PDA

View Full Version : Western Red Cedar outside

Dean Karavite
06-06-2009, 6:24 PM
My wife wanted a planting bench. We saw a few online and I thought, "What $200 for that? I can build it." So after spending about $250 on some red cedar and a weekend or two it is done. I want to protect it, but I have no idea what to finish it with. I know there are products for cedar decks, but from what I know of those, they need to be redone every two years or so. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

P.S. I swear there was an article in FWW on outdoor finishes recently, but I can't find it. As for the wood, Lowes has cedar for much lower $, but it is so poorly stacked, managed and maintained I could not find more than one good board. Seems like such a waste.

Mark Norman
06-06-2009, 6:34 PM
For outdoor use I would soak it with boiled linseed oil. After a few weeks soak it again. After three or four applications its good for years.

Phil Phelps
06-07-2009, 7:47 AM
What ever you put on it will change the color. Drop in a real paint store and ask. TWP is a good product for cedar. I'd stay away from stains and semi transparent products.

Dean Karavite
06-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks Phil and Mark. Unfortunately I can't find a store with people as knowledgeable as here. I don't mind if it darkens the wood a bit or even a lot. I'm found the article testing water proof finishes. They made sample panels of all kinds of wood with about 5 types of different products and left them out in various parts of the country.
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/Materials/MaterialsPDF.aspx?id=32304

The best rated cost $50 a quart and requires 7 coats. They tried a Watco penetrating oil (probably BLO based?) and though the color changed over time (I don't mind that) the surfaces were rough and there was cracking. Spar varnish was about in the middle in performance and effort.

None of this makes things easier to decide. I'm making a matching box to store gardening stuff and when all is said and done there will be about $400 of cedar involved. I'd like it all to last as long as possible.

Howard Acheson
06-07-2009, 1:13 PM
>> I swear there was an article in FWW on outdoor finishes recently, but I can't find it.

Fine Woodworking May-June issue.

That said, their tests were only for a year. Consumer Reports has been running finishing tests for the past 10 years or so. Their tests are for 3+ years so are much more rigorous.

Bottom line is that no clear finish lasts much longer than a year when continually exposed to sunlight and other outdoor environmental conditions. Us boaters which that were not the case. You want to particuarly avoid any of the big box consumer brand "spar" poly varnishes. They are the first to fail.

For longer lasting protection, semi-opaque deck finishes last about two years and some opaque deck finishes last three years. Go to your local library and look at the June and July issues of Consumr Reports.

Mark Norman
06-07-2009, 1:36 PM
A large patio table I soaked with linseed oil. It has grayed with age but the oil keeps it from rotting and keeps the bugs away so far:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/random/101_0908.jpg

The arbor was treated the same way.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t116/triangle5/random/101_0911.jpg

Over the years I have found that any finish that does not penetrate will need to be re-finished every couple years and I wanted maintenance free as possible.

I think any good penetrating oil would be your best bet and the BLO is relatively cheap.

Where's the pics Dean?

Phil Phelps
06-07-2009, 5:06 PM
Dean, my point is I don't want you to use varnish and such that build up and will eventually crack and peel, making a lot of unnecessary work to refinish each year. TWP is "total wood protection" that competes with Thompson's water seal. You need to think of this as waxing your car. It lasts long enough to protect and needs to be reapplied.

Dean Karavite
06-07-2009, 6:53 PM
Phil and Mark,

Thanks very much. Phil, I understand what you are saying now. Thanks.

Mark, your pics are intimidating :-), but here it goes. Actually, one of my projects is kind of a miniature version of yours. We live in Philly and in the city the yards are small, but I also built a pergola from red cedar a few years ago and a stone patio. This one I let go without any finish (on the advice of a carpenter neighbor). Would you advice me to go out an oil it now? I'm getting worried - those posts are 6 x 6 and they were not cheap. Still, it is holding up great without anything and I like the greying.

Back to the bench - pics. Item of note, I challenged myself and built the frame with mortise and tenons. I'm gearing up for "real furniture" and used to this work on some skills (learned a lot). The right side of the top is removable and reveals a plastic waste can to store potting soil. I'd like it to go grey too (wood not the waste can), but I'm not sure I want the grain to raise so much. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad and BLO is the way to go? It's just kind of hard taking all this nice smooth pretty wood outside. Gotta let go I guess!

Mark Norman
06-07-2009, 7:16 PM
The pergola looks great Dean. It certainly would not hurt it to give it a drink of BLO. The potting bench looks to be well constructed. Good job on it! It will only look better with age..

Casey Gooding
06-07-2009, 9:17 PM
If you want to preserve the look, a marine varnish is your best bet. Thin it slightly and apply 6-10 coats. The more coats, the more protection.
BTW, this stuff isn't cheap. I just picked up some at about $40 a quart.