PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get...

Jarrod McGehee
06-07-2009, 3:51 AM
new bearings and parts for an old PM 90. it was green then rather than the mustard monster. I'm asking you guys first just because many of you already know the best places to get the best deals. It's for one of the lathes at my school's shop because the thing makes sooooooo much darn noise :mad: and doesn't run as smooth as it could if it was treated to the equivalence to a girl getting pampered at a day spa I guess.

Once again, I appreciate is fellas

Bruce Smith
06-07-2009, 7:33 AM
Take the bearing to a bearing shop in you area they will measue the bearing or if there is a manufactures number on the bearing they will cross that number in their master cross list and supply you with a new bearing or two. Many people fail to realize that most bearings are not manufactured to fit certain machinery, the machinery is usually manufactured to fit the bearing, therefore the bearings for you old PM are no doubt on the shelf at one of the bearing shops in your area. The bearings in your lathe are no doubt used in many applications. If they don't stock them, they can probably obtain them from their supplier and they would be less expensive than getting them from a PM dealer.
If you look in the archives here you can probably find the link to the Old Woodworking Machinery Site and they might be able to help you out with locating parts that you require. Hope this helps out with your wants.

Paul Atkins
06-07-2009, 4:46 PM
I've got a PM90 that I replaced the bearings on. The local Kaman bearing place had them. Fafnir / Timken 207KLL and 208KLL. Runs very smooth now. These are the spindle bearings. The variable speed pulley bearings I did not need to replace. Every once and a while someone will part one out and have parts on Ebay.

Jarrod McGehee
06-08-2009, 8:53 PM
Thanks that helped a lot. what about the variable speed pulleys? should those be replaced? I'll open up the monster tomorrow and check out everything but when I'm turning it sure is a hell of a loud ruckus. I just want to get that baby running nice.

Gary Max
06-08-2009, 9:10 PM
I buy belts and bearings from----NAPA
Heck I have never stumped them yet.
Last week ---belts for my rotortiller

Jarrod McGehee
06-08-2009, 9:48 PM
Thanks Gary. I'll check with them maybe this week.