PDA

View Full Version : Topsy Turvy Tomatoes

James Jaragosky
06-06-2009, 4:13 PM
The 4 plants on the ground were planted at the same time as the one in the Topsy Tuevy; they get the same treatment and all get the same sun. as you can see the hanging plant is at least twice the size as the next closet one. I planted them all around 3 weeks ago. Better boys, Beef eaters, and one cherry,
The hanging one is a better boy.
No flowers yet, but it looks dam happy.:)

Burt Alcantara
06-06-2009, 4:42 PM
Your ground plants look dry. I'm always arguing with my wife about that so I sneak extra water to them and they do well. The Topsy Turvy is enclosed so it keeps more moisture. But the real test is how they will taste.

James Jaragosky
06-06-2009, 4:55 PM
Your ground plants look dry. I'm always arguing with my wife about that so I sneak extra water to them and they do well. The Topsy Turvy is enclosed so it keeps more moisture. But the real test is how they will taste.
Until today; it has rained everyday for a week. It looks like rain right now, if not I will be watering tonight. I planted all the plants with plenty of cow manure so we shall see on the taste.

Tony Zaffuto
06-06-2009, 5:13 PM
I've looked and looked at the "Topsy Turvy" commercials and have nearly ordered. With your report, I will!

Thanks!

T.Z.

Steve Southwood
06-06-2009, 5:43 PM
Our upside down tomato is doing very good down here in the lower part of the state as well. We have blooms on ours. Wife planted it about 4 weeks ago.

I hear you about the rain. Just about tired of it.

ron hossack
06-06-2009, 5:54 PM
I looked at get that but the wife nixed that idea and showed up outside with a 1 gallon milk jug and some scissors and said ... "make your own".

David G Baker
06-06-2009, 6:56 PM
I have a couple of the Topsy Turvys hanging from my deck. I used Miracle Grow potting soil to plant the tomatoes in. One plant had a couple flowers on it when I planted it. Something that concerns me is the lack of bees this year, hope the plants get pollinated. We have been having occasional frost and cold weather so the plants are not growing as fast as they would if we had warmer weather. So far they are looking good. Most of my plants are in pots this year due to the frost. Several friends and neighbors are having to replant due to loosing everything to frost.

Ted Calver
06-07-2009, 7:57 AM
David,
I noticed the same thing here in VA--not many bees. I help momma nature with a soft artists brush...while making gentle buzzzing noises :)
Home Depot had their 5 gallon buckets with lids on sale a while back so I bought some, cut a hole in the bottom filled with soil and voila!, topsy turvy with a wire handle and lid for a couple of bucks. Since then I have read on my gardening forum (daves garden) that the topsy turvy's want to come out of the bottom and then grow up for the light and when the fruit gets heavy the stems break without some sort of support. Time will tell.

David G Baker
06-07-2009, 9:56 AM
Ted,
I have noticed that the two I have are seeking the Sun as well. Like you wrote, time will tell. Like most of us that are using the upside down system it is an experiment and if it works we will repeat it next year.
I have tried planting tomatoes in the ground but my soil had a lot of pine trees on it and the soil really needs to be doctored. If I get serious about a garden I am going to bring in a bunch of topsoil. I also have a lot of sand and that doesn't help a lot of plants.

Dave Lehnert
06-07-2009, 10:37 AM
I've looked and looked at the "Topsy Turvy" commercials and have nearly ordered. With your report, I will!

Thanks!

T.Z.
Buy it at a local store. TV charges you $16 shipping:eek: (You must pay $7.95 shipping on EACH!)
Walgreen's has them.

Kevin Arceneaux
06-07-2009, 2:56 PM
If you lived way down south, you garden would look like this
http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/4d2368af4ac7b392bb8fb9b23e8c2e5e8ec904b9.jpghttp://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/57b364344115bc25b78db74738fe22b3a2f42a23.jpghttp://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/0bd266140db4db2dba836c28a4d0390eccfb616b.jpg

Dave Lehnert
06-07-2009, 10:57 PM
If you lived way down south, you garden would look like this

With gardening the big thing this year you guys down south purchased most of the vegetable plants. When it was time for us up north to plant, nothing was left.