PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Hushpuppies!

Scott Shepherd
06-06-2009, 7:03 PM
I'm looking for some knowledge here. We're talking deep fried bliss, waiting to be split open and slathered with a big knife full of butter......

I've run into two kinds, basically the round ones and then the little tubular shaped ones that almost look like a mini hotdog shape.

I'm no master chef and I'm better out on the grill than inside, but I'd like to master the little hotdoggy shaped fellas. Around here, you see the round one's at BBQ places and the hotdog shaped ones more at seafood restaurants. I've made the round ones plenty of times, but the manufacturing method escapes me on how to make the hotdoggy shaped ones.

Anyone know how to make those and have a recipe for them? My quest for the summer is to figure out how to make those and some good onion rings :)

That sounds like a good summer project, doesn't it? :)

Steve Schlumpf
06-06-2009, 7:29 PM
Scott - I don't have a recipe but you sure got my interest! Hope to learn something right along with you!

Caspar Hauser
06-06-2009, 7:40 PM
I'm sorry but what are you discussing? Hushpuppies are shoes, the kind substitute teachers wear.:)

Robert Parrish
06-06-2009, 7:53 PM
I make Hushpuppies all the time, the shape doesn't matter. If you use a spoon to drop them the shapes will vary. As for recipes, try cooks.com, food network or try this one:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/fritters/r/bl00823b.htm

Scott Shepherd
06-06-2009, 8:19 PM
Ahh, Robert, there's the difference, the 2 are different in taste and texture. The "Spoon drop" ones, or round ones, tend to be a lot more coarse in texture. The hotdoggy (I just like saying that word) ones seem to me a lot finer in texture. That's the real difference I'm trying to figure out.

Mike Henderson
06-06-2009, 8:57 PM
Do you know why they're called "hushpuppies"? Well, this is the story I heard as a young man in the south.

Back in the 18th and 19th centuries the kitchen was not attached to large plantation houses because of the danger of fire. So the kitchen workers would have to carry the food from the kitchen to the house. A plantation had a lot of animals, including dogs, and the dogs would try to get the food as it was carried from the kitchen to the house. So the kitchen workers started making those balls of fried dough and would throw them to the dogs as they carried the food to the main house. Since a name was needed for those balls of dough, the workers started calling them, "hush puppy".

I have no idea if that story is true but I've always like the idea (I want to believe it's true).

Mike

Jim Rimmer
06-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Do you know why they're called "hushpuppies"? Well, this is the story I heard as a young man in the south.

Back in the 18th and 19th centuries the kitchen was not attached to large plantation houses because of the danger of fire. So the kitchen workers would have to carry the food from the kitchen to the house. A plantation had a lot of animals, including dogs, and the dogs would try to get the food as it was carried from the kitchen to the house. So the kitchen workers started making those balls of fried dough and would throw them to the dogs as they carried the food to the main house. Since a name was needed for those balls of dough, the workers started calling them, "hush puppy".

I have no idea if that story is true but I've always like the idea (I want to believe it's true).

Mike

Being a son of the South, that's the story I always heard with one twist - they would say to the dog as the treat was tossed, "Hush, puppy."

Mike Henderson
06-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Being a son of the South, that's the story I always heard with one twist - they would say to the dog as the treat was tossed, "Hush, puppy."
Ah, you're right. I misremembered. Old age.

Mike

Burt Alcantara
06-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Mike,
That's the story I heard when I was a small child and I'm not from the south.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-06-2009, 11:49 PM
My wife picked up a great hushpuppy recipe while we were stationed at NAS, Meridian, MS in the early '70s. Good stuff but I'll bet my cardiologist wouldn't like it.:o

Joe Pelonio
06-07-2009, 12:09 AM
We normally drop them by the spoon too, as learned from my wife's grandmother from Missouri, may she rest in peace.

Sorry to say this, Scott, but when you go to a restaurant and see those hot-dog shaped ones they are most likely deep fried from frozen dough that has been shaped by machine and is available from the wholesale prepared foods distributors. If you wahnted to make them yourself you would simply add more flour, preferably corn flour, to make them thicker to be able to shape.

Belinda Barfield
06-07-2009, 7:04 AM
Sorry to say this, Scott, but when you go to a restaurant and see those hot-dog shaped ones they are most likely deep fried from frozen dough that has been shaped by machine and is available from the wholesale prepared foods distributors. If you wahnted to make them yourself you would simply add more flour, preferably corn flour, to make them thicker to be able to shape.

My parents grow corn and have it ground to grits and cornmeal. The finer the grind of the cornmeal, the tighter you can "pack" it retain a shape. As Joe said, try adding some corn flour. For me hush puppies are just fried corn bread dropped by the spoon. Cornmeal, eggs, buttermilk, and a dash of salt. If I'm feeling industrious and want to spend time chopping I throw in some jalapenos. (sp?)

Scott, get in touch with me around August if you want to try the home grown variety of cornmeal.

Robert Parrish
06-07-2009, 8:56 AM
Joe, I grew up in Missouri until I was 15. My Mom owned a restaurant and served catfish and hush puppies, that is how I learned to cook them. I also like to cook fried green tomatoes another great Southern dish!

Scott Shepherd
06-07-2009, 9:35 AM
Sorry to say this, Scott, but when you go to a restaurant and see those hot-dog shaped ones they are most likely deep fried from frozen dough that has been shaped by machine and is available from the wholesale prepared foods distributors.

Now that's just wrong......

My bubble has officially been burst :(

Belinda Barfield
06-07-2009, 9:37 AM
Joe, I grew up in Missouri until I was 15. My Mom owned a restaurant and served catfish and hush puppies, that is how I learned to cook them. I also like to cook fried green tomatoes another great Southern dish!

What time is dinner? I'd drive a heck of a lot farther than Bradenton for good fried green 'maters!

Joe Pelonio
06-07-2009, 12:42 PM
My late grandmother-in-law introduced me to catfish and hushpuppies too,
plus fried chicken and biscuits like I've never tasted since. She never did the fried green tomatoes for me but she made a mean pecan pie!

Doug Shepard
06-07-2009, 1:05 PM
Joe, I grew up in Missouri until I was 15. My Mom owned a restaurant and served catfish and hush puppies,...

Back in the old days when gas was cheap enough that folks actually towed travel trailers behind their car, the parental units were big on 2-3 week vacations to various parts of the US. 3 years in a row we went to Tennessee/Kentucky to the TVA Land-Between-the-Lakes area. One of the first things we would do was head out for catfish and hushpuppy dinners. YUM.

Dan Mages
06-08-2009, 8:45 AM
I'm looking for some knowledge here. We're talking deep fried bliss, waiting to be split open and slathered with a big knife full of butter......

I've run into two kinds, basically the round ones and then the little tubular shaped ones that almost look like a mini hotdog shape.

I'm no master chef and I'm better out on the grill than inside, but I'd like to master the little hotdoggy shaped fellas. Around here, you see the round one's at BBQ places and the hotdog shaped ones more at seafood restaurants. I've made the round ones plenty of times, but the manufacturing method escapes me on how to make the hotdoggy shaped ones.

Anyone know how to make those and have a recipe for them? My quest for the summer is to figure out how to make those and some good onion rings :)

That sounds like a good summer project, doesn't it? :)

Well, I am a chef, pastry to be precise, and I can answer your hushpuppy questions.

According to the Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook, the football shaped are South Carolina style and the round ones are North Carolina style. North Carolina style are going to be lighter in texture than SC the style. I highly recommend buying the Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook if you like Low Country cookin. Here are the recipes from that book. http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Bros-Southern-Cookbook-Southerners/dp/039305781X?&camp=212361&linkCode=wsw&tag=wwwnorthwinda-20&creative=380797 (Using an SMC link... I hope)

NC Style
1c cornmeal
1c AP flour
1t baking soda
1t baking powder
.5t salt
2t sugar
.25c finely minced scallions
1t lemon zest
1 large egg
1c +2T buttermilk
oil for deep frying

Stir together the first eight ingredients. Beat the egg and mix it into the dry ingredients. Stir in the buttermilk slowly until you have a fexible and tacky batter.

Heat the oil in your best cast iron to 375f. Drop the batter into the pan by the spoonful. Fry for at least 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oil and place in a warm oven until ready to serve.

SC Style
1.25c cornmeal
.5c AP flour
.5t baking soda
.5t baking powder
1.5T sugar
.5t salt
.5t black pepper
3T minced scallions
1 egg
.5c plus 2T buttermilk
oil for frying.

Same exact process except you want to try to shape them into more of a football shape.

Good luck

Gary Kvasnicka
06-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Ahh, Robert, there's the difference, the 2 are different in taste and texture. The "Spoon drop" ones, or round ones, tend to be a lot more coarse in texture. The hotdoggy (I just like saying that word) ones seem to me a lot finer in texture. That's the real difference I'm trying to figure out.
Scott,
If you like the hotdoggy style of hushpuppy. Nanny's is the place, it is on US 301 just south of Petersburg in Prince George County, I-95 exit 45. I don't know what part of Richmond you are in, but you couldn't be over a hours drive.
They even sell hushpuppy mix, perhaps you could reverse engineer it.:)
http://nannysbbq.com/store.htm
I like the hushpuppys there so much, I usually eat more of them than BBQ.

Stephen Tashiro
06-08-2009, 3:42 PM
When I've made hush puppies, they've always had too much of a hint of the baking soda/baking powder flavor. Is the way to avoid this to use less of the soda/powder or is there a cooking technique to fix this problem?

Chris Padilla
06-08-2009, 3:50 PM
Hmmm, I always thought hushpuppies were square diced potatoes pan-fried with onion and maybe a few other spices...but I ain't from the South.... :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-08-2009, 4:37 PM
http://www.chitterlings.com/hush-puppies.html

Making 'em long would, I'd guess, require that you shape 'em that way before dropping 'em in the fry oil. That might require that you reduce the fluid some so you can roll the dough up on a cake frosting spreader type spatula and then with a second one roll it off into the oil PLOP.

some good onion rings

Any decent tempura batter. The lighter the batter the better. Heavy batters just end up making a thick gooey cakey mess.

Slice Vidalia or large Spanish onions ('bout a quarter inch thick) swirl 'em in batter and drop the dipped rings into hot oil.

Belinda Barfield
06-08-2009, 5:18 PM
Hmmm, I always thought hushpuppies were square diced potatoes pan-fried with onion and maybe a few other spices...but I ain't from the South.... :D

Chris, how can you have reached the ripe old age of 40 without ever having tasted a hushpuppy? You poor, poor dear. Good hushpuppies are just like little fried pieces of heaven. The potatoes you describe are hashbrowns (country fries, cottage fries, or breakfast 'taters). I can see the confusion of old age has already taken hold. :D

Not being from the South . . . bless your heart . . . you just don't know what you're missing.

Scott Shepherd
06-08-2009, 8:07 PM
Excellent folks, thanks for sharing all that information! I've printed it out and we'll give it a try soon.

Gary, thanks for the tip on Nanny's. Never heard of it, but we've been known to drive for hours for a meal, so Petersburg for BBQ and Hushpuppies? That's a trip for lunch :) I can't wait for dinner ;)

Chris........:::sighhh:::......now we understand a lot of California's problems ;)

Belinda, think we can whip up a mess of Southern style food and ship it out to those deprived folks? Never had a hushpuppy?

That's like saying you never had a bike as a child!

Belinda Barfield
06-08-2009, 8:37 PM
Excellent folks, thanks for sharing all that information! I've printed it out and we'll give it a try soon.

Gary, thanks for the tip on Nanny's. Never heard of it, but we've been known to drive for hours for a meal, so Petersburg for BBQ and Hushpuppies? That's a trip for lunch :) I can't wait for dinner ;)

Chris........:::sighhh:::......now we understand a lot of California's problems ;)

Belinda, think we can whip up a mess of Southern style food and ship it out to those deprived folks? Never had a hushpuppy?

That's like saying you never had a bike as a child!

I know Steve, how sad. However, hushpuppies don't ship well. Maybe we could invite him to the South and feed him some good, fillin', soul food. I'm guessing Cheese Grits or Shrimp & Grits have never passed his lips.

Scott Shepherd
06-08-2009, 8:39 PM
Maybe we could invite him to the South and feed him some good, fillin', soul food. I'm guessing Cheese Grits or Shrimp & Grits have never passed his lips.

No way, that's how we got the Yankee's down here now! Don't feed them, they'll never leave ;)

John Fricke
06-08-2009, 8:57 PM
Next think y'all rednecks be talkin chittlins, pickled porks feet, and black eyed peas..........Just kiddin I love most southern cooked food.

Don Bullock
06-08-2009, 9:29 PM
Chris, how can you have reached the ripe old age of 40 without ever having tasted a hushpuppy? You poor, poor dear. Good hushpuppies are just like little fried pieces of heaven. The potatoes you describe are hashbrowns (country fries, cottage fries, or breakfast 'taters). I can see the confusion of old age has already taken hold. :D

Not being from the South . . . bless your heart . . . you just don't know what you're missing.

Belinda, I'm quite a bit older and have never had a Hush Puppy except for the ones I wear on my feet and I have lived in the South.;) :D

Robert Parrish
06-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Belinda, Nice thing about living in Florida is that we get tomatoes 2-3 times a year. I was just out to the farm yesterday picking some green ones to fry up! I also got a peck of sweet onions for onion rings. I think I'm eating too much fried food!

Jim Mattheiss
06-08-2009, 10:25 PM
See - this is why I'll have to remain a Yankee.

As my mother would say "He's a fussy eater!".

I'm not sure I'm up to real southern cooking . . . I'm a steak and french fries kind of guy. I went to New Orleans on business ages ago and dined at NOLA (one of Emeril's restaurants) and had a STEAK. It was a good steak, but a steak. . . No cajun this or creole that - just a filet mignon steak.

There's no hope for me gastronomically

Cheers

Jim

Belinda Barfield
06-09-2009, 7:50 AM
Next think y'all rednecks be talkin chittlins, pickled porks feet, and black eyed peas..........Just kiddin I love most southern cooked food.

Now John, ain't no cause for name callin'. :D For the record, it's pickled PIG's feet, not porks. LOL . . . A chittlin never has, and never will, cross my lips, although I have been to the Chittlin' Strut in South Carolina (can't remember the name of the town, Sally or something like that).

See - this is why I'll have to remain a Yankee.

I'm not sure I'm up to real southern cooking . . . I'm a steak and french fries kind of guy. I went to New Orleans on business ages ago and dined at NOLA (one of Emeril's restaurants) and had a STEAK. It was a good steak, but a steak. . . No cajun this or creole that - just a filet mignon steak.

There's no hope for me gastronomically

Cheers

Jim

Jim, we do have plain ol' steak and fries in the south. Since you Yankees lifted the blockade we have pretty much everything you do, well, except snow, and some other southern delicacies you don't - boiled peanuts. Yummy. :D

Sorry Steve, didn't mean to hijack your thread and hamper your efforts to cook the perfect hush puppy, hotdoggy or otherwise. ;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Pssst Belinda. If he don't know what Snoots are don't tell him till after he's had a mess of 'em.

Jason Roehl
06-09-2009, 11:05 AM
For hotdog shapes, I'm thinking a pastry bag to squeeze it into the oil would work, but I'm no master chef.

All y'all are killin' me here...now I'm hungry...

Chris Padilla
06-09-2009, 11:11 AM

Well, hashbrowns result from potatoes going through a cheese grater so that ain't it. :) But, they could be country fires or cottage fries as those sound a bit more familiar. I think I can say pretty assuredly that I have not had the hushpuppies y'all are describing!

BTW, I'm from Colorado...not California...Mom is from Pennsylvania...Dad from New Mexico...not much southern blood in my family near as I can tell.... :D :D

Belinda Barfield
06-09-2009, 11:15 AM
BTW, I'm from Colorado...not California...Mom is from Pennsylvania...Dad from New Mexico...not much southern blood in my family near as I can tell.... :D :D

Did someone move New Mexico while I wasn't looking?:D Okay, not Southern, but south at least.

CW McClellan
06-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Use( HOUSE AUTRY Mix) they will be the way in South Carolina ya want
The corn meal type are corser
use spoon to get the cocoon shape :D

Ben Davis
06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Well outside of Belinda and CW, I didn't see anyone who struck me as from "The South." I'll add my 2 cents. Being raised in Louisiana, hushpuppies are round. Period. I dare you to find skinny hotdogged hushpuppies in the same zipcode as Decatur St. For the first nearly 30 years of my life I never saw these hotdog things until I moved to North Carolina and I've spent extensive time in nearly all of the Deep South. These hotdog things must be some kind of yankee or mid west incursion into southern cuisine. It can't be from the southwest as hotdog hush puppies don't have cyanne pepper!

Doc

Hal Peeler
06-09-2009, 1:08 PM
To get the "football" shaped ones, try this: Mix your batter a little on the thick side, to the point where you can put it on a rectangular shaped paddle and kind of make it into a loaf type shape. Once you get that part, take a butter knife and cut into the "loaf" about 3/4" and slide it off of the paddle into the grease. Sorry but that's as good as I can describe it. The paddle I'm talking about is about 2-3" wide by about 12" long and can be made from 1/4" plywood. It works for us and I hope it helps you.
Hal

Belinda Barfield
06-09-2009, 2:47 PM
Well outside of Belinda and CW, I didn't see anyone who struck me as from "The South." I'll add my 2 cents. Being raised in Louisiana, hushpuppies are round. Period.

Doc

Yeah, what Doc said!

To get the "football" shaped ones, try this: Mix your batter a little on the thick side, to the point where you can put it on a rectangular shaped paddle and kind of make it into a loaf type shape. Once you get that part, take a butter knife and cut into the "loaf" about 3/4" and slide it off of the paddle into the grease. Sorry but that's as good as I can describe it. The paddle I'm talking about is about 2-3" wide by about 12" long and can be made from 1/4" plywood. It works for us and I hope it helps you.
Hal

Hal, I see you're living in Georgia, but I still have to say . . . You ain't from roun' here er ya'? :D

Hal Peeler
06-09-2009, 3:26 PM
Yeah, what Doc said!

Hal, I see you're living in Georgia, but I still have to say . . . You ain't from roun' here er ya'? :D

Born here, raised here, never lived any where else. Why would you say that?

Belinda Barfield
06-09-2009, 3:38 PM
Born here, raised here, never lived any where else. Why would you say that?

I was really just teasing you Hal. I've never met anyone in Georgia that paddles their hushpuppies.

Hal Peeler
06-09-2009, 3:49 PM
I was really just teasing you Hal. I've never met anyone in Georgia that paddles their hushpuppies.

I can take it. Actually learned the trick from my father in law (who btw was born here, raised here, never lived anywhere else) just a couple of years ago. I don't remember who showed it to him.
Now if I confess this, you will swear that I am not from here...We've started buying the frozen pups and cooking them. I didn't just say that did I?

Belinda Barfield
06-09-2009, 4:23 PM
Now if I confess this, you will swear that I am not from here...We've started buying the frozen pups and cooking them. I didn't just say that did I?

Well, if we're going to have confession time, here's mine. I've been praising my brother-in-law's hushpuppies with jalapenos for years. I found out last year that they are STORE BOUGHT! Oh, the horror! They're my favorite.

Scott Shepherd
06-10-2009, 6:25 PM
Well outside of Belinda and CW, I didn't see anyone who struck me as from "The South."

Perhaps you left out the Capital of the Confederacy??? You might not think we're in the South, but believe me, we are (Thank the Lord for that!).

Come on, you have to give us SOME credit. I say y'all, preshadit, and the likes all the time :)

Belinda Barfield
06-10-2009, 6:32 PM
Perhaps you left out the Capital of the Confederacy??? You might not think we're in the South, but believe me, we are (Thank the Lord for that!).

Come on, you have to give us SOME credit. I say y'all, preshadit, and the likes all the time :)

The ultimate test Steve. Do you point out things over yonder? Is the store just down the road a piece? Are you fixin' to wash your truck? Do you refer to the Piggly Wiggly store as "the Pig"? Are you "Big on the Pig"?

For you non Southerners "preshadit" is a shortened form of "I appreciate it."

P.S. Please, don't anyone accuse me of bashing Southerners. It's all in good fun so please don't be offended. I am a Southerner, I love Southerners, some of my best friends are Southerners. We can laugh at ourselves, and that's a good thing.

Scott Shepherd
06-10-2009, 8:52 PM
The ultimate test Steve. Do you point out things over yonder? Is the store just down the road a piece? Are you fixin' to wash your truck? Do you refer to the Piggly Wiggly store as "the Pig"? Are you "Big on the Pig"?

For you non Southerners "preshadit" is a shortened form of "I appreciate it."

P.S. Please, don't anyone accuse me of bashing Southerners. It's all in good fun so please don't be offended. I am a Southerner, I love Southerners, some of my best friends are Southerners. We can laugh at ourselves, and that's a good thing.

Darn toot'n, you betcha :)

Cept we don't have piggly wiggly. I think they left years ago or either never made it up this neck of the woods.

What about Bojangles? :) I know that doesn't really count, but they closed the only ones in this area several years ago (poor management), and I crave them all the time. I've driven to NC to get a Chicken Biscuit and some "Bo Rounds" :) I found one near Angus' house, so I'll have to start visiting him more often :)

Belinda Barfield
06-10-2009, 9:24 PM
What about Bojangles? :) I know that doesn't really count, but they closed the only ones in this area several years ago (poor management), and I crave them all the time. I've driven to NC to get a Chicken Biscuit and some "Bo Rounds" :) I found one near Angus' house, so I'll have to start visiting him more often :)

OMG . . . Bojangles. The ultimate chicken. Bo Rounds, Chicken Biscuits. I ADORE Bojangles. Like hushpuppies to the West Coast, can you ship me some? Oh, and BoBerry Biscuits, little bites of heaven.

Scott Shepherd
06-13-2009, 9:15 AM
Scott,
If you like the hotdoggy style of hushpuppy. Nanny's is the place, it is on US 301 just south of Petersburg in Prince George County, I-95 exit 45.

I like the hushpuppys there so much, I usually eat more of them than BBQ.

Gary, I hate you. I went to Nanny's last night. Had to roll myself out of there. I think they actually had to push me through the door because I got wedged in. WOW.....now that's a lot of food. Good, home cooked southern food.

Like you, I think I ate my weight in hushpuppies. Really really really good food. What was it, something like $10 for all you can eat of all of that? You've got to be kidding me. I'm glad it's not local, I'd be as big as a house :)

Thanks for the tip, loved the place!

Gary Kvasnicka
06-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Scott,

You are welcome, I like the food there myself. I would like to blame all of my middle aged spread on them. :D.... So did they give you the secret of the hushpuppy?
I guess you won't hate me any more if I told you that a Bojangle's is opening this week about 2-3 miles north of Nanny's in Petersburg on Crater Road in front of the new Hospital. And one opened in Hopewell about 3 months ago.

Belinda Barfield
06-13-2009, 1:13 PM
Scott,

You are welcome, I like the food there myself. I would like to blame all of my middle aged spread on them. :D.... So did they give you the secret of the hushpuppy?
I guess you won't hate me any more if I told you that a Bojangle's is opening this week about 2-3 miles north of Nanny's in Petersburg on Crater Road in front of the new Hospital. And one opened in Hopewell about 3 months ago.

Now I hate you Gary. There is one Bojangle's in Savannah and it is virtually impossible to get out of their parking lot. It's also in a part of town I never go to. Now I've really got a craving so I guess I'll have to drive all the way across town and waste half the afternoon waiting for some kind soul to allow me into the flow of traffic. Sigh . . . some things are worth it.

Gary Kvasnicka
06-13-2009, 9:33 PM
I guess I am just making friends one post at a time!:D
It's just the way I am, my kids accuse me of giving directions by " landmark restaurants". Each turn will be at a place that has the best meatball subs or the diner with the best chicken and dumplings, I never just say turn left on Main St. I always tell them just be proud I don't reference bars and ABC stores.

Caspar Hauser
06-14-2009, 9:12 AM
So not shoes then?
:)

Scott Shepherd
06-14-2009, 9:21 AM
the diner with the best chicken and dumplings

And just where would we be turning if we were turning at the best Chicken and Dumpling diner? :D

Gary Kvasnicka
06-14-2009, 10:53 AM
And just where would we be turning if we were turning at the best Chicken and Dumpling diner? :D
Nanny's didn't have any on the buffet Friday night? :D Unfortunately, the diner in question closed long ago when the owners retired. The best chicken and dumplings ever were made by my Grandma, she passed away in 1974. My idea of heaven is... she will be there with a big steaming plate of her chicken and dumplings when my time comes.

Scott Shepherd
06-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Yes, they did and I ate them too :) Just thought you might be on to another hot spot :)

In all the excitement, I forgot to get hushpuppy mix :( Guess I'll have to make another trip down there.....maybe it was my subconscious making me forget, knowing I'd have to go back to pick up the mix :)

Scott Shepherd
07-11-2009, 8:03 PM
HUSHPUPPY UPDATE!!!! Got the hushpuppies all figured out! Using the mix from Nanny's (you can get it online!).

Mummmmmmmmm Mmmmmmmmmm MMMMmmmmmm!

Excellent.

Got fresh cut fries worked out too. Bought the thing that cuts them into squares, fried them in peanut oil. Turned out great.

Worked on onion rings for 4 or 5 batches, trying different things. Haven't got them worked out yet. Used a Texas Sweet Onion, and it really had no flavor. All you could taste was the batter.

Anyone know what onion you should use? I'm not an onion eater. Never bought one in my life, much less cooked one, but I do like onion rings. So I'd like to find one that's not real strong, but still has some flavor.

Any suggestions?

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2009, 9:16 AM
Anyone know what onion you should use? I'm not an onion eater. Never bought one in my life, much less cooked one, but I do like onion rings. So I'd like to find one that's not real strong, but still has some flavor.

Any suggestions?

Congrats Steve!

Go with Vidalia onions. BTW, when do we get to taste test?

Scott Shepherd
07-12-2009, 9:18 AM
Go with Vidalia onions. BTW, when do we get to taste test?

We'll have to work out a Southern get together for SMC folks. Might just try and fly in some of those California folks to let them have a hushpuppy or two :)