use plain johnsons paste wax for my Uni. I also used some spray on "Dry Lube" in the past. Since you don't have to worry about contaminating your wood, you can use some of the more "high-tech" lubes for the internals.

Rod Sheridan
06-07-2009, 9:30 AM
Hi Bill, you should be able to purchase an aeorsol can of dry Moly lube at atomotive or industrial supply houses.

It sprays on wet, then dries............Regards, Rod.

glenn bradley
06-07-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm with Rob on a "dry" spray. I use Dupont Teflon Dry Film Lubricant from Lowe's. About $5 a can and it lasts me a couple years. Sprays on wet, dries fast, overspray will wipe off with a paper towel once dry if required.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-07-2009, 10:34 AM
I've been using Dow Corning MolykoteŽ 321 Dry Film Lubricant with good result.
I've used other thing like waxes and a Spray on dry PTFE but I like the Dow product better. The only down side to the Dow product is that it's if a powerfully dark colored film. I use it on my threaded rods, crank gears, Trunnion and slider bearings. It's has an excellent ability so stay put where I need it under pressure and frequent use.

Byron Trantham
06-07-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm with Rob on a "dry" spray. I use Dupont Teflon Dry Film Lubricant from Lowe's. About $5 a can and it lasts me a couple years. Sprays on wet, dries fast, overspray will wipe off with a paper towel once dry if required.

I use the same thing and I love it. Easy to use and ther results are great.:p

Matt Meiser
06-07-2009, 11:13 AM
I use the teflon spray from Lowes too. Works great and doesn't gunk up with dust.

Howard Acheson
06-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Furniture paste wax has been the lubricant of choice for many years. Use a toothbrush to apply the wax as someone rotates the crank. The solvent in the wax will remove the old gunk and leave clean, smooth gear. Wax will not attract or hold sawdust.

Doug Shepard
06-20-2009, 2:01 PM
What department at Lowes usually has the dry Teflon? I tried a couple days ago and either mine doesn't carry it or they dont keep it with the WD40, Liquid Wrench, etc. The guy I asked hadnt heard of it but didnt seem real knowledgable about what they did carry.

Bob Genovesi
06-20-2009, 4:14 PM
I've used this for years and really like it. I apply it using a 3M Scotch Brite pad or similar material that can withstand some scrubbing. I bought it from Grizzly online and the price was right as well, somewhere in the neighborhood of $9:00 a can if memory serves me correctly.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/slipit.jpg

Clint deal
06-20-2009, 4:18 PM
I've used this for years and really like it. I apply it using a 3M Scotch Brite pad or similar material that can withstand some scrubbing. I bought it from Grizzly online and the price was right as well, somewhere in the neighborhood of $9:00 a can if memory serves me correctly.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/slipit.jpg
I used something like this in a spray can for my lawn mower deck. I got it from Lowes in the lawnmower area. Worked great under the deck for keeping the grass from building up. I thought at the time that it would work good on moving parts of my woodworking tools but used it all on the lawn mower.
clint

Lee Schierer
06-20-2009, 4:52 PM
Or go to your local bike shop and buy a spray can of chain lube. It dries so it doesn't collect road dust and still manages to lubricate the chain.