PDA

View Full Version : More 1-touch testing

Tor Amundson
06-07-2009, 3:37 AM
I got my trial copy of 1-Touch photo this week. I've finally had some time to play with it, and so far, so good! Having never used any of the 'photo engrave' packages I've avoided most photo-realistic work. Most of my laser use is small parts cutting and vector artwork. Being able to add photos to projects is a huge boon.

I'll post my acrylic samples later if anybody is curious. For now I've attached pictures of two business-card sized pieces of anodized aluminum (from Chewbarka). These are photos of my own that I used as demos to see how various levels of contrast come out.

As I received no instructions or help-files with the 1-touch package it's been quite the learning experience. I've found this workflow to work best, and would love any suggestions of a better way to do it:

1. Import the picture onto Corel. Size and position it where you want it to end up being engraved.
2. Pick 'resample' from the Corel menu, click 'keep same size' and press OK. This sets the height/width in the .jpg without altering the actual data in it.
3. right-click the pic in the Object Manager and save it to disk
4. Delete the pic from the corel file.
5. Open the pic in 1-Touch-Photo. Select material, press 'apply', then save it under a new name.
6. Go back to Corel, re-load the photo (now halftoned properly) saved from 1-Touch. Put it back into place.
7. Print. Select the same material in the print selector. Be sure to turn on the 'one touch photo' checkbox on the bottom.

(Note: for these aluminum chunks, I've found that on my VLS4.60@60W the best dynamic range is found at a raster setting of 27%-power, 100%-speed -- far higher than the default 13% the driver suggests! Also, if you don't turn on the 'one touch logo' checkbox the dynamic range is notably collapsed.)

8. Open the UCP and run the laser job.

Is this how most folks do it? Is there a better/easier way that'll still get great results?

For the curious -- the motorcycle pic is of my Honda Valkyrie and the other one is my aunt and her big kitty cat. He lived in the house until he got over 500lbs. :)

Scott Shepherd
06-07-2009, 9:18 AM
Looks good Tor, as far as workflow, I have been taking the original into 1-Touch, as is, and if it needs to be resized, I resize it using the resize feature in 1-Touch. Then process it. You can save it and go into Corel for placement, or, as I do, I export it directly into the Control Panel and I relocate it there. I haven't done a tremendous amount with it, other than a few things here and there, but I hope to get some time to work it out soon.

Thanks for sharing your results, quite impressive.

Andrey Anfimov
06-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Nice job,Tor.
I can not do my work with 1-Touch photo because program has error. The program does not work with big picture. All the time I have message : Not enough memory. Is it not enough 2GB of memory to work with picture 30x30 cm? So I am still waiting for new version without ERROR.

Scott Shepherd
06-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Is that an error Andrey, or a warning? I've seen the warning and I just go past it and keep going.

I forgot what it says, but it seems like it's along the lines of what you posted. I got it when bringing in a small photo, so I thought it was just a warning to let you know it couldn't take a super large, high def photo.

I've run 5MB files through it so far and it worked. If you'd like to send me the photo, send me a PM and I'll give you my email address and I'll try it here.

Andrey Anfimov
06-08-2009, 8:02 AM
Hello, Scott!
Today I try to do one work with 1-Touch again. Image is 30x60 cm 250 dpi grayscale. File size is 6.6 MB.
Type of material - marble.
After I push button Apply Filter I saw bar with progress of work.
Hmmm, today I have new error - Parameter not valid. I don't make resize or crop picture, I only choose material. What parameter not valid?
So, I am still waiting for new version of program.
I have version 3.19.0.10. May be it is old version? What version do you have, Scott?
Scott, thank you for help, but now I prefer to use Photoshop. I made some new works on marble and soon I show it for all people on the forum.

Eric Seest
06-08-2009, 4:02 PM
Andrey,
I am using version 3.19.11 and having very good results, you might want to contact tech support to see if they can send that version. So far any problems I have had tech support has been able to fix (which has been very few). I am also using UCP 5.26.45 you may need to check that as well. So far I am very impressed with the results. I have been changing the size, cropping and then selecting the type of material and then finally I save it and import it into corel and move it where I want. If you would like you can send me the picture you are trying and I will change it to what you are needing and then send it back to you.

Andrey Anfimov
06-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Ok, finally I've got a new version 3.19.11. I've tried to make picture: 30 cm x 60 cm, 250 dpi, Grayscale, 8-bit, format JPEG, file size 4696 KB.
I've opened that picture in 1Touch, choose material Marmor and saw next text: Images large than 150 megapixels (150 square inches at 1000 dpi engraver resolution) are not supported. Continue anyway?
Ok, of course push button Continue. Program made it work and I have results, but I afraid to engrave that picture on marble.
Somebody make picture 30x60 cm in program 1-Touch?
Do you have good results?

Cliff Patrick
06-26-2009, 3:45 PM
Where can you get the 1-Touch program?

Tony Lenkic
06-26-2009, 4:45 PM
Cliff,

I think you can get it from your local ULS distributor if you purchase ULS laser.

Andrey Anfimov
06-26-2009, 5:42 PM
From Universal Inc. Trial version.